Poll: Electrical or Computer Engineer?
May 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I've noticed there a quite a few ECE here.  I don't know how much notice I would get  from posting here instead of DIY section.  If you are a ECE, can you state what level of education of have(BS, MS, PHD), state which school(if it isn't too personal) graduated from, what is your specialty in the domain of ECE, and what type of work you do, and when you have graduated.  Thanks.

I'll start.

I am a BSEE graduated a year ago, and working the security industry.

May 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 9
I wouldn't be surprised to find out 20% of headfi is related with EEE.

I'm a Ch. E. involved in metallurgical and production process and I have seen a couple of fellow met and chems around here, literally a couple (2)

May 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I got a BS in ECE in '07 from University of Alaska Fairbanks, and topped it with an MS in Engineering Management from the same in '10. Since then, I have done not a single day's work as an Electrical Engineer :p. I work as a field engineer operation smart tools in the Arctic Oilfield drilling new re-entry wells on Coil Tube Drilling with Electrical Line input/output instead of standard mud pulse telemetry. When I'm not in the field, I'm working on a PhD in Petroleum/Civil Engineering, also from UAF.

May 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm going civil or structural. Haven't decided yet.

Started out in Architecture but it isn't my thing... I just didn't enjoy it at all. I like doing CAD/inventor stuff a lot though.

May 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 9
I wouldn't be surprised to find out 20% of headfi is related with EEE.

I'm a Ch. E. involved in metallurgical and production process and I have seen a couple of fellow met and chems around here, literally a couple (2)

Chemical Engineer here too (Bachelor and Master degree working in the electronics manufacturing industry for about 15 years). My brother is a EE (and yes, the geek gene does seem to run in my family). :D

May 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 9
yes you were one of the two I was talking about 
biggrin.gif

what does a  fellow chemie does in an electronics manufacturing industry? if i may ask.

May 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 9
yes you were one of the two I was talking about 
biggrin.gif

what does a  fellow chemie does in an electronics manufacturing industry? if i may ask.

There is a lot of chemical processes in electronics manufacturing (you'd be surprised). The rest is OTJ training/learning (an engineering degree is a great piece of paper that says that one can learn fairly quickly). For me personally, now more is on the management / business development side.

May 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 9
English major!

Then I shuffled off to law school and later went back for another degree in accounting.

I do have an amateur radio license and took electronics shop in high school. Probably should have gone hard science - I hit the 99th percentile in science on the ACT. But I'm also into books, so spending four years reading books and drinking beer seemed like a good idea. (And it was fun. :))

An EE degree would be fun and valuable, but I don't think there's much coursework in vacuum tubes today. You have to poke through niche publications, hobbyist websites and electronics texts printed before 1960 or so. I pick those kinds of books up in junk stores whenever I find them.

May 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
An EE degree would be fun and valuable, but I don't think there's much coursework in vacuum tubes today. You have to poke through niche publications, hobbyist websites and electronics texts printed before 1960 or so. I pick those kinds of books up in junk stores whenever I find them.

None that I recall. If I remember correctly, they'd get a mention in some books, 3-4 paragraphs in a couple of others, and one course actually had a single problem in the first homework assigned that had something to do with vacuum tubes in the curriculum taught to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back