PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 17, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #406 of 4,858
I'd like to see support for the idea that anyone can actually hear the difference between high resolution and 16/44. High resolution is great in the studio while doing signal processing and the like, but I've not seen any convincing evidence that anyone can actually hear the difference once it has been decimated to 16/44.

se

Exactly.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #407 of 4,858
e8yramyb.jpg

Pono pocket rocket.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #408 of 4,858
If all of the great artists that have signature editions release their catalog this is going to be great!

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #411 of 4,858
Does anyone know what headphones are shown in the title screen for the first video on the kickstarter pono site? That that would be interesting to know.

Looks like a pair of Sony MDR V6 or MDR 7506

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #412 of 4,858
Every time I see that word, I think...."Pono arigato, Mr. Roboto, PONO"......am I the only one? 
L3000.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #413 of 4,858
Every time I see that word, I think...."Pono arigato, Mr. Roboto, PONO"......am I the only one? :L3000:

what's that supposed to mean? I only know a domo arigato..

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #414 of 4,858
Bloomberg Businessweek's 'Music Snobs' headline seems to sum up a lot of the response to Ponos (sic), and includes the by-now mandatory link to Ogg Vorbis vreator Chris Montgomery's page about high-resolution audio files.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-17/neil-youngs-ponos-service-and-player-is-for-moneyed-audiophiles

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #415 of 4,858

It almost seems to me that the developers of Pono has not considered something as simple as a SWOT analysis. Their plans on expanding Ponomusic is a complete mystery, and seems very much like an afterthought.

We don't even know why they need the money. We're not talking about young entrepreneurs dipping their toes into business here: Monster Beats headphones weren't a kickstarter.

Well, honestly it feels like a market stunt. Make a high interest in PONO to show that there is an interest to make sure that the big three is prepaired to play ball. Technical jargong to sell something old in a new way. The main thing seems to be a bit like GOG.com - offer music in a high resolution way, without DRM and keep a highly interested well-paying consumer base.

I mean there a some thousand of PONO players leaving the kickstarter website for a future shipment that shows dedication, shows of interest and that they are in the correct time. Player or not - trying to do the same without a "gimmick" wouldn't be as noticed by either media or the record labels.

Keeping it open and DRM free is a ticket to play if they want to keep the new "standard" supported. Also, if other companies can sell "PONO" approved or quality files - then we will see how much it is for the music and how much is for the business :wink: At least that's a few of my paranoia ideas after lunch and with at least one cup of coffee too much... :wink:

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #416 of 4,858
2 things still bug me. One, the estimated delivery time October 2014. This is like a joke really. If It was something closer like only 2-3 months away from now, I would bite the bullet. Two, Young seems to be focusing on only high res files, bit rates, sample rates etc. I prefer quality masters instead of zillion bit rates honestly. I wish he could see it. Otherwise it looks like a marketing gimmick. Better mastering have thousands times more positive effect on audio than the high bit rate / sample rate IMO.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #417 of 4,858
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #418 of 4,858
It takes more than 2-3 months to get the tooling from Toblerone and get all of the suppliers lined up. Not to mention the production line and getting them all built. I don't think 7 months is unreasonable at all.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #419 of 4,858
It takes more than 2-3 months to get the tooling from Toblerone and get all of the suppliers lined up. Not to mention the production line and getting them all built. I don't think 7 months is unreasonable at all.

I agree with your points. It is just I still use my Clip+ and I am thinking about buying a new dap in the coming a few months. Many options are coming, Pono would be ideal with its kickstart price but waiting is too long. In October we will have next generation devices.

Then again, the pursuit never finishes does it?
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back