poll : what's your frequency kenneth ?
Mar 24, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Why do people here always feel compelled to pad polls with garbage options that completely invalidate whatever useful, or at least interesting, information might otherwise be gathered by the poll?

ROFLMAO! You really gotta learn to look on the bright side of things
biggrin.gif
Though, you do have a good point...

Oh yeah, I voted for the "overall quality of frequency range" option.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #19 of 37
Tonal balance is most important, id rather listen to a pair of headphones that got everything slightly wrong, than a pair that got the bass and mids lovely, and ******** up the treble.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 37
For me it used to be bass/treble (the infamous "V-curve" consumer balance) but now it's definitely mids. I really don't care if bass or treble are rolled off a bit... as many have stated, most of the music lives in the midrange, and bass/treble are like icing on the cake. Helpful to make a good tasting cake of course, but icing by itself isn't very edible.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 37
I'm surprised that highs are so well regarded... I thought they were sort of the audiophile's evil frequency range.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm surprised that highs are so well regarded... I thought they were sort of the audiophile's evil frequency range.
tongue.gif

me as well , to tell the truth I thought the overall freq.s balance would have gone straight up on top of all from beginning ( me I would have gone there with my vote too , but I'm coming from ps1-uber bass-and-the-rest so I'm among bass people at the moment )
the mids relevance is a big suprise too for me

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #26 of 37
I voted for the last one, but I just want to put out a disclaimer that my listening preference does not depend on periods
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
the mids relevance is a big suprise too for me

That part doesn't surprise me much. The HD650 seems to embody the typical audiophile balance: Bloomy bass, flat mids, recessed treble. It seems the mids produce the least controversy (actually you can take away all bass/highs and music is still listenable, but bass alone or treble alone is pretty ridiculous).

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 37
Bass just has to be there, tight and please not of the one note variety.
And please not too much of it.Bass heavy cans like PS-1, L3000, Darth Beyer, Omega II or the bass heavy variant of the K340s are just not for me.
Visceral speaker bass is superior to headphones bass anyway IMO as long as it's clean, tight and not too much (not easy to achieve).
I'm perfectly happy with the bass response of well driven K1000s, I don't need more of it.

Treble.Has to be there, and please no rollercoaster response.Grados are a bit critical in this regard.I don't care for the highest treble since my personal hearing starts to roll off beyond 14.5 kHz and I'm totally deaf beyond 16.5 KHz anyway.

The mids are clearly most important to me.
Fortunately.
With further aging my treble hearing capabilities will further deteriorate, but I guess it won't bother me that much.
I will still be able to enjoy vocals.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
And please not too much of it.Bass heavy cans like PS-1,.. are just not for me.
Visceral speaker bass is superior to headphones bass anyway IMO as long as it's clean, tight and not too much (not easy to achieve).

I don't think to be the only one who think that ps-1 bass , driven properly , is a very right bass ( headphones ). It's kind of difficult to look back after hearing the ps-1 bass quality , and what it adds to music .

It's deep articulate , it does presence without bloom , it's dry , it's solidly deep , it service and serve the rest better then all other headphones I've tried ..

I agree though that a good subwoofers works much better , specially in the case you have to generate heartquakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back