PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #721 of 4,858
sorry but Mr. saraguie is correct.

Cyperlabs blog has a good summary.

http://www.cypherlabs.com/bit-rate-frequency/

Of course one can load all sorts of files on to a touch/iphone etc but it is downsampled to 16/48 even with external dac/amps.

Headphones only
u8utusan.jpg

Approved apple usb-A port(same result across idevice dac/amps i have tested)
u5ajy2e8.jpg

Or if you want to go in the back door using the CCK in this case to hifi-m8 usb-b for full effect. International+ etc.
uja9e4yb.jpg

As for the impedance rule at 1/8 i have even heard it recommended at 1/10. This is more of a problem for multidriver iems generally.

My hifi-m8 has three settings at 11.2.1 ohm.its good for testing.

A good page that lists sources and amps and their output impedances

http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

Sorry, pictures came out larger than expected.

Mr.?  Who you calling mr? I don't resemble that statement.  
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #722 of 4,858
The Pono player is interesting but a bit risky -- all it takes is a major player like Apple to step in and say "me too" to hi-res tracks and the Pono player turns into a bit of an albatross.  

The question is:  Will any success experienced by Pono get others to move on hi-res and upping mastering quality of audio?  I don't care what brand my audio player has -- I just want better sound on my newer music.  It saddens me that I have to go to CDs I own and have ripped that are 10 to 15 years old to get high quality loudness-free music, but most things I buy from the past few years have clipped audio.  More than a few times, I've gotten excited about a new release by a long-standing favorite musical group, only to find out that the songs on the CD have clipped audio and are a warbly-sounding mess.  

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #723 of 4,858
So how does the PONO sound?

It compares to...what? Better? Worse?

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #725 of 4,858
Apr 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #726 of 4,858
If the pono player can really deliver the magic of a good turntable for $399, I don't care if it looks like a toblerone or a croissant, I'm in. 

I have heard vinyl sounding DACs before, like the tranquility DAC or even the Tera player and they really sound awesome, very special. It can be done, no doubt about it.
If Ayre Acoustics develops the electronics, I'd be surprised if the pono turned out to be disappointing. 

Good to see over 17,630 have already contributed to this project and exceeded the $800 000 goal pledge. $6 M in one month !!!, that's totally awesome!!!

It is happening, I can't wait for the first batch

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #727 of 4,858
I'll be dropping my LE Pearl Jam 100th edition. If anyone wants they can take my place.
I find Pono full of marketing crap atm, and with Geek Wave catching my interest I might just jumped that direction. Although the definition of the wave is still albeit confusion lol.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #728 of 4,858
  The Pono player is interesting but a bit risky -- all it takes is a major player like Apple to step in and say "me too" to hi-res tracks and the Pono player turns into a bit of an albatross.  .

Well,,, http://www.whathifi.com/news/apple-could-offer-high-resolution-downloads-later-this-year

I can't see Amazon wanting to be left behind, either.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #729 of 4,858

I don't see it really being an issue. Apple selling hi-res might just be a headache for them. The vast majority of their customers won't understand what it means and why their devices and computers can't take advantage of it. For many with hi-res DAPs, how nice will it really be to search out the hi res in the ocean of low res on iTunes?

Pono, being only a hi-res brand and already having worked everything out with the labels, starts off with a customer base that knows what they're buying, no need for the company to reeducate them. It reminds me a bit of the HD-DVD and DVD-Audio (if it's a DVD, why can't my DVD player use it?) vs. Blu-Ray (it's not a DVD, it's something new).

Plus, while Apple has a new stock of 24/96 source files, I'm guessing that's mostly new stuff mixed with mp3/AAC as the final product in mind, not the back catalog of classics and audiophile favorites I expect to see on Pono on day 1.

It won't take much of "dude, you gotta hear this Pono thing!" to spread the brand out to the right people

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #733 of 4,858
I just can't see anyone paying more money for a hi res file when there is absolutely no audible difference from a normal resolution file.

When you pay for high res and you see high resolution on the player, your ears automatically gets stimulated and you start hearing big differences.

Don't you know that? Come on how did they accept you here in head-fi?

-sarcasm off-

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #734 of 4,858
I just can't see anyone paying more money for a hi res file when there is absolutely no audible difference from a normal resolution file.

There's already quite a few websites selling High res music. If no one could hear any difference, I think they'd long have been ignored by now.

Take the case of Linn for instance, they sell High end audio equipment and High res files. They've been around for a long time, first as a Hi-Fi manufacturer. They are pretty well regarded by audiophiles. Their 30+ years old turntable Sondek LP12 is still a reference in terms of analogue reproduction. Their top of the line complete systems cost tens of thousands of dollars and while no one will hear any difference playing High res on a sub $1000 music system, a simple demo in one of Linn's show rooms will prove to anyone that with proper equipment, high res do in fact sound much more open, realistic, and enjoyable. Not just barely, the experience is much more open, dynamic and "alive".

There is a lot of gear out there that sounds "pretty good", gear "capable" of playing High res CD's/files (as of "decoding" them), yet, without audibly improving anything because of the internal electronics limitations. In this case, the gear's premise is misleading and certainly feeds skepticism. If it sounds "pretty good", until one has experienced "quite better", why pay more for no audible difference? That's a given.

The fact that the portable audio industry has also been toying around with relatively good sounding DAPs, different tuning/sound flavors, and increasing functionality of "decoding" Higher res files (in many cases, still barely audible) certainly contributes to more skepticism, especially when prices for top of the line DAPs have quadrupled in four years (!!!) 
... Not mentioning the many "scientific" studies of the human audible range... computer analysis... spec sheets numbers... ... ... Quick to conclude that current compressed technology/hardware has reached a point where it can't get anymore "audible" ! So misleading... 

So, while I personally don't expect a $399 pono to rival with a top of the line Linn system, my own experience with analogue vs digital music reproduction and stereo equipment in general has shown that file resolution and equipment go hand in hand in order to experience an audible improvement.
If it is possible with Home HI-Fi systems and some DACs can already do it, there must be room to implement new/better technology to bridge the gap between the common player and higher end audio systems.

Hence the pono player's awkward shape to combine the appropriate electronics components, recent technologic advancements, and Ayre's expertise to deliver a DAP capable of reproducing music in a much more vinyl-like dynamic realistic manner. 
If it succeeds in delivering on its promises, the $400 pono price makes a strong case for Neil Young's main goal to restore the original audio experience to the mass (not just audiophiles or the wealthy), rather than a mere marketing coup solely for his own benefit. 

I really hope he succeeds because the portable audio industry's prices are becoming more and more exclusive. And if he does, no doubt it will be a game changer for the portable audio industry. I got really good feelings about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back