Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #151 of 551
Quote:
Quote:

Hah, I tried this tool, it's horrible. Didn't you notice that the sine tones are distorted??? A sine is supposed to be a pure, clean, single tone and not some distorted mess.
Therefore, your "28, male: 13Hz~22kHz." statement is as invalid as most of the others.

Oh, I didn't think it sounded distorted, but I don't have any experience with sine generators; you could be right, I'd be happy to download an appropriate program and try again. I'm not trying to impress anyone; I'd like to know my true hearing abilities like everyone else. What software can I find for OS X?

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #152 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hah, I tried this tool, it's horrible. Didn't you notice that the sine tones are distorted??? A sine is supposed to be a pure, clean, single tone and not some distorted mess.

I tried it, and it does seem to have some distortion, although I am not sure how audible it is, as the level of distortion is not very high. But I do not see the point using this program over the free SineGen anyway, as it is commercial, produces worse output, and even has less functionality.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #153 of 551
Feb 2, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #155 of 551
...up to 21.5kHz. But I think I need to do this test again with a better source equipment. I suspect my hearing does not extend that far, and that it is my hardware not processing correctly.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #156 of 551
Quote:
I can hear 19 kHz.

That's excellent. I assume that most people around here cannot hear higher frequencies than this, provided they don't crank the volume, use lossless files and equipment that doesn't resample or audibly distort the pure tones and so on and so forth. (Of course there are some exceptions, but certainly not as much as 30% as suggested by the poll above.)

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #157 of 551

Quote:
That's excellent. I assume that most people around here cannot hear higher frequencies than this, provided they don't crank the volume, use lossless files and equipment that doesn't resample or audibly distort the pure tones and so on and so forth. (Of course there are some exceptions, but certainly not as much as 30% as suggested by the poll above.)

30% is indeed ridiculous.  Even with the selection bias on Head-Fi and younger people reporting.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #158 of 551
male, 20, east asian (does that make any difference?), buffalo 24 -> d1 stage -> b22 -> k1000, roughly 19680hz (using SineGen). have been listening continuously 4 hours a day in the past 5 years so that might affect my hearing somehow.
It's striking seeing some people can hear above 20khz.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #159 of 551
Er, without being offensive to anyone, it's possible that there's a certain amount of 'economy with the actualité' in play here.

Many people here cannot be said to have nothing to lose, even if it's only credibility.

For myself, I can easily hear up to 23k, any less and people would be justifiably sceptical when I review a piece of equipment.

I can detect down to 14Hz if I take my shirt off to let my chest hair pick up the vibrations.

You all believe me now, don't you? ...we could have a poll on it.

w

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #161 of 551
Using the flac files in both winamp and foobar, I can hear all of them loud and clear, or I should say I can hear the harmonics my cruddy setup is pooping out at me.  In SineGen, cutoff is precisely at 17k, which by now I'm not sure to think whether that's average or below-so.  Male, 24, no concerts or other loud hobbies to speak of.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #164 of 551
It's striking seeing some people can hear above 20khz.

they don't. it's just resonance/noise generated by the driver or harmonic distortion. i believe also tones at 44.1/48khz as well takes massive dip after 20khz as well so might be harmonic distortion generated by the dac used. only speakers from what i know using ribbons or compression horns can fully extend above 20khz. not headphones. you be lucky if a headphone can go flat up above 14khz since most headphones drop after 10khz big time and lack complete air(around 14khz is where air is).

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #165 of 551
I connected my headphones directly to a signal generator and could hear up to 24kHz at loud volumes. Male, 16, no hearing impairment.

Yeah right... that's highly unlikely. Listening at loud volumes makes the test meaningless due to the reasons mentioned before. Also, what signal generator? We've seen before that some signal generators don't produce clean signals. Why not use the lossless files I've posted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back