Poll: Who Owns SE530's or Triple.Fi's ?
Mar 22, 2008 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Two days ago, I purchased Shure SE530's and a set of black "olive" foamies. I haven't opened the box yet, however, probably because I am worried that I'll regret having bought them. I'll explain:

I own Super.Fi 5 Pro's. One of the units broke, and I came to be in the market for a new set of IEM's. While the Super.Fi fit me quite well, I tried the IE-40 (a rebranded Triple.fi) and did not find them comfortable. I think it was something about the slightly increased size of the canal portion. Plus, I didn't like the sound coming out of them, which surprised me quite a bit, as I thought the Super.Fi's were pretty good.

I've owned both Sennheiser HD-650's and Grado RS-1's. I liked the sound presentation of both of them, even though they were very different.

It seems that there is something of a love-fest on Head-Fi regarding the Triple.Fi's these days. And it seems that more people talk about how great the UE's are than the Shure's, even though places like Headroom, TTVJ, and iLounge seem to give the 1st prize (slightly) to the SE530's.

So, I'm posting this poll to see who actually owns which one. I want to figure out if I should open/keep the Shure's, or return them and get Triple-fi's.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 84
I read everything i could about both of those and then the westones 3 that was supposed to come out eventually. The final thing that made up my mind was the cracking cord issue on the Shures. I wanted the comfort but really i read the sound was better on the Triple fi s. I ended up ordering them last weekend and they came Wednesday(two days ago).I am ususally very picky about comfort with head and earphones also. I think i got lucky because the Triple fi fit me right out of the box. I did order the comply foam tips just in case i change my mind after wearing them alot.
The sound was beyond my furthest belief for an in ear set. I did come from Shure E3c s so it is an upgrade but i had no idea that it would be that much of a difference.

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 84
i have previously own 2 pairs of super.fi 5. and now i have the triple.fi. never looked back since
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the E500's, but sold them and now have the triple.fi's, also due to what I've read/posted on here and prefer the cleaner sound.

so which one do you like better?

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 84
My first pair of "real" IEM's were UE 5EB's. They had the best bass thump I ever experienced. Then I discovered the world of Crossroads Mylar X3 which are a lot more balanced. To top that I had to get the Shure E500's PTH which, with the olives give the best detailed, balanced sound so far. Maybe I'll go custom after this.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so which one do you like better?

As I said before, I prefer the cleaner sound of the triple.fi's, better highs and with the Shure Olive's, the bass is punchier. The E500's were a far warmer sounding phone, lacking the highs that I wanted and although they're still a superb set of phones, the triple.fi's are better in my opinion.

Now waiting for the Westone 3 to come out, then I may change again.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 84
I have the Shure E5 and the UE tf10. I much prefer the sound of the UE's-great balanced sound thoughout the spectrum. I always thought the Shure's had a rolled off top end. The UE's correct this imbalance IMO. The UE's don't have as nice a cable as I'd like-out of the box-a high quality supple-braided cable would be nice, but the nice thing about the UE is this can be changed if the user desires as the cables unplug from the earpieces. I don't like the cable on the Shure either. I prefer the lower profile of the Shure as it doesn't stick out of your ear as far as the UE does but, as sound is my most important criteria, I would'nt chose a product based on how it looks over how it sounds. The Westone UM2 earpieces have excellent form factor-very similar to the Shure E5 but with a much better-braided cable that is easy to use over the ear or under-it has a sound signature (very warm) and similar to the Shure E5 but a little different. The Westone 3 sounds interesting when it is released. All this is my opinion of course.

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 84
Man... it really seems like the Triple.Fi's are much better than the Shure's.

Question to you people: if I would want to use the IEM's in a musician environment--monitoring, mixing, etc.... would you still say the Triple.Fi's are better?

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 84
My primary use of these are for monitor duties as a performer (drummer). I use these with electronic drums but not acoustics. Most engineers don't use heaphones/IEMs to mix a project. I do like the ability to use the UEs in a multi-duty role.

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 84
The reason why I pick Shure was because of the black olives. I've had the SE210 for awhile and I was so impress with the isolation so I got myself SE530. I know you can mod UE10 with black olives but I really don't understand how to push that thing out after reading 10 pages.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 84
I got the Triple.FI. The sound amazed me, but it kept falling out of my ears no matter what I did. I read about the FlipSide mod and now it stays in my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back