Poll:Aftermarket Qutest psu.

Chord Qutest power supply

• Stock

• Aftermarket

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 18, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #166 of 218
Just found this thread, I'm based in the UK and wondered what would be the best upgrade until I can afford while I wait and save fro the new M Scaler or even a secondhand with BNC interconnects.
I did notice MRCU do a few models of PSU for the Qutest in fact they sell two of the more expensive models both on e-bay and one on their website which looks the same but costs £100 more than the e-bay one.
Is this the best plug and play upgrade?

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #167 of 218
Just found this thread, I'm based in the UK and wondered what would be the best upgrade until I can afford while I wait and save fro the new M Scaler or even a secondhand with BNC interconnects.
I did notice MRCU do a few models of PSU for the Qutest in fact they sell two of the more expensive models both on e-bay and one on their website which looks the same but costs £100 more than the e-bay one.
Is this the best plug and play upgrade?
There are several LPS that could fit the bill for you. I owned and liked the sound of the Qutest with the SBooster and the Farad Super3 but there are others. I would suggest keeping an eye open for a second hand LPS and let that play a part in deciding which one to get.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #168 of 218
There are several LPS that could fit the bill for you. I owned and liked the sound of the Qutest with the SBooster and the Farad Super3 but there are others. I would suggest keeping an eye open for a second hand LPS and let that play a part in deciding which one to get.
Thanks, I'll have a look around, it seems the price difference of the more expensive MCRU units is the mains cable, although to add confusion the cheaper e-bay offering seems to have a more expensive mains lead. Very confusing.
Also would the cheaper of the two units they offer which I think was in your test do the job okay?

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #169 of 218
Thought I would just add my comments to this thread. In the end I ordered the more expensive £550 MCRU LPS from e-bay. First of all the Qutest runs much cooler, before the LPS when you touched the top near the glass cover it was warm to quite hot after a lengthy listening session.
I am convinced that the soundstage is bigger and I've noticed some little odd sounds in the recording like very subtle quiet bits of guitar.
I had a mindset that I would probably return the unit if I had the slightest reservation but I can honestly say I have no reservations at all.
My system sounds so good now. I've recently added an Auralic Aries G1 to my system to replace the iPad for Amazon HD and I'm very happy.
To muddy the waters even more in the last few weeks I've replaced the valves in my Pathos Inpol ear with some Russian Reflector valves and of course the new Utopia's have probably done their burn in too.

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #170 of 218
I found that adding the SBooster to my Qutest took it to another level. Secondly, connecting via DDC through the optical connection far superior in my system, compared to USB. I wouldn't dream of going back to USB, and the standard power supply. To me, the difference - with these two essential factors in place - is night and day.

May 3, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #172 of 218
Interesting, Alvin. They aren't a million miles from me, so may try to get hold of a demo unit.

May 3, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #173 of 218
Interesting, Alvin. They aren't a million miles from me, so may try to get hold of a demo unit.
Temple have always made good quality audio gear at reasonable prices. I baulked at paying £500 for a psu so very happy with the Supercharger. Hard to give you an idea of how it actually sound really, but when I occasionally use the D100 as a cd player it sounds as good as the rips to me.

May 4, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #174 of 218
Sounds good. I've been in contact with John at Temple so I'll be getting a supercharger to try soon :relaxed:

May 12, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #177 of 218
Has anyone compared the iFi iPower Elite against the Sbooster BOTW (with or without Ultra upgrade)? Thx.

I think that I saw something brief about that, but can't recall where it was. Wouldn't hurt asking in the Pro iDSD thread as folks tend to swap PSUs for that product a lot.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #178 of 218
Hey guys it's been a while. Currently using my same DC cable recommended here a few years ago - Canre 4S6G from Ghent Audio with added JSSG360 shielding (thick black cable). This is Canare 4S6G OFC copper Star Quad, OD 6.4mm, 4 conductors x 20AWG with JSSG360 two layer copper shielding. I'm currently using it for the receiving side of my new USB optical cable which powers the optical to USB conversion section and I'm finding with this component the quality of DC power cable also makes as big of a difference as does DC power to a DAC. It's the cable shown in this post for reference.

As outlined in the post above, to me the blue Gotham cable had better detail and bass than a generic stock cable, but fatiguing highs which was a no-go for me.

Another user reported the Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 18AWG DC cable to sound slow & dull due to too high of inductance from thick metals.

I am still highly satisfied with my Canre 4S6G from Ghent Audio with added JSSG360 shielding, and would have to stretch to imagine anything that could be improved. Definitely getting a full spectrum sound, chameleon PRaT and tone (depending on the recording), detailed but not clinical, can be weighty depending on recording, and not over/under done in any way.

Then recently I was speaking with two people on another thread, @rsbrsvp and @801evan who I think are both using the same DC cable and are swearing by it as the best: 17 (or 18?) AWG Neotech silver OCC cable. Is this shielded, or what type does it use? Mind to share a link or a diagram photo of the internal design?

Something in common with both the Gotham and thick black JSSG360 cable is that they have a quad wire design which I think improves DC signal somehow.

What about other users here, especially @HumanMedia - what is your current best DC cable? I recall you mentioning something about a silver cable that Canadian users were swearing by. Maybe it was the above Neotech.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #179 of 218
Hey guys it's been a while. Currently using my same DC cable recommended here a few years ago - Canre 4S6G from Ghent Audio with added JSSG360 shielding (thick black cable). This is Canare 4S6G OFC copper Star Quad, OD 6.4mm, 4 conductors x 20AWG with JSSG360 two layer copper shielding. I'm currently using it for the receiving side of my new USB optical cable which powers the optical to USB conversion section and I'm finding with this component the quality of DC power also cable makes as big of a difference as does DC power to a DAC. It's the cable shown in this post for reference.

As outlined in the post above, to me the blue Gotham cable had better detail and bass than a generic stock cable, but fatiguing highs which was a no-go for me.

Another user reported the Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 18AWG DC cable to sound slow & dull due to too high of inductance from thick metals.

I am still highly satisfied with my Canre 4S6G from Ghent Audio with added JSSG360 shielding, and would have to stretch to imagine anything that could be improved. Definitely getting a full spectrum sound, chameleon PRaT and tone (depending on the recording), detailed but not clinical, can be weighty depending on recording, and not over/under done in any way.

Then recently I was speaking with two people on another thread, @rsbrsvp and @801evan who I think are both using the same DC cable and are swearing by it as the best: 17 (or 18?) AWG Neotech silver OCC cable. Is this shielded, or what type does it use? Mind to share a link or a diagram photo of the internal design?

Something in common with both the Gotham and thick black JSSG360 cable is that they have a quad wire design which I think improves DC signal somehow.

What about other users here, especially @HumanMedia - what is your current best DC cable? I recall you mentioning something about a silver cable that Canadian users were swearing by. Maybe it was the above Neotech.
Ey. Mine's a custom build 5 core 20awg solid occ silver.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #180 of 218
Ey. Mine's a custom build 5 core 20awg solid occ silver.
Can you share the details of this custom cable (price, source, internal design photos, etc.)?
And can you recommend any good 5v DC LPS?

I'm thinking of getting the iFi iDefender and a DC LPS for the sending side (PC side) of my USB optical cable. My thinking is that even though the USB cable transmits only the digital signal via optical with clean DC power regenerated on the receiving side, maybe clean DC power on the sending side would give an even better optical conversion from the PC. Or let me know if this is unwarranted?
Even if it doesn't help I can still find another use for it.

I already have a very good custom 5v DC LPS, but alas both ports are already in use on the receiving side and it's too far away from the sending side of the USB optical cable, so I'm considering an additional DC LPS and cable. Something I do not want is sBooster with their lackluster design and thin chord.

Or anyone else feel free to chime in - @rsbrsvp or @HumanMedia maybe you also can share which DC cable and LPS you found the best?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back