Poll: Who Will Be Awarded The Next Knighthood Among Rock/Pop Stars?
May 23, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
I don't know who is William Gallagher. Someone mentioned this name on the other thread and I put it in the poll.

William John Paul Gallagher = Liam Gallagher (Oasis).

May 23, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Rabindranath Tagore is from India. As a commonwealth nation its probably possible to have a full knighthood, id assume theres a few canadians and austrailians with them.

In Canada I'm pretty sure that there's a very confusing law that says you can't be knighted AND be Canadian. One would need to revoke Canadian citizenship in order to be knighted. Something to do with all people being equal, I believe.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
William John Paul Gallagher = Liam Gallagher (Oasis).

Cool!

Adam
580smile.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 44
Forget about all this hype surrounding the soccer World Cup in Germany 2006.
Who cares ha, ha, ha, ... What we care about is who'll be awarded the next knighthood - honorary or full knighthood!!! Period.

Adam
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 44
I've just found on the internet (wikipedia):

Peter Doherty: born March, 1979.

... singer and songwriter for the band BabyShambles.
Since 2005, he has becaome well known to the public at large
as a result of his relationship with supermodel Kate Moss.
.... drug problems ...

I did not screen this candidate before putting him on the poll!
Someone suggested him on the other thread of mine. Ha, ha, ha, ...!!!

Adam
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #22 of 44
I love it that Michael Jackson is on the list haha!

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #23 of 44
Sir Boy George! I can't even say it with a straight face! And David Bowie would probably want to wear the Queens crown. Sir Ziggy Stardust! has a nice ring.

And what about Freddie Mercury? Oops, guess you can't make a Queen a Knight.

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Youve got to be British. There are a few people with honourary knighthoods though. Bob Geldof has one. Bill Gates has one too, although I understand that he had to be given some sort of permission from the president. AFAIK, no president has ever refused an american who has been presented with the honour.

Knighthoods tend to be awarded for services to the country. Usually in the form of politics, business, sport or charity. Although in recent years it has become more and more fashionable to hand them out to movie stars, TV actors and singers.

The honours list is drawn up by the Prime Minister, and the Queen and her advisors.

That does it! Now I'm p*ssed off! The lowely yanks aren't worthy huh?
Well let's just take our ball and go play in our own field! I say we start our own honor and exclude the British. We can call it the George Washington honor of state, or something like that. It could be an honorary knod to past great Presidents. Instead of being tapped by the Queens sword, the honored person could be tapped by Clinton's cigar. The sasche could be made from Nixon's missing tapes. Monica Lewinsky could present the honored person with a... well strike that one. Feel free to add ideas here, but YANKS only please!!!

(all tongue in cheek of coarse. we love our british friends!)

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 44
Bowie has more money, but Townshend has probably paid more taxes, and Clapton is the vanilla choice... Pete has been the most anglo-centric, IMHO.

That's my 3, just not sure of the order.

If posthumous is possible, throw in Freddie Mercury.

Sep 5, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 44
From the inlay included with the following CD: 'No Remorse', Motorhead, 1996

"... Britain should knight Lemmy (lead vocals & bass guitar) and proclaim the person a national treasure."

(My emphasis in the text above.)
By the way, Motorhead was called person at the very beginning in 1975!

Should I had known that before I'd have included Lemmy in the Poll!!!

Adam
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #28 of 44
This poll seems to have been bumped, and I dont seem to have cast my vote in for Mike Oldfield. Although yeah, Bowie is probably most likely next. I mean, those trousers in Labyrinth, even the queen would have goggled.

-On recap it seems I did, such is the power of gin on my vision. He deserves a double mention anyway, espeically considering the delayed bump.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back