Poll: Best Dynamic?
Nov 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

The Neverhood

New Head-Fier
Hello Everybody!

I have an absence of knowledge in terminology, and I'm quite obscure regarding audio, please forgive the ignorance in my post.

I swear I'm becoming mentally impaired through spending excessive amounts of time reading review after review, and still not coming to a conclusion. I spend more time researching audio then actually listening to music, and appreciating my current phones. I have learned quite a lot from my limited experience, and have concluded that no amount of reading can compare to actual experience! While the community here at head-fi.org is amazing, and so very helpful. I often become overwhelmed within the impressions, and reviews. I try to cross-reference impressions however that becomes contradictory for the most part, and never becomes consensus!

I have recently sold my entire IEM collection consisting of the IE8, SE530, CK10, and Phonak PFE. In order of searching for the best dynamic earphone regardless of price. My favorite of the above would the IE8 I really love the smooth, natural and warm sound signature, however I often find them muddy at times. I listen to wide range of genres, however frequently prefer rock, pop, and classical. In the past I have been heavily into trance, hence the CK10, however as of now I rarely listen to such genres.

Now I was quite astonished of the IE8's presentation, the soundstage was the widest of my collection, vocals were equally astonishing. Everything sounds so expansive and engaging. Micheal Jackson sounds amazing on the IE8, however sounds lifeless, congested, and cold on the CK10. From my limited experience, I prefer dynamics to armatures. I fail to describe why I prefer dynamics due to the above reasons, however something about the dynamic sound signature appeals to me! (Could be entirely psychological)!

I have taken interest in the following:

Vsonic GR07

Sony EX600/EX1000

IE8 with improved cable

HJE900

JVC FX700

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I appreciate the time taken to post.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 12
With universals, I'm guessing it's down to the EX1000 vs the FX700. What will determine your purchase between these two is the sound signature you prefer.

I could see you leaning to the FX700 due to its big bass, big soundstage type of sound.

I've heard the EX1000 and it's very neutral with a large soundstage.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 12
The HJE900s are muddier than the IE8s. 

The GR07 and Sony EX600/7550/1000 are the most linear, technically capable universal dynamic IEMs. The GR07 is on the warmer side, the Sonys are a tad clearer and I think may actually be more linear (recently been comparing). The GR07 is overall more ergonomic though, similar to the IE8 while the Sonys will have a bit less isolation and will be trickier to insert and use. You can try the EX600 first if you don't want to go all in for the 1000s, they're both very close in sound. 

FX700 is what I'll call the most capable highly colored dynamic IEM. I do think it can sound a bit too warm at mid/higher volumes and it's treble can be too in your face without having that much extension. These are pretty special with low volume levels, but that limits their overall use. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
With universals, I'm guessing it's down to the EX1000 vs the FX700

I concur. 
smile.gif
 For me personally, it'd currently be the EX1000, FX700, FXT90, and EX600.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks everyone for posting!

I have decided that the FX700 would be unsuitable due to isolation. The IE8s isolation was sufficient for myself, and ranked 2.5 on Jokers comparison, while the FX700 being rated 2.0. I'm not entirely sure, but willing to bet the FX700 leaks considerably more sound being open-back. I was using the Sony Hybrid tips on the IE8, and that may have improved isolation.

Could anyone compare vocals and soundstage between the EX1000, EX600, GR07, and IE8?

EDIT - I have just been reading Jokers review on the RE262, and seems to be very good contender! I'm now even more perplexed!

I really wish there was somewhere in the UK that I could audition every top-tier IEM! I'm strongly considering buying all-three the RE262, EX600, and GR07!

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 12
If you are willing to invest in aftermarket cables, the IE8 with the Beat Audio Supreme Pro are by far the best universal IEM I have heard. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 12
That was my initial intentions, however I'm now intrigued of the RE262.

I would appreciate any comparisons between the RE262 and IE8.

Some say the soundstage was disappointing, and others stating the opposite!

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 12
The 262s really require an amp to shine. I didn't have one at the time and they sounded quite dull in comparison with the IE8s. They have more mids emphasis and treble is slightly laid back in comparison. Bass have a lot less authority than the IE8s.

Soundstaging wise the RE262s had better proportions than the IE8s but the overall space is smaller. IE8s sounded like a concert hall vs a mid sized club of the RE262s. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have now ordered the RE262, and will post review here once I have passed my crash-course in sound terminology!

I currently have the Fiio E7 and CmoyBB 2.02, so their shouldn't be any problems regarding amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back