Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Dec 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #331 of 551
Quote:
It really doesn't matter because that high a frequency isn't really in music anyway.

What it does correlate to though is being able to hear really well in the lower frequencies as they are that much easier to hear opposed to the upper frequencies.

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #332 of 551
Maybe you are right, I am complete newbie in audio so can't debate much about this. 

But if foobar is correct, there is some sound in 20k Hz. I would guess it's from cymbals. 

Added detail 

What do you think ?

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #333 of 551
I don't think it was meant literally... or at least I hope that's the case: "isn't really" means "not much" rather than "not at all".

The is certainly some energy in those frequencies in many recordings, mostly from certain percussion or synthesized sounds. However, the amount of energy relative to everything else is generally low, nobody perceives frequencies that high as well as some lower frequencies (many people not at all), and the importance is further diminished by auditory masking when music containing more than just a single test tone is played.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #334 of 551
Quote:
I don't think it was meant literally... or at least I hope that's the case: "isn't really" means "not much" rather than "not at all".
The is certainly some energy in those frequencies in many recordings, mostly from certain percussion or synthesized sounds. However, the amount of energy relative to everything else is generally low, nobody perceives frequencies that high as well as some lower frequencies (many people not at all), and the importance is further diminished by auditory masking when music containing more than just a single test tone is played.

Yea probably. I just wanted to react, because if I remember correctly I even read here in thread something like "there is no music over 14k Hz" and I am pretty sure there are at least cymbals in higher frequencies + as you say synthesized sounds.

And yes, these sounds are harder to hear also because there are usually guitars and other instruments, but with EQ like this 

I can hear them much clearer and I enjoy that.

Guess this isn't natural sound at all but ... with this EQ setting I feel like most of music I listen to finally woke up. (And I can hear those higher frequencies)

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #335 of 551
I first realized I could hear sounds too high for my parents to hear when I could reliably hear the old ultrasonic alarm systems used in stores in the late 1950s, early 1960s.  I hated going into certain stores because they hurt my ears.  My folks thought I was nuts until we went into a small music store and I almost couldn't stand it.  I complained so much that the owner overheard me.  He went and turned it off.  I told him I could tell it was off.  He went back and turned it on again, then tried to fool me by saying it was off when it was on, and I called him on it.  Those were 19KHz, and were supposedly "inaudible to humans".  Guess not.  When I had access to test gear and headphones I found I could hear to 23KHz as late as my early 20s.  Used to hear the entire 20-20KHz sweeps on tape recorder test tapes, no problem.  Now I barely get past 15KHz without a lot of extra level.  I'm 56, and have actively protected my ears for my entire life.  Never even attended a loud concert. Got a touch of tinnitus too, darn it.  

The poll would be more meaningful if it also polled age and sex.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #336 of 551
Wow :). Yeah I hate being at very loud events. My ears constantly crackle and are in pain... :frowning2: I noticed this issue even from a young age attending assemblies and the blaring loud speakers, people shouting, screaming lmao. I'd be covering my ears. What always puzzled me is that most people are oblivious to the damage this stuff is doing to their hearing (desensitized). Then again I think the damage already done makes it harder for them to notice to begin with :p.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #337 of 551
Upper harmonics on cymbals is all there is up there and it isn't even particularly important to the sound of a cymbal.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #338 of 551
I hear everything, but i dont know correct, i hear 22Khz, 22khz sounds like a old lamp sssss its true 22khz sounding ? maybe i dont hear 22khz sound? 22khz sounds sssss ? i am 21 years old.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #340 of 551
Probably something wrong with the tone or the playback of it if 22Khz is louder... For whatever reason there can be a lot of problems with playback of really high frequencies, at least in my system.

I don't really know what an old lamp sounds like, but the lightbulb on any lamp would be emitting some high frequencies. I used to be able to hear lightbulbs in separate rooms but not so much anymore.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #341 of 551
Sounds like an aliasing problem. What test signal did you use? What's the sample rate? Which player did you use? Which DAC?

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #343 of 551
Right click the speaker icon in the tray area - playback devices - select your device - go to advanced and change the default format to 24 bit 48 kHz or even 96 kHz.
Then try again with proper test files.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #344 of 551
Can't tell if I can hear over 20khz or if I'm just imagining it based off the click sound in the beginning..

I can tell when there is suppose to be noise but, I don't know if my brain is just filling it in or not.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #345 of 551

I can only hear up to 18khz... is that even normal for my age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back