POLL: Can you actually hear the difference between high bit-rate mp3 and lossless?
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests, weigh in on whether or not you can actually hear the difference between 320kpbs, 256kbps, or lossless compression like apple's lossless, etc. Where do your ears stop?

UPDATE: Please confine your comments to headphones, not speaker-based systems.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 112
I really don't think I can tell any difference on my (admitedly not high end) equipment between 320k MP3 and lossless, though I voted 'maybe'. I do keep lossless wav files for archiving, though I'm perfectly happy with my MP3s for all listening purposes.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 112
I'm not sure I can tell a difference either. Maybe its my equipment, maybe its my ears... I do have mine ripped with apple lossless, but I'm afraid that ties me too much to ipod and itunes. I'm still deciding whether or not that's a problem for me...

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 112
A more accurate title for this thread might be 'Do you believe that you can you actually hear the difference between high bit-rate mp3 and lossless'...
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 112
I think it's more plausible on home systems, but a stretch on portables. And I hope you're referring to portables since this is in the portable forums.

And yes, I agree with ILikeMusic.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's more plausible on home systems, but a stretch on portables. And I hope you're referring to portables since this is in the portable forums.

Then you can assume I'm speaking of portables.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 112
Quote:

Nothing but placebo.

Huh?
confused_face_2.gif

Have you heard loseless through a decent system? Maybe you can't tell a difference, but that does NOT mean it's so called "placebo". It is ripped at higher bitrates, and there IS a difference, it's just how well you can hear, and what kind of system you have.

Some people can, some people can't. I find nothing wrong with that.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A more accurate title for this thread might be 'Do you believe that you can you actually hear the difference between high bit-rate mp3 and lossless'...
wink.gif

Why? I don't believe I can hear a difference, I actually can. So there's no "believing" what-so-ever. Either you can, or you can't.

The title is correct. Leave it as is...

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 112
The cost for memory to hold lossless as opposed to the amount spent on silver or gold cables, high end amplifiers and relatively high priced headphones is minimal. I seem to tell a slight difference with each upgrade(including lossless) why would i possibly skimp on something so cheap. Over $300. just for the ALO harness cable to my Lisa lll and i am going to listen to 320 or 256 bit rate? I don't think so. But if you've got a pair of headbuds and an ipod you might as well, chances are you won't hear a difference.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? I don't believe I can hear a difference, I actually can. So there's no "believing" what-so-ever. Either you can, or you can't.

The title is correct. Leave it as is...

Whatever you say. None of us can tell you what you do or do not believe/hear. That's not our business.

Though I don't believe you.
tongue.gif
And that's my business.

I guess it depends on what you're talking about. Between 128 and lossless there might be a perceivable difference. Between v0 VBR, 320 CBR, and lossless? Nah. Even 192 is a stretch if it's well-encoded. I'll still choose to believe that it's placebo.

Unless the "portable" we're talking about is an iMod with a home-desktop amp or iRiver with a home-desktop DAC/amp setup or equivalent.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 112
Quote:

Whatever you say. None of us can tell you what you do or do not believe/hear. That's not our business.

Though I don't believe you.
tongue.gif
And that's my business.

I guess it depends on what you're talking about. Between 128 and lossless there might be a perceivable difference. Between v0 VBR, 320 CBR, and lossless? Nah. Even 192 is a stretch if it's well-encoded. I'll still choose to believe that it's placebo.

Unless the "portable" we're talking about is an iMod with a home-desktop amp or iRiver with a home-desktop DAC/amp setup or equivalent.

I respectfully disagree with you concerning the difference between 192kbps and lossless, I can clearly hear the difference on HD600s.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 112
I run aac and with 192 I could pick the right one about 4 out of 5. With 320 I was down to about 1 out of 2 wich to me as the same as I saying I can't really tell the difference. There did seem to be a difference depending on the kind of music though. The more complex the music the more often I would pick the lossless version. However this was all in a quiet home listening environment. I mostly use my music files on the go and here the difference is even smaller given background noise etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back