Poll: Mega Bass: Love it or hate it?
Dec 18, 2001 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 34
"Mega" & "Bass" are both four-letter words.
eek.gif

Coincidence? I think not!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

"Mega" & "Bass" are both four-letter words.

Coincidence? I think not!

Hey! What's the matter with bass?
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, I think that the amount of base that any given person actually hears is dependant on the cans, album, source, and most of all their ears.
So to say that any bass-boost system is inherently good or bad doesn't really work. (at least not in my mind)
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 34
I voted "indifferent/occasional user" but that's really not 100% accurate. Most mega-bass circuits are so ridiculously overdone that they're useless -- I'd have voted "hate it" because they're basically good for nothing. However, there have been a few mega-bass circuits that were subtle enough to provide a mild boost for anemic headphones and didn't add much noise or distortion. These, unfortunately, are quite rare.

Dec 19, 2001 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 34
Mega bass is crap, complete, utter crap on modern CD players.

On my old Sony D-242, however, the mega bass performs quite nicely on the "Mid" setting for thin sounding recordings. I don't use it at all (I only use the line out, which is a real line out), but with cheap headphones it can actually help the sound, amazingly enough. On my HD600s, ampless out of the D-242, they go from sounding thin and grainy to sounding a bit wooly, and more thumpy, but not too excessively so. On the max setting they are getting boomy, but still less so then on the only mega bass setting on my cheap Panasonic player.

Why don't they make players like this anymore? The D-242 can almost drive my HD600s acceptably, with the mega bass on mid they sound more full then on my Airhead, but also a bit boomier, and the player itself can drive them to downright loud levels.

Dec 19, 2001 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 34
Oh I remember those days when I used to use Mega Bass...

Then I discovered Headwize.

Sometimes I look at my wallet and think: "Man, maybe I woulda been better off if I had stayed a dum-bass..."

Well, it's too late for me now...

Dec 19, 2001 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 34
When I use EX70s sometimes I would cut mid-bass and boost low-bass.

When my brother uses EX70s he uses Mega Bass Max
eek.gif
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 34
I didn't want to sound like a broken record, but to me Mega Bass just creates severely distorted music. And like I said, the implementation of Mega Bass in current portable players just plain SUCKS. Even at the first level, today's Mega Bass causes clipping distortion even at a volume control setting of one-third of maximum - and that volume control setting is still waaaaay too quiet for use with most headphones.

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 34
I like the MegaBass on my Sony MZ-E90 MD player. It doesn't seem to distort, and it makes the sound out of my Ety ER-4P's more full sounding. That might or might not be accurate, but it sure is nice to listen to.

The bass enhancement on my SL-CT780, on the other hand, is not very good at all. Since I can't disable it when I listen through the headphone jack, that forces me to use an amp with it. When using a dedicated headphone amp, like JMT's CHA47 or the Porta Corda, I have absolutely zero need for MegaBass.

Jan 22, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 34
edog, I know you are into dance/electronica so I can see how you would want to recreate that "club sound" but that's good that you don't use it w/ the amps. I would tell you to try to force yourself to listen w/out the bass boost for one full day and see what you think, especially w/ the Etys. It's almost like there is a whole part of your brain that will kick in and be able to hear the bass on a whole other level. Its weird, but try it. If you can make the "no boost" connection in your brain kick in w/ the Etys, you will never go back, and you will have trained yourself to be a much better listener.

'Course if you hate it don't blame me.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back