Poll: Which OS do you use with your iPod?
Jun 7, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #17 of 37
Switched to the Apple OS from Rockbox a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. I'll return to Rockbox once it's out of beta for the iPod -- the constant freezing and low battery life were not exactly ideal.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 37
I have iPodLinux on it, to play doom
biggrin.gif

I also transfer my music on my ipod with linux, using gnupod (command line tool, I absolutely love the efficiency and speed of the commandline). And my mp3s and flacs are located on a linux fileserver (many harddisks make an annoying sound.. so I put the stuff out of the room)

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 37
Stock firmware here, all I use it for is to listen to music, so I don't need anything fancy.
I don't use Rockbox cause of the battery issues, but I don't really want or need it either.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JibJab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify...I mean the software you are using on the iPod itself, not on your computer.

In that case, I use the original Apple firmware.
Rockbox would have been an obvious alternative, if it wasn't for these issues:
1. No support for Mac formated iPod's.
2. High power consumption.

No experience with iPod Linux at all.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #30 of 37
Ipod 80Gb, Apple OS with .wav files, Ipod Nano 2g 2Gb, Apple OS with 320Kbs mp3.

I wanted to use rockbox so bad. with my 80Gb but it just wasn't happening for the longest time. The main reason was to use .flac. Solved that by using .wav.
Downside of the work around is that .wav does'nt support id3 tags editing the itunes database is a PIA.
BTW my main OS is GNU/linux, No iTunes and no .alac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back