POLL: Can you actually hear the difference between high bit-rate mp3 and lossless?
Aug 17, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #106 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With hard drives coming down in price, it is utterly pointless to do anything less than full resolution. You'll just end up re-ripping in a year or two when curiosity will no doubt get the best of you. You can right now buy a 1 Terra byte hard drive for $150.

You are damn right...the OCD thingy got the best of me...now i am re-ripping my CD's into ALAC for iPod..

i just can't tolerate 128 kbps files anymore.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #107 of 112
Frankly, anything above the quality of 96kbps Nero6 HE AAC is wasted on me, at least in terms of portable listening, which is about all I do, except for the onboard (SigmaTel) sound chip of my Gateway PC, which doesn't really seem to significantly outperform my Sony DAP.

I tend to fall into the category of hearing ability represented by the test method at Audio quality of aac vs. mp3 vs. wma vs. ogg encoders - SoundExpert . It's really a nice place to help people find a good format and bitrate for portables.

In fact, I would say the transparency level is somewhere from 4.5 to 5 on their scale, for me.

I'll have to look into it again when I get some better equipment.

I'm accepting donations
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #110 of 112
easily and always with headphones, depends on the system with loudspeakers,
but quite easy with good headphones.  

(your mileage may vary)

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #111 of 112

Quote:
easily and always with headphones, depends on the system with loudspeakers,
but quite easy with good headphones.  

(your mileage may vary)

I gotta agree.  There are just some songs that no matter what you do, have to be listened to as lossless.  Mostly songs with alot of hi-hat, but the muddy lows will do it too.   I have some songs that I  ripped at 128 that I just have to delete cuz I can't stand listening too in any lossy format.  In general I use ALAC, but the absolute minimum for me is 320 for studio stuff and 256 for live.  Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper" is usually my example of a song that has to be lossless.  And ymmv, so if you don't hear a difference more power to you.  It means you can have more songs taking up less space
smile.gif
, lucky you.  Me, if listening to a good system with speakers, can tell if one speaker is off axis (even an inch), depending on the recording of course.  I'm also going to give the cowon J3 a go since it can handle FLAC files.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #112 of 112
I believe I can hear a difference with my rigs, so tend to rip as flac for the home setup and then convert to 320k mp3 for my pmp. It can play flacs, but I have found I prefer to squeeze more songs onto the limited memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back