Polk UltraFocus 8000 headphones
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

scottzehm

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experience with the new Polk UltraFocus 8000 headphones?  I listened to them at this years CES and they sounded great.  However, being the inexperienced listener that I am I would like some input from other more experienced listeners at to the quality of these headphones.  I have checked in to re-cabling them after getting a pair, but I have been informed that they are not easily re-cabled and that the factory cable is more than adequate for the job.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 24
Just been spending some more time with these ... and ... wow.

They don't cancel noise very well, but they sound great.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
I am really impressed with the PSB M4U2 and wondering how the Polk compare, particularly with detail in the mids and low to mid bass.

Good question. I was reading a norwegian review of the PSB and they caught my attention (sonically talking) i was not attracted to their look however. 
http://www.lydogbilde.no/test/psb-m4u2

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Good question. I was reading a norwegian review of the PSB and they caught my attention (sonically talking) i was not attracted to their look however. 
http://www.lydogbilde.no/test/psb-m4u2

It looks like a thorough detailed review.....if I only knew Norwegian (not sure what the language is).  The look works well for an old guy like me.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
It looks like a thorough detailed review.....if I only knew Norwegian (not sure what the language is).  The look works well for an old guy like me.

Try google translate friend 
wink.gif

it is norwegian

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 24
I got the 8000 in today.  They're not broken in so I'll reserve final judgment and hold my full comparison until then.  I will share a could quick first impressions though.  My screen name would appear indicate a slight bias towards Polk products 
bigsmile_face.gif
, but I've actually mostly moved on from Polk during the past few years (my main two rigs now are PSB and Totem based) and I feel like I can provide a fair, objective review.

They sound superb, absolutely freaking fantastic!  I really don't understand how these are not a bigger deal, as in I've not really heard anything about them.  They're VERY good.  Tyll is dead on with his review of these.  They do a good enough job for me at noise canceling, but I'll admit my frame of reference there is virtually non-existent.  They're not in the same league as the Bose QC, but the sound on these is MUCH better IMO.

Like I said, I need more time with them and to allow some burn-in before I'm comfortable passing final judgement.  I also need to run them through the gambit of my typical music tests.  I'll report back in this thread with a full review in the next couple days.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 24
[size=10pt]I appreciate your review! because I have had these now for 2 weeks and can't agree with you more.  I just don't understand how these are not just flying off the shelf.  I have T5Ps, some potable sens at home, Shure 500's Westone ER4ps, and travel weekly.  I owned Bose, and compared these to Bose at my daughters, and the sound is AMAZING.  I compared them to all I own, including in a store the new Parrot Zik (I also had for a week,), PSB 's, and the MU 40, the new Senns and Beats.  In most respects, the Bass is better more popping but not overbearing, the mids and highs are clear, great soundstage, detail and expressive decay; i enjoy them as much as any I have owned. The vocals, mid and highs are not recessed, but very forward and pleasing.  They sound like I am in a club or demo room.. Over time of listening I actually turn down the volume.   I really think Polk is doing something with the drivers, when NC is on, the only way they can be used; as in some sort of balancing.  In comparison to Parrot which I thought was all DSP, and thin at best, I think these are true audio cans; and very comfortable and secure!  Great build and case too boot![/size]

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 24
I heard a demo pair of these yesterday at my local Fry's, and I have to say I was rather impressed with them.  I found them to have really excellent instrument separation, and was not surprised at all that the demo recording was calling attention to it.  For me it was the most impressive attribute of these phones.   Strangely enough however, these headphones did not have too wide a soundstage at all.  Perhaps that's an effect of the fact that these are closed, but I've never heard another pair of phones (that I can recall just now) that have such admirable instrument separation but a very compressed "in-your-head" soundstage. 

Moving along, I found that no part of the spectrum seemed colored to me at first listen, and the isolation was just adequate.  In a busy electronics store, I wasn't able to hear much beyond the music.  On an airplane, the degree of isolation might have been a problem.  

All in all I think with closer inspection by other Head-fi'ers, we may have yet another contender at this price point.  Definitely worthy of consideration, depending on one's personal preferences. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 24
I listened to a pair at my local Fry's store as well and must say...well done Polk! I actually liked these better than my Focal's...but the Focal's aren't broken in yet so we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back