Poll: Would you buy a new version of K1000?
May 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ImTodd

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I've been looking into the K1000 a bit recently and, to say the least, it seems to have a following.  Then I started to wonder why in the world they would end production on such a loved product? Then I got to thinking, what if AKG came out with a new version of the K1000? They could even call it the K2K! [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]So that's the question Head-Fi, would you buy a new version of the K1000? Maybe a slightly tweaked version, updated parts, maybe a slightly different design, and maybe even some different colors (Not a big fan of the endearing salmon color). [/size]

May 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 19
What wrong with the colours?? I thought they looked very nice.

I loaned a bass light and bass heavy pair for a couple of weeks; the bass heavy pair were much better, but I found them uncomfortable.

May 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 19
I think it's a very endearing color, not necesarily a very good looking one (granted I haven't actually seen one in person).  I was just thinking some different options would be good. 

May 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 19
Though I haven't seen them in person, I think they look quite nice. Can't really comprehend how they can be comfortable for long term wear though. I also wonder if they fall of easily if you move your head much or brush your head againat a chair or wall.

If they had decent bass, were comfy, and didn't ruin my terribly mastered tracks, I'd snap one up if they were under 1k.

May 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 19
I've been waiting for AKG to put the K1000 back in production. Even a newer flagship model after the K701 would suffice. 

May 22, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 19
My mistake
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
AKG1K are NOT headphones, they are earspeakers.

May 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Though I haven't seen them in person, I think they look quite nice. Can't really comprehend how they can be comfortable for long term wear though. I also wonder if they fall of easily if you move your head much or brush your head againat a chair or wall.

If they had decent bass, were comfy, and didn't ruin my terribly mastered tracks, I'd snap one up if they were under 1k.

Although I've only listened to them in meet conditions, it's safe to say they're pretty comfortable - they don't press you too hard and the really great thing is that yours ears are free of contact with the headphones.

The current model is a bit on the bass light side and has some extensive rolloff below 40-50 hz, in my opinion their biggest flaw. Admittedly, I do appreciate deep bass because of my taste for electronic music, so take that statement with a bit of salt.
Really, it's hard to deal with the bass issue on the K1000 because bass varies with distance and the speakers vary in angle depending on how you set them up; therefore, the amount of bass also varies based on earspeaker angle.

May 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 19
well.  if akg brought the k1000 back, it would be roundly slammed by head-fiers.
why?  because it wouldn't sound as good as the out-of-production version. 
it never could....  
wink.gif

May 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I've been waiting for AKG to put the K1000 back in production. Even a newer flagship model after the K701 would suffice. 

Count me in on that.  I've held back my K1000 quest due to my desire to put together an SR007 rig this year, but the K1000 search will resume in 2011 or 2012.  Either way, I really do love AKG's house sound and would love for them to release a new flagship.  I love the K70x's but they need to release a flagship to rival the other houses's (T1, HD800, PS1000, etc.).

May 23, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 19

Yup, I definitely agree with that.  It's disappointing that they haven't released anything to compete with those guys, it seems like they threw in the towel after they released the 702. 
Quote:
 I love the K70x's but they need to release a flagship to rival the other houses's (T1, HD800, PS1000, etc.).

May 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 19
I would certainly buy one!
It would have to either be a straight revival or a clear upgrade though.

May 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 19
My K 1000 sit right on my temples, which gives me a headache after extended listening.. So I would buy a new K 1000 if they make them more comfortable...

K 1000 on the used market are not that expensive or rare, so unless they can sell the new version cheaper, I don't see any reason to start to remaking them. HE 90/R 10 they are $$$ and rare so to start remaking them makes sense to me.. 

Make the K 1000 sound as good with the speakers far away from your head as when they are sitting against your ears...I would buy new.

Just my thoughts..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back