POLL! Best basshead cans! 200$ and below.
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #46 of 151

Quote:
Anyways, the best seem to be dt990 pros (170$) and mKII - 135
Because dt770 are just "bad" when compared to the dt990 which are the bassiest open headphone ever
smily_headphones1.gif

it really depends on the sound you are looking for.  the bass on the 990s doesn't come close to the 770 pro 80. 
and the 770 pro 80 can be had for pretty darn cheap which leave $$$ for amp/source.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #47 of 151

Quote:
it really depends on the sound you are looking for.  the bass on the 990s doesn't come close to the 770 pro 80. 
and the 770 pro 80 can be had for pretty darn cheap which leave $$$ for amp/source.

Dosen't come close? not according to my friend that just got them today :p, he's had both, let me ask him about this quote, brb.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #48 of 151
They're not even close for me either.  

Honestly you might come away underwhelmed expecting an open headphone to provide the same type of bass as a closed headphone.

The way so many people have described the DT990s I was expecting something to literally knock my eyes out with every hit of a drum because people have raved about their impact being huge, but it wasn't really true.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #50 of 151
No I've only tried the 600Ω one.

I know people say the pro editions have more bass because they have a better clamp, but I can't see it as being enough of a difference to put it in closed-back territory.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #51 of 151
any of them.  they all have the same drivers.
the pro 990s have a little more because of the tightness on your ears, but the 770 pro 80s are pretty much bass canons when powered.

but its really more about what you are after.
the 990s have more highs and a little more mids than the 770/80s(just a bit more balanced).
but the bass and sub bass on the 770 pro 80s is a very very noticable step jump up

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #52 of 151

Quote:
the pro 990s have a little more because of the tightness on your ears, but the 770 pro 80s are pretty much bass canons when powered.

I'm using the xb500's right now, how would you compare their bass?

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #53 of 151
770s are aobut on par with that but better quality when powered i think. overall  perhaps a hair less bass and bloat.  i haven't ever a/b'd the 500s with either but have spent some time with them as my friend has a pair.
the 990s are less.

but to me the xb500s are not on the same headphone level as either of the beyers

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #54 of 151
Lul, HERE YOU GO D2000 FAN BOYS:

"D2000: These headphones look fantastic, feel fantastic, and sound great. The drivers are close to the ear, which, in my opinion, offers a more intimate listening experience (depending on your preference, you may not want this). The D2000s feel great on the head, and are very low-profile compared to the other two phones (they don’t jut out from your skull as far) and just by looking at/handling them, you realize the superior build-quality and finer materials. On the downside, the Denons are highly sibilant and have a recessed midrange in comparison to the Beyers. One thing to note about these headphones is that they are made out of very high-quality materials and components. I think a lot of their retail cost goes to the “design” aspect of the headphones. The Beyers, on the other hand, give me the opposite sentiment—that being most of the retail cost is represented by the drivers and electrical components.
Pros: Comfort, aesthetics, construction, soundstage
Cons: Higher price, recessed midrange, sibilance.

DT 770: One word, all-round. Okay, maybe that was two words, but I really believe that the DT 770s perform well across the board. If you are like me, and listen to a crazy spectrum of music genres, these are the phones for you. The bass extension and mid representation are phenomenal, and the large distance between the drivers and the ears makes for a lifelike listening experience (It reminds me most of listening to loudspeakers in a rectangular room). The Beyers will strike you as hideously unattractive if you are into chic designs, or…..Bose. I personally like them because they look like (and actually are when customized with a microphone) an aviation headset—militaristic quality, kind of. I also like the velour material on the ear pads. It doesn’t feel as hot and heavy as the leather on the Denons. Much better for a warm/humid climate or summer listening. My one qualm with the Beyers is the crappy adjustment of the headband. It is finicky and doesnt adjust smoothly. Beyer owners will know what I mean by that. 
Pros: Bass Extension, Bass Impact, Midrange warmth, Performance/Cost, distance between drivers and ears
Cons: Not good for travel (impedence and bulk), aesthetics(?), annoying to adjust headband"

145$ vs "350$" (that's what reviewer said)

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #55 of 151

Quote:

but its really more about what you are after.
the 990s have more highs and a little more mids than the 770/80s(just a bit more balanced).
but the bass and sub bass on the 770 pro 80s is a very very noticable step jump up

What do you think of an E10 driving it with Bass boost on? its just 80ohm...should drive them perfectly right?

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #57 of 151
"I was thinking about getting the d2000s when they were on sale for 200ish on amazon. I listen to a friends pair and was not impressed. He thought they sounded great. So then I let him try my srh840s and he preferred them. He was really blown away when I told him they only cost me 139.00 shipped. So now he's a proud new owner of the shure srh840s."

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #58 of 151

Quote:
What do you think of an E10 driving it with Bass boost on? its just 80ohm...should drive them perfectly right?

i would think so.
they don't need gobs of power.
pretty versatile cans.  but just an ipod or something would be cutting it short.

however i will say this, if i was buying just one can it would be the 990 over the 770(can't comment on the denons since i've never heard them but i'd really like a pair
smily_headphones1.gif
).  more detail and balance on the 990s.  however i've never heard the 770 pro 250 ohm. 
the 990/600 out of my woo is pretty magical.
but i've never heard a T1 or HE 500 or LCD2

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #59 of 151
The D2000's are a highly volatile pair of cans.  Head-Fiers either love them or hate them.  You'll never really find any in-betweens.  People have different tastes, that's all.

There's no getting around that they have a smiley curve.  But to consider their midrange recessed next to a pair of DT770-80s.  That's tomfoolery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back