[POLL] CD, Vinyl or Digital Download?
Dec 25, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #17 of 37
Vinyl Rips.

The quality of the vinyl packed with the easy nature of the cd.Pure win.

if there isn't a good vinyl rip available , then cd.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 37
Vinyl is definitely my sound choice  just for the pure sound .  As I sit here listening to  brand new  180 gram audiophile version of Journeys "Escape" album I got for XMAS  all you can say is wow . I also like looking at and reading the full size album covers and art.  Cd would be second , if done right certain Cd's sound pretty good , have a audiophile Marantz  CD player I used and it sounds pretty good. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #20 of 37
Digital then CD. I don't have any vinyl, and I probably won't be able to afford it for a long time! College student here...

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #21 of 37
Vinyl's cheap - depending on the record.  I take a trip to my local record shop about 3-4 times a month and never spend more than $10 per album.  In fact my first stop is at the dollar box - every once in a while there's a nice gem hidden in there.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #22 of 37
CD first and foremost.  Digital download next if the price of the cd exceeds the cost of the download (typical of some hard to find stuff).  I never buy vinyl...see my signature. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #23 of 37
I do CD.  Rip 'em and do computer as source.  Computer as source is so convenient for organizing the collection and making it easy to pick what to play.

I'll do digital downloads for things like eTree.

I'm very reluctant to pay for for digital downloads cause I get nothing in return (no right to resell or even give away) and I can't purchase any digital downloads used like I can with CDs (I buy many of my CDs used).  It will be a very sad day when the only way to buy music will be digital downloads and the used CD/vinyl stores are gone.  I like having a physical media that I can sell, trade, and collect.  It's somewhat fulfilling to be able to look at a physical item and say that's what I spent my money on.  It's not quite so fulfilling to look at $8000+ in sunk costs spent on digital downloads and all you have to show for it is bits on a hard drive.  With CDs and vinyl you've got something physical and you can sell, trade, lend, give away, collect, and some even appreciate in value.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #24 of 37
"Snap, crackle, and pop is for breakfast cereal, not for music.  Go digital."

I find some nostalgic value to that snap, crackle and pop; But that's funny nonetheless. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 37
CDs for me too.
and like most, I like to rip them and then use computer/DAP as source...

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:

Conversations about piracy will not be tolerated. 

Thank you.  :)

Where's the option for all three?  :D

And can we add SACD, DVD-A and reel-to-reel?

I'm not picky about the format.  I want lots of music and excellent recordings.  Black disc, silver disc, tape, or hard drive, I don't care.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 37
This is an interesting question because it asks several questions at once. For me, CD is above all. I like the vintage sounds of vinyl, but it's not so much an optimal choice anymore. And digital is an ever refined process. They key word being "refined". Not only are most songs downloaded in either 164 or 192 kbps mp3's but then the file loses quality everytime time it is moved or read by the server it's being held on.  Not to say that digital downloads don't have their place, but CD's and their quality holds a steady lead in my book. (at least for now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back