Poll: Who Will Be Awarded The Next Knighthood Among Rock/Pop Stars?
May 21, 2006 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44
Who'll be the next Knight after Sir Paul McCartney,
Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Elton John and Sir Tom Jones?

Anonymous and Confidantial!!!

By the way, in March I launched the following thread:
"Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Elton John .... Who's Next?"

William Galagher is LIAM Gallagher of Oasis! (see post #16 below)

A propos Ozzy
In June 2002, Ozzy with Toni Iommi (Black Sabbath's guitarist) performed Black Sabbath's
masterpiece at Buckingham Palace for the Quuen Elizabeth II Jubilee celebration.
Both the monarch herself and Prince Charles were present,
earthly rulers playing host to otherwordly regents.
"This means more to me than anything", said Ozzy about being invited guest of the crown.
"Only knighthood would be a greater honour for a poor son of Birmingham".

Oddly, a fierce unexplained blaze broke out in the upper floors during rehearsals as Ozzy was finishing
his sound check, forcing the first evacuation of the palace since the World War II.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this site would blame me for this fierce blaze in the Buckingham Palace.

Adam
580smile.gif

May 21, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 44
Bono can't have one, he's Irish. Same applies for the listed americans.

Bowie is prime named choice on the poll imho. Mike Oldfield also, is well overdue for an MBE, OBE or Knighthood. The mosr recent one wasnt to Paul McCartney either, it was to Tom Jones.

Kieth Richards wouldnt ever accept one, he was pissed off when Jagger took his. Also, I think youve managed to miss the names of both of the Gallagher brothers. (Noel and Liam).

May 22, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 44
Youve got to be British. There are a few people with honourary knighthoods though. Bob Geldof has one. Bill Gates has one too, although I understand that he had to be given some sort of permission from the president. AFAIK, no president has ever refused an american who has been presented with the honour.

Knighthoods tend to be awarded for services to the country. Usually in the form of politics, business, sport or charity. Although in recent years it has become more and more fashionable to hand them out to movie stars, TV actors and singers.

The honours list is drawn up by the Prime Minister, and the Queen and her advisors.

May 22, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Youve got to be British. There are a few people with honourary knighthoods though. Bob Geldof has one. Bill Gates has one too, although I understand that he had to be given some sort of permission from the president. AFAIK, no president has ever refused an american who has been presented with the honour.

Knighthoods tend to be awarded for services to the country. Usually in the form of politics, business, sport or charity. Although in recent years it has become more and more fashionable to hand them out to movie stars, TV actors and singers.

The honours list is drawn up by the Prime Minister, and the Queen and her advisors.

So, do you think that knighthood is getting watered down by handing them out to the likes of actors and singers?

Just curious. I don't want this to turn into a flame war.

May 22, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
So, do you think that knighthood is getting watered down by handing them out to the likes of actors and singers?

Just curious. I don't want this to turn into a flame war.

There is a tradition of offering knighthoods in the Order of the British Empire to cultural figures. Of course, the truly high-octane cultural/scientific types are usually made Companions of Honour, if a vacancy presents itself. One should remember that, while Paul McCartney is called "Sir Paul," Harrison Birtwhistle is too.

The big-league orders, like Order of the Garter and Order of the Bath, are generally reserved for members of the aristocracy and politicians of note. Looking at it like that, one sees that the knighthood is not being watered-down, rather it is continuing much as it always has.

To keep this post on-topic, I will hazard a guess. My money's on Bono. Tony Blair could use the publicity.

May 22, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 44
The thing about those big orders of merit it that they have membership caps measured close to single figures. The current listing for the order of the garter contains only ex-military commanders and prime ministers afaik.

Knighthoods are handed out more copiously, but for the most part, I agree with who they go to. Tom Jones being a case in point, he was well overdue for one.

May 22, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 44
but of course giving Richie Blackmore a Knighthood would suit his current music
icon10.gif

May 23, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 44
William Gallagher is Liam Gallagher of Oasis, as someone said on this thread!

It's so confusing, Keith Richards would NOT accept it, but Ozzy Osbourne is ready!
Bono is not eligible, but perhaps just an honorary knighthood for him,
and that's why he should be in the poll, ha, ha, ha ...!

Shall I, on the behalf of all Head-Fi'ers, write very politely to the Queen?!

Adam

May 23, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
Who'll be the next Knight after Sir Paul McCartney,
Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Elton John and Sir Tom Jones?

Adam
580smile.gif

As I said above the last one was Tom Jones.
In the other thread of mine (March), someone mentioned that Geldof was the 5th knight.
This is not true, as someone mentioned above, and read below.
Of course this is not possible, as someone mentioned here and I knew it.
I wanted to keep Bono in the race because he would be
the top contender as many people on my other thread pointed out!

Here is the relevant info about Geldolf:

... In 1982 Geldof played the lead role of Pink in a film of Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'.
The group broke up in 1986. Geldolf went to become familar face, pictured with Mother Teresa and other world leaders.
In June 1986 Queen Elizabeth II awarded him
Bob Geldolf (Knight Commander of the British empire);
because he is Irrish citizen he is not, as has been published, referred to as Sir Bob.

Perhaps Murray Perahia has also just an honorary knighthood? I don't remember!
I don't know who is William Gallagher. Someone mentioned this name on the other thread and I put it in the poll.

How about Sir AdamCalifornia? I wouldn't mind!

Adam
580smile.gif

May 23, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Youve got to be British.

Are you sure? Quite a few non-British sportsmen have been awarded Knighthood. And I know of atleast one non-British poet (Rabindranth Tagore) who was offered the Knighthood (and he refused to accept it).

May 23, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #15 of 44
Rabindranath Tagore is from India. As a commonwealth nation its probably possible to have a full knighthood, id assume theres a few canadians and austrailians with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back