Poised To Purchase My First Digital Camera -- Any Help Is Much Appreciated!
Sep 6, 2005 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase my first digital camera sometime this week. Essentially, I'm looking to stay below the $400 level and purchase a compact camera with outstanding visual quality, features I can grow with, good zoom, and rock-solid reliability.

From my research, the Casio EX-Z750 seems to be the camera that fits the bill.

However, I've been reading a lot about "lens errors" with this particular model. Does anyone here know anything about that?

EDIT: Of course, if there are any other cameras out there that present themselves as a better choice than the Casio EX-Z750, please do suggest them! My budget is approximately $300-$400.

Thank you!

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 14
The Canon Powershot G6 is a great camera. My friend has one and it never ceases to amaze me with the shots it takes.
icon10.gif
Its on the same page as sleepykng has posted above for about $420.

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Got myself a Canon Powershot A510 a few days ago for about $199. Been really happy with it so far and I guess that if you wanna spend more money than that, you won't go wrong with one of the more expensive Canon Powershots.

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 14
This is Head-Fi, may I remind you...

That means just buy one of everything. Then live with them all for 3 weeks, choose 3 to stay, and eBay the rest. Waffle on the 3, buy back one of the ones you sold off because you really miss it, then sell all 4 just to start all over again. Next time buy the $4000 pro model, $6000 worth of accessories - and the cable-equivalent purchase with a $200 Gucci leather neck strap - and then decide that the first one you bought you want for a second camera anyway...and buy 2 of those, just in case the first one's batteries go dead.

Hire a caddy to carry it all, then buy a new car because your trunk in the old one was just too small for all the goodies.

...of course, in 2 years your house will be too small as well...

...so you'll sell all the camera stuff to help with the new house down payment.

Wait 6 months...buy newest-model hot-stuff camera.

...go back to Page 1.

--------------------------------------------------

Anyway, the lens error stuff happens to Nikons, Canons and pretty much every collapsable lens camera. When dirt or anything prevents the lens from moving that's what the camera calls the 'lens error'. Hate to say it but more likely than not it will happen sometime - it is the major cause of death to almost all moveable lens cameras.
rolleyes.gif
Can't do anything about it, I guess.

According to DPReview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz750/page9.asp

Dell has it for $365

Sep 7, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 14
Sep 7, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 14
DPReview is the headfi for digicams-

Look at fuji E550 and Fuji F10 - both small and quite good in the range you are looking at.

good luck with whichever you choose.

Sep 7, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 14
Yes, dpreview is a good place for info. If you're looking for something small with excellent image quality, then I'd go with Canon SD300 or SD400. They don't come much smaller than this with superb imaging.

Sep 7, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 14
I have been looking at a cheap digicam to be a backup or pocket camera alternative to my 35mm and medium format kits and it looks like the Fuji F10 is a very good buy. It is 6.3 mp without interpolation and it has by far the best high ISO performance of any point and shoot digital camera. It also has a big LCD. It outperforms everything in its price point, even cameras with higher megapixel ratings. It is now 289 bucks with a rebate at B&H, so it is cheap too. The only real complaints I have seen have been lack of manual controls and a bit of an obtuse menu system. Anyway, that's just my take on it.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse
I'd have one if only it had a viewfinder - it is lcd only, which is the only thing (or major thing) wrong with it IMO.

I agree this is an annoying aspect, but those tiny digital point and shoots have viewfinders that are so tiny anyway, that you are actually more accurate in framing with the LCD. Or at least I have problems...I am used to older film rangefinder cameras which have massive viewfinders, so I cannot get used to the squinty little ones. I would just as soon use the 2.5" LCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back