Poll:Aftermarket Qutest psu.

Chord Qutest power supply

• Stock

• Aftermarket

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #196 of 218
I Did, The Allo Shanti sounds amazing, The Elite sounds very good as well (but both influence the sound a little, both are very good, but it is what you are looking for. The Allo Shanti gives a almost holographic stage, clean and musical and the Elite a little warmer.

What to me was a BIG dissapointment, and I say this with a big understatement was the SBooster, to me the bass was pushed in my face and holographic stage was gone (compared to Elite and Allo Shanti). Obviously I have a different taste than average, because a lot of people love the combo sbooster and qutest.

best you can do is order somewhere, where you can sent it back, or a shop where you can test.

Thanks. I don't even have the Qutest anymore, but when I did, I did try both the Shanti & the Elite (both of which I still have). TBH I couldn't tell much of a difference between them, but maybe the Elite was a bit warmer, as you mentioned.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #197 of 218
We still very much enjoy using our CHORD QUTEST - having owned it from new, for several years.

I understand that the fast-moving world of DAC technology has NOT stood still, but best-of-breed can still be very costly. So, I imagine used QUTEST units now represent quite a bargain for the buyers of VFM used gear. Therefore, hopefully this line of inquiry is still of value to many.

We currently run the QUTEST via an iFi ultra-low noise iPower wall-wart PSU. It is connected via a regular USB cable to our source - typically and an Apple iPAD Pro or Apple MacBook Pro.

I was thinking to try a high-wattage Linear Power Supply (LPS), as such an LPS has made great improvements on other (various) 5V - 24V audio components.

However, reading this thread, many seem to believe that the best method of connection - USB V BNC V OPTICAL - makes as much improvement.

Was there any real consensus on how best to connect the QUTEST?

(I'm not asking for cable recommendations - just asking about best input connection method...)

Appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #198 of 218
We still very much enjoy using our CHORD QUTEST - having owned it from new, for several years.

I understand that the fast-moving world of DAC technology has NOT stood still, but best-of-breed can still be very costly. So, I imagine used QUTEST units now represent quite a bargain for the buyers of VFM used gear. Therefore, hopefully this line of inquiry is still of value to many.

We currently run the QUTEST via an iFi ultra-low noise iPower wall-wart PSU. It is connected via a regular USB cable to our source - typically and an Apple iPAD Pro or Apple MacBook Pro.

I was thinking to try a high-wattage Linear Power Supply (LPS), as such an LPS has made great improvements on other (various) 5V - 24V audio components.

However, reading this thread, many seem to believe that the best method of connection - USB V BNC V OPTICAL - makes as much improvement.

Was there any real consensus on how best to connect the QUTEST?

(I'm not asking for cable recommendations - just asking about best input connection method...)

Appreciated.
USB is probably the best way to connect this DAC, even to a computer, because it is galvanically isolated so impervious to electrical noise (of which computers have plenty of), handles even very high-res files, and allows the DAC to be in charge of timing (asynchronous USB).

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #199 of 218
Just to state the obvious, we're also very interested in any comparisons that include our iPower Elite and linear PSUs :wink:
Also, it would be very interesting to see how the iFi iPower X model is performing. In other forums I read that it's very close to LPS performance. I'm using an iPower X on my Qutest and although I cannot say how it compares to LPS, I have compared it to the stock SMPS and it is a clear improvement.

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #200 of 218
I'm not into Propaganda Marketing Power Supplies that do nothing but add Noise and am I not even a Qutest owner.

But I own it's sister product. I vote Pure Super Capacitors. Mine is 3000 Farads, but for Qutest I would build a 3400 Farads.

Super Capacitors >>>>> Batteries >>>>> Car Battery. Anything else, just use stock. Otherwise, noise.

Impedance < 60 mOhms and up to 1000A. The on-demand low and high swings of the Qutest should play well together.

mono.jpg

ultra2.jpg

Real World Use:

h2.png

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #201 of 218
Also, it would be very interesting to see how the iFi iPower X model is performing. In other forums I read that it's very close to LPS performance. I'm using an iPower X on my Qutest and although I cannot say how it compares to LPS, I have compared it to the stock SMPS and it is a clear improvement.
Also have a look at ‘all shanti’ a really good psu, not even much more expensive. Or it’s little brother ‘allo nirvana’ (cheaper than ifi but just as good)

There are a few reviews on the web. I chose the allo shanti over a sbooster.

But ifi is still a good choise too.

Oct 7, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #202 of 218
I'm not into Propaganda Marketing Power Supplies that do nothing but add Noise and am I not even a Qutest owner.

But I own it's sister product. I vote Pure Super Capacitors. Mine is 3000 Farads, but for Qutest I would build a 3400 Farads.

Super Capacitors >>>>> Batteries >>>>> Car Battery. Anything else, just use stock. Otherwise, noise.

Impedance < 60 mOhms and up to 1000A. The on-demand low and high swings of the Qutest should play well together.

mono.jpg

ultra2.jpg

Real World Use:

h2.png

WOW!

Looks impressive... Nice job!

Is this a kit others can purchase and put together?

Or did you fabricate all this yourself?

Oct 7, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #203 of 218
WOW!

Looks impressive... Nice job!

Is this a kit others can purchase and put together?

Or did you fabricate all this yourself?
I think the crazy person did it himself ( I mean that in a extreme positive way)😂👍🏼

Looks as one of the best solutions I think, the power of electricity, and clean line of batteries.

If In could build something like that, that would be my choice too!

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #205 of 218
A question for everyone running the SBooster and the optional SBooster Ultra with the Qutest. Since the SBooster Ultra is an active filter the official website states:

The electronics of the Sbooster Ultra need power to operate. Therefore the BOTW P&P ECO power supply has to be set to a higher DC-output Voltage.

So anyone tried a higher output voltage, like 6V or 6.5V ?

Edit: Just got a reply from SBooster. The Sbooster Ultra MKII is indeed an active filter and the electronics need 1V to operate. This means for your 5V Ultra MKII that you have to set the DC output setting of the BOTW to 6V.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #206 of 218
A question for everyone running the SBooster and the optional SBooster Ultra with the Qutest. Since the SBooster Ultra is an active filter the official website states:

The electronics of the Sbooster Ultra need power to operate. Therefore the BOTW P&P ECO power supply has to be set to a higher DC-output Voltage.

So anyone tried a higher output voltage, like 6V or 6.5V ?

Edit: Just got a reply from SBooster. The Sbooster Ultra MKII is indeed an active filter and the electronics need 1V to operate. This means for your 5V Ultra MKII that you have to set the DC output setting of the BOTW to 6V.
When i had the SBooster with the Ultra Mk ll i ran it at 6 volts for my Qutest Dac. However a few things need to be addressed to make the SBooster sing:
1. Power cable at least 12 guage.
2. Internal fuse inside the SBooster should be changed to either an Synergistic Orange or better still a QSA Light Blue that is cheaper but really opens the SBooster in all directions.
3.if you use a UK plug for power then the plug fuse has a big impact, again QSA Light Blue but not Yellow.
4. the SBOOSTER is microphonic so needs to be sited with care and not on the floor. Preferably on a sub platform and with isolation.
if you address all these requirements the SBooster will really sing with the Qutest And is the best IMHO at that price.
i sold the SBooster a few months ago and now have a Plixir Elite for the Qutest. Definitely a big upgrade from the SBooster but at a price, nearly double with an upgraded DC cable from Farad (special order) Not to mention a better power cable.But Plixir has certain issues also, but that’s another story.
cheers.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #207 of 218
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #208 of 218
i sold the SBooster a few months ago and now have a Plixir Elite for the Qutest. Definitely a big upgrade from the SBooster but at a price, nearly double with an upgraded DC cable from Farad (special order) Not to mention a better power cable.But Plixir has certain issues also, but that’s another story.
The absolute best sound I got from my Qutest was when I powered it with a 5V Sean Jacobs DC4 power supply. He had not designed the later ARC6 version at that point so I could not try that before I sold my Qutest.

The cost of the DC4 was ridiculous compared to the cost of the Qutest but so was the improvement to the Qutest sound quality. My comparisons were an SBooster with Ultra Mk2 and a Farad Super3 which are both very fine power supplies but completely outclassed by the sound with the SJ DC4.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #209 of 218
The absolute best sound I got from my Qutest was when I powered it with a 5V Sean Jacobs DC4 power supply. He had not designed the later ARC6 version at that point so I could not try that before I sold my Qutest.

The cost of the DC4 was ridiculous compared to the cost of the Qutest but so was the improvement to the Qutest sound quality. My comparisons were an SBooster with Ultra Mk2 and a Farad Super3 which are both very fine power supplies but completely outclassed by the sound with the SJ DC4.
I am sure it must have been probably the best one can get out of a Qutest - but at more than 4 times the cost of a basic Qutest, at which point there are many competing options not to mention getting close to a Dave.
The challenge is to make a very good dac an outstanding dac within limits of what makes sense without getting into ‘ridiculous’ combinations, although I accept spending £5k on a power supply for a £1200 dac maybe okay for someone who must have that particular performance.
The incremental performance gain from adding a good ground box to the dac bnc cable is nearly as good as going from the stock smps to a good LPS like the SBooster or a Plixir or Farad, at least that is what i have experienced. If adding a ground box doesn’t bring about a very substantial jump in performance then either the ground box is not constructed properly or incorrectly sited or connected.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #210 of 218
I am sure it must have been probably the best one can get out of a Qutest - but at more than 4 times the cost of a basic Qutest, at which point there are many competing options not to mention getting close to a Dave.
The challenge is to make a very good dac an outstanding dac within limits of what makes sense without getting into ‘ridiculous’ combinations, although I accept spending £5k on a power supply for a £1200 dac maybe okay for someone who must have that particular performance.
The incremental performance gain from adding a good ground box to the dac bnc cable is nearly as good as going from the stock smps to a good LPS like the SBooster or a Plixir or Farad, at least that is what i have experienced. If adding a ground box doesn’t bring about a very substantial jump in performance then either the ground box is not constructed properly or incorrectly sited or connected.
When it cost so much more, a dac upgrade is a way way better option.

That’s why upgraded to the tt2+mscaler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back