PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Feb 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #4,621 of 4,858
AH finally cracked the chaos. Partly that WAVs don't seem to be recognised by the PONO for their meta data. So I converted to uncompressed FLAC via XLD. 
Then bought Metadatics for Mac OS to do all the tagging. Took ages but I finally have a clean folder system on the PONO. :) 

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4,624 of 4,858
Like L8MDL, I also leave 10% free on Pono and memory cards. I don't have problems with long scan times either. Might also check your files. A bad file can make the scan take longer. The Pono handles the internal + 2 mSD cards in cache. Love the Pono!

Both of my 128gb cards take roughly 10min to scan even with 10% free internally.  I'm going to wipe it all out and start over and see if I can source the issue. You guys have at least given me hope that it's not just a limitation of the Pono so I'll check the files, try different cards, etc.  Which brand/speed cards are you using for the big ones?  I mostly started having issues with these bigger cards. I get some strange scrolling in the menus with them as well...artists folders popping open and closed several times before stabilizing.  I'm wondering if there aren't read issues with these Samsung cards.  They play fine despite these other problems.

Also, I just noticed you mentioned 10% free on the SD cards as well...mine are packed, so I'll try that as well.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #4,625 of 4,858
Just for the record the Pono caches internal + 3 mSD cards.   This is what the Pono site says "The PonoPlayer keeps a cache for 3 microSD cards, so if you use no more than 3 cards you can swap the cards and the media scan will be quick. If you then insert a fourth card one of the existing 3 databases will be deleted and a full scan is done on the 4th card. That 4th database is then cached. So, if you then insert the card whose database was removed, the player will do a full scan on that card again (and remove the oldest database)."

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,626 of 4,858

Both of my 128gb cards take roughly 10min to scan even with 10% free internally.  I'm going to wipe it all out and start over and see if I can source the issue. You guys have at least given me hope that it's not just a limitation of the Pono so I'll check the files, try different cards, etc.  Which brand/speed cards are you using for the big ones?  I mostly started having issues with these bigger cards. I get some strange scrolling in the menus with them as well...artists folders popping open and closed several times before stabilizing.  I'm wondering if there aren't read issues with these Samsung cards.  They play fine despite these other problems.

Also, I just noticed you mentioned 10% free on the SD cards as well...mine are packed, so I'll try that as well.

What file types are you using?  Are there multiple types?  I don't know if it is the answer, but elsewhere someone was reporting tag issues with wav files.  Maybe the Pono struggles more with some file types than others.  Maybe try loading it with just one file type to see if that helps  I have also always wondered if artwork might add time to scans, but I don't use artwork so don't know.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,627 of 4,858
What file types are you using?  Are there multiple types?  I don't know if it is the answer, but elsewhere someone was reporting tag issues with wav files.  Maybe the Pono struggles more with some file types than others.  Maybe try loading it with just one file type to see if that helps  I have also always wondered if artwork might add time to scans, but I don't use artwork so don't know.

100% flac files. And I only have 2 cards. Swapping either of the 2 takes 10+ minutes to scan. I've rotated through the two enough times they should be the only thing in cache. I do have artwork...it's embedded in the files.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #4,628 of 4,858

I'm using 200gb Samsung cards purchased at Amazon - not third party. It might be worth checking to see if any of your cards are counterfeit - lots of info on the net to do this. I have not experienced any of the problems you have discussed.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #4,629 of 4,858
You have the option for either fixed or variable line-out. No problems with either in my experience. I use fixed and let my amps take care of volume.

I guess I should have been more clear. Does reducing the line out from maximum use software to change sound output and if it does does it do so by decreasing resolution?

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,630 of 4,858
Never had such a long scan done I first gift my Pono, and I have some kind of error in the internal memory. I use a 64 gb card,so I can't comment on cars size, but I have different types files, flac, wave, mp3, I think even some apple files (don't have it with me right now). Doesn't seem to slow it up.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4,631 of 4,858

100% flac files. And I only have 2 cards. Swapping either of the 2 takes 10+ minutes to scan. I've rotated through the two enough times they should be the only thing in cache. I do have artwork...it's embedded in the files.

I am quite sure that it is related with the files.
Be sure to have small pictures of the records (if any) not 35 mb scans
Be sure that all files are ok and not corrupted.
I had long scans with : big pictures and corrupted files.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #4,632 of 4,858
Do any of you listen to your Pono plugged into the charger on a regular basis? The reason I ask is I do home listening 95% of the time and constantly recharging it is doable but gets a little old......

Any know negative effects to keeping it full charged and plugged in while using?

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #4,633 of 4,858
I've listened to it plugged in, can't say I've noticed any adverse sonic effects. (some folks say that kills the battery, though).

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #4,634 of 4,858
Do any of you listen to your Pono plugged into the charger on a regular basis? The reason I ask is I do home listening 95% of the time and constantly recharging it is doable but gets a little old......

Any know negative effects to keeping it full charged and plugged in while using?

I've had mine plugged in for over a year, seldom removing it for portable play. I run it through either my Mac6300 or my Neve or Valhalla 2 amps with no negative effects. Battery seems fine - usually around 5 1/2 hours of play when traveling.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #4,635 of 4,858
Just listened to my Pono Player for the first time in a very long while, and it sounded incredible. Much better than my desktop gear. Music: Jazz at the Pawnshop. IEMs: Westone UM Pro30 IEMs. Absolutely fantastic. 

As most of you here know, Pono has released a new desktop app, Pono Music Vault. Many of us are testing the beta releases. It needs a lot of bugfixes and features, but IMHO it's a far better idea for Pono than the now-expired Pono Music World by JRiver. Many users will never need more than PMV, but for those that do there are a wide range of established choices, including the full JRiver and the free MusicBee among many others. 

Neil Young has also announced that streaming is coming, and has put his own music back on all the streaming services. What will it be? 44.1 FLAC? MQA? Nobody outside of Pono knows. Meanwhile the Pono store is still offline, but to be honest both the store and the client were such a mess that I only purchased a few albums there before heading back to HDtracks a long time ago. Hope they get it right this time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back