Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #166 of 551
I can barely make out the faint shrill of 20 kHz off the MFSL Sound Check CD, but my wife can hear it clearly to the point where she popped out of the next room to ask what the heck I was doing...
I was shocked...She had no idea that I was testing tones and was watching a movie on her MacBook at the time...What...18 kHz to 20 kHz really annoys her...Now I can use those tones against her...Hehehe...

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #167 of 551
I can barely make out the faint shrill of 20 kHz off the MFSL Sound Check CD, but my wife can hear it clearly to the point where she popped out of the next room to ask what the heck I was doing...
I was shocked...She had no idea that I was testing tones and was watching a movie on her MacBook at the time...What...18 kHz to 20 kHz really annoys her...Now I can use those tones against her...Hehehe...

females are known to have better hearing perception than males. that's why it's shame to see less females as mastering engineers cause lot people that are needs to get punched in the face for peaking the top-end to air response in lot of stuff nowadays. i'm pretty sensitive to high frequency as well cause i get annoyed with my brother playing those stupid mosquito sounds(i can hear them from the next room) and get annoyed with electronics sometimes if i don't have headphones on cause electronics(especially CRT monitors) give off a 16khz tone which can be really annoying.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #168 of 551

Quote:
Yeah right... that's highly unlikely. Listening at loud volumes makes the test meaningless due to the reasons mentioned before. Also, what signal generator? We've seen before that some signal generators don't produce clean signals. Why not use the lossless files I've posted?

I used a Instek gfg-8020h signal generator and confirmed it was a "clean" electrical signal using the Tektronix 2214 Oscilloscope.
Sorry but i did not read all 11 pages in the thread, could you re-stste some of these reasons?

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #169 of 551
Because cranking the volume can cause distortions that will make the result audible while the pure tone is not.

If anything, you should turn the volume down with increasing frequency. Look at the frequency spectra of some recordings, you'll notice that at 20 kHz the levels are down ~25 to 45 dB.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #170 of 551

Quote:
Because cranking the volume can cause distortions that will make the result audible while the pure tone is not.
If anything, you should turn the volume down with increasing frequency. Look at the frequency spectra of some recordings, you'll notice that at 20 kHz the levels are down ~25 to 45 dB.

is there any reason for the studios to do that? By volume causing distortion are you referring to the distortion caused by physical mechanism of the pot?

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #172 of 551
Yeah on a Dark Side of the Moon / Us And Them vinyl rip 20 kHz is down 65 dB compared to 100 Hz. That's just the way it is. On some recordings it's actually noise that dominates at ~20 kHz instead of "musical content".

Distortion can be added nearly everywhere. The signal generator itself, resampling, D/A conversion, amplification and the speaker / drivers themselves can all add distortion. Turning up the volume certainly increases the distortion of the drivers.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #173 of 551

Quote:
*snip*
 i'm pretty sensitive to high frequency as well cause i get annoyed with my brother playing those stupid mosquito sounds(i can hear them from the next room) and get annoyed with electronics sometimes if i don't have headphones on cause electronics(especially CRT monitors) give off a 16khz tone which can be really annoying. *snip*

This is how i am. I'm 18 and have pretty good hearing. I can hear the 23kHz tone on from the test on the first page if i turn it up a little extra, even with background noise. Noises that high take my ears a few seconds to recognize, but i have the same problem with CRTs, and most of my friends my age can't even hear them.

As a note though, my mom had excellent hearing when she was younger. The navy tried to recruit her as a sonar operator, her hearing range was something ridiculous. Maybe i got some of it from her, and from not being around for as long as some people 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #174 of 551
I can't hear past 20khz, the last registered sound is at 16khz and I do have sensations of all of the sounds beyond that but that obviously don't count.

EDIT: provided that I played the sounds on my netbook's speakers, is there a possibility that they won't go that high?

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #175 of 551
Lets see. Played drums at 14 to my Marantz 2235 via dynaco a25's (still got em and they are still working great) cranked to Zepplin. Switched to guitar and played in multiple bands practicing in horrible small little rooms clubs etc... NOPE.  Still good to 12k at 50+ though.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #176 of 551
These sorts of tests are very unwise because invariably some stupid kid will come along and crank the volume so he can hear the sound pressure of the ultra high frequency and end up with hearing damage, guaranteeing that sound pressure is all he'll ever get from high frequencies.

The idea is to leave the volume the same for all tones. If you can't hear them at normal volume, you can't hear them. Anyone can detect sound pressure on any frequency if it's loud enough, but that isn't hearing.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #180 of 551

Quote:
...up to 21.5kHz. But I think I need to do this test again with a better source equipment. I suspect my hearing does not extend that far, and that it is my hardware not processing correctly, and that what I'm hearing is indeed some kind of distortion.

When my DX100 comes in, I'll try this test again; it should be able to reproduce those tones faithfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back