Poll-Speakers or Headphones?
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

classicalman114

New Head-Fier
Do you primarily listen on speakers or headphones, or a combination of both? For me, the very latter has always been the case. Typically, with prolonged listening to any headphone, my ears become fatigued (which I am certain is the case with everyone), and thus I will have the desire to switch over to listening on speakers.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 21
Mostly speakers these days. There's no neighbor adjoining me, so no one to irritate. :)

I like being able to putter around the apartment without being tethered and speakers are my preferred way of getting a NPR fix. I only use the headphones for serious music listening; catching the news doesn't require serious listening.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 21
both. i do my preceptive listening on both and enjoy both very much. i haven't cleaned my area in awhile since i been busy so i mostly been using my headphones but it don't bother me since i finally have headphones that very comparable to speaker listening but nothing beats my speakers soundstage. it's actually amazing hearing sounds above,behind or side of me outside my head. all my listening is done in stereo as well of course. i don't care for surround sound really.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 21
Headphones. Can't afford speakers of the equivalent price 
frown.gif

Also, it's more private. I'm an introvert, so there's my personality in there. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 21
I have no loudspeakers connected to my desktop whatsoever, just this big receiver whose speaker amp I need to drive my Stax Lambdas.

Ever since I learned how to set up CMSS-3D Headphone just right and get precise, convincing binaural surround sound out of games (especially with the right headphones), I stopped caring about surround speaker setups for the time being. I just don't have the room for it (gotta acoustically treat everything and place those speakers just right), and I don't live alone, which means I don't need to annoy other people in the house with the sound, especially later at night.

On top of that, I don't think I can get any speakers that come remotely close to the sound quality of this vintage Stax setup for $250 or even $500. (Admitted, I got lucky getting this setup for such a low price, but the point still stands. Heck, most Quad ESL pairs go for around $2,500 these days.)

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 21
Primarily my speaker setup in my apartment so I don't have headphones on my head. However, if I have to go somewhere else to work, say my parents, headphones are a must. I did vote for speakers because that is primarily what I will do.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Headphones. Can't afford speakers of the equivalent price 
frown.gif

Also, it's more private. I'm an introvert, so there's my personality in there. 

I use headphones from necessity (as stated before from others, I have a little one, also a window air conditioner kills speaker enjoyment) but....there are speakers that will blow away headphones 5x-10x their price- my used Mirage M-7si ($170) really outperform my $600 Denon D7000's.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 21
I get great pleasure from using both. Depending on whether its noisey in the environment i'll use headphones to disconnect or my bookshelf speakers if there are no distractions and fill my surroundings with the sounds of life at a respectful non-intrusive volume. Too bad some people love to complain no matter how quiet one is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back