Poll Thread Tidal Streaming and ONKYO DP-X1
Feb 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Try to be as accurate as you can. Meaning if there is a possibility that any issues you want to report might be caused by your environment e.g. you sometimes have issues with Tidal on other devices in the same environment you should select the answer that reflects this. The idea isn't to prove I am correct and others are wrong, it is meant to provide clarity for those trying to determine how extensive or common the problem may or may not be.

So if you are going to indicate there is a problem, please be sure you have tested it enough to say with confidence you have indeed experienced an issue. Same goes for those who may say they have not had a problem, please be as accurate as you can. Thank you.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello Head-Fi-ers,

Been a long time lurker and have been reading this thread for a while now.

I have had my DP-X1 for about a week now and have been using it quite a bit. (loving it)

I too have ran into this Tidal distortion issue myself but it seems to only happens when I'm using balanced cables. 

I wonder what cables people are using that are having this problem. 

Hope this helps narrow down the problem.

Best 

Sliverdog

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Definite stutter on Tidal playing offline music, after every few minutes of playing. Haven't streamed much thus far but (anecdotally) stutter-free. No stutter on the Onkyo player. Playing SE for now.
Seems like a memory retrieval issue from the card, methinks.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Haven't had the stutter issue, but definitely have somewhat prominent hiss on both Tidal and Spotify. Hoping they get the hiss fixed soon. It doesn't destroy the listening experience or anything, and it certainly doesn't drown out the music, but it's definitely there, and it isn't a strain-to-hear-it situation, particularly during quiet moments in the music. Sound from the Onkyo app has been flawless.

Really digging this thing so far though (less than a week). Battery life has been fantastic for me, and the sound is great from the stock player!

I should also note that all of my listening thus far has been SE, as my balanced cables have not yet arrived. All other settings are default, no EQ in place, running current firmware.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 8
I could not pin any issues I have experienced with Tidal to my DP-X1 as I have experienced this with any device I have used, Mobile Phone, PC and DP-X1

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Definite stutter on Tidal playing offline music, after every few minutes of playing. Haven't streamed much thus far but (anecdotally) stutter-free. No stutter on the Onkyo player. Playing SE for now.
Seems like a memory retrieval issue from the card, methinks.

Using Balanced. The issue still persists. However a small wrinkle in an otherwise fabulous listening experience.

May 27, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 8
So my issue has been this extremely loud (bordering on hearing loss) digital pulsating distortion primarily through the right channel on balanced IEMs that occurs seemingly at random anytime I play Tidal.  Never had the issue on the stock player.
Getting very frustrating because I want to be a Tidal user but this is making it hard to yet along dangerous.

May 30, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi.
I read about these Tidal and Spotify issues long time ago but I never had them on my device.
Now it started, since yesterday evening.
I was listening at work with the Tidal App without these issues, came home, switched from my balanced to SE cable and now it just happened. There was no update, I didn't change any settings, it just appeared after switching to SE. Now its also happening in balanced mode.
The Onkyo player does not have this problem and on Spotify and Tidal I get a very annoying harsh background noise.
Its getting worse when I reduce the volume since the loudness of this noise seems not to be effected by the volume control and I can remember having had a similar problem when I first used my ear buds with a balanced cable in balanced mode instead of ACG.
When I reduced the volume under some limit, the ear buds produced the same annoying noise but at a volume level higher then 20 or so, it was gone. Then I switched to AGC mode and the problem disapeared.

Has someone figured out this problem already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back