poll : what's your frequency kenneth ?
Mar 24, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 37
Yup,...mids are king.

But dang,..if highs or lows aren't up to snuff, it sure can throw the whole thing off.

My vote's for mids.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
That part doesn't surprise me much. The HD650 seems to embody the typical audiophile balance: Bloomy bass, flat mids, recessed treble. It seems the mids produce the least controversy (actually you can take away all bass/highs and music is still listenable, but bass alone or treble alone is pretty ridiculous).

I totally agree with you about mids, but since decent mids are fairly commonplace, I look for good bass. It seems to be the hardest to get right, and I'm a junkie for rhythm.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #35 of 37
Obviously, you need the whole spectrum to hear music, as even a bass solo gives you frequencies in the mids and highs. But, as granodemostasa said earlier, bass is the foundation of (most) music.

Who's Kenneth (or Kennet)?

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #36 of 37
Story is about an incident in 1986 when CBS news anchor Dan Rather was attacked on a New York City sidewalk by a crazed man yelling "Kenneth, what is the frequency." The man turned out to be William Tager, who was caught when he killed a stagehand outside of the Today Show studios 9 years later. Tager, who is serving a 25 year sentence, said he was convinced the media was beaming signals into his head, and that he was on a mission to determine their frequencies.
After this came out, "What's the frequency, Kenneth" became a catch phrase and was a running joke on The David Letterman Show. Rather had a good sense of humor about it and later appeared on the show, singing this with R.E.M. backing him.
When this became a hit and a Letterman joke, "Kenneth" became a term used for a clueless person.
Lead singer Michael Stipe says this is an attack on the media, who overanalyze things they don't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back