Polk LSI9
Jul 18, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #16 of 34
If you're looking at LSi9s, I'd suggest also auditioning a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors or Studio 20s (20s are more $$$, but can be found reletively easily used). Another one to consider would be the Axiom bookshelf (I forget the model number).

I auditioned all three, and ended up with the paradigms. But the Polks were very close, and everyone has their own preferences for sound, each room sounds different, and every setup introduces it's own sonic signature.

I'd strongly suggest side-by-side comparisons, in you home, if at all possible.

good listening,
Andrew

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 34
Hmm now that I think about it, I really need to upgrade my source as well, would it be okay for me to run the LSi9s or the Studio 20s out of a cheap NAD like a C352 temporarily, or should I just wait on the source upgrade (Krell KAV-300CD or CD-DSP or similar)?

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Hmm now that I think about it, I really need to upgrade my source as well, would it be okay for me to run the LSi9s or the Studio 20s out of a cheap NAD like a C352 temporarily, or should I just wait on the source upgrade (Krell KAV-300CD or CD-DSP or similar)?

Through my LSi's, I can barely tell the difference between my 50 dollar Toshiba DVD player and my Rotel RCD-991AE....and the Rotel retailed for over a grand.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
Through my LSi's, I can barely tell the difference between my 50 dollar Toshiba DVD player and my Rotel RCD-991AE....and the Rotel retailed for over a grand.

that only tells me that polks is not that good. probably overly warm or have serious lack of detail.

oh well I considered LS9i but went with VR1 instead.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
that only tells me that polks is not that good. probably overly warm or have serious lack of detail.

oh well I considered LS9i but went with VR1 instead.

possibly...but the difference is barely noticable through the Paradigm Studio's I used to have, my Sennheisers and Grado's, too. The Toshiba doesn't have as black a background and doesn't sound AS at ease, but I would never say the difference is worth a grand.

Jul 22, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 34
Okay I'm almost set-on the Polk Lsi9s now, for the price, they have the sound and definitely the looks. Most of you say they can be found for $500 though, the cheapest I've found them used is $700, does this seem about right?

I've also been looking into that 600wpc Sunfire and it seems to have a bit a bit of a mellow sound tonality, I'm not sure if this'll be a good match for the LSi9s since these are already leaning towards the warm side right? There also seem to be 2 variants of the Sunfire Load Invariant Stereo Power Amplifier, one of them has only 500wpc into 4 ohms but has an IEC removable PC and a different arrangment on the back for the inputs and outputs, the other has 600 wpc but no removable PC and I can't find any info on it from Sunfire.

600WPC version

http://www.sunfire.com/pdf/Symphonic%20Amp%20Owners%20Manual.pdf#search='Sunf ire%20Load%20Invariant%20Stereo%20Power%20Amplifie r'

500WPC Version

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #23 of 34
$700 sounds about right... that's what I sold mine for after 1 year of use. AcousticSoundDesign on ebay is the guy to buy from if you want it in tip/top brand new condition.

One thing you have to know about the LSi series (the 9s included) is that there are TWO versions of them:

Old version - not so great looking piano black sticky-on veneer and cheapo panels on the side.

New version - really really nice piano black non-veneer finish and excellent panels on side.

You really want to get the new versions if possible. Acoustic Sound Design sells the new ones.

Jul 22, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
There also seem to be 2 variants of the Sunfire Load Invariant Stereo Power Amplifier, one of them has only 500wpc into 4 ohms but has an IEC removable PC and a different arrangment on the back for the inputs and outputs, the other has 600 wpc but no removable PC and I can't find any info on it from Sunfire.

ONLY 500 watts?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

ONLY 500 watts?!
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Lol, that came out wrong. 500 wpc is way more than I need but it seems there are two versions out there, I can't seem to find any specs from Sunfire on the one most people are selling on Audiogon and eBay.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #26 of 34
My Aragon 2004 mk2 @ 100wpc drives mine just fine. They are power hungry, that's for sure. You'll need decent stands as they are heavy and very deep for bookshelves. Forget the sub. I tried it and the blend is just not there. It sucked, period.

I don't think the older "look" has any sonic deficit compared to the newer version. It's the same crossover design and components with MDF enclosure.

I would go for a drier-sounding SS amp but it also depends on your source if you are very finicky about the sound. My source is smoooooth so it mates well with the drier-sounding Aragon. Save your money on that Sunfire. An Arcam Alpha 10 integrated would drive them just fine. In fact, it would drive the hell out of them.

Look into a decent preamp if you want to go separates. A cheap tube pre would do okay but I am getting along just fine with a Luminous Audio Axiom. For $167 new you can't beat it. Drawback is you can only use it with one source. A used Gilmore V2 would mate well with it or something like that. Gilmore=bright Polk=warm. Perfect match. Of course, you'll get upgraditis and will want to change things around anyway, right? That's where I am now. Still, save on the Sunfire and either get a phatty integrated or used separates and you'll be more than pleased.

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #27 of 34
Stryker, have you tried any other amps through your LSi's? I'm running a little NAD integrated to my LSi15's right now and will be looking at high current amps towards the end of this year.

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 34
The only one I've used is an Arcam Alpha 9 which was okay but I felt the pre section was lacking. I switched it into amp only mode and used my Axiom pre and it performed admirably.

The 15s have that woofer that the 9s do not so I would imagine that thing can drop to 2 ohms and need some serious current to drive them with authority. I wish I had a pair of 15s as I hear they are high end on the cheap.

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #29 of 34
they sound good after you really crank up the volume on the NAD integrated. I've yet to hear them with a big (appropriate) amp.

I'm hoping a bigger amp will change that....and maybe make them image a little better.

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

they sound good after you really crank up the volume on the NAD integrated. I've yet to hear them with a big (appropriate) amp.

I'm hoping a bigger amp will change that....and maybe make them image a little better.

Oh yeah.. an amp upgrade improves image focus dramatically! With all speakers it does... power is crucial.

Going from HK330 receiver to the Rotel 1070 showed a large upgrade in the focus and tightness of the vocals coming out of the 9s. Then, just a few days ago, the upgrade from the 1070 to the top of the line 1090 just tightened up the image focus on my ML Summits to the same degree!

Amp amp amp.... more amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back