Poet-Fi
Nov 29, 2008 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mark_h

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone here love poetry?

My favourite poet has to be Delmore Schwartz, I believe he is my favourite because he wrote my favourite poem and I have tried to read and collect everything he has written, I have not come close with other poets.

Discovered his work through a Velvet Underground documentary in which Lou reed sites him as a mentor and influence.

Lyrics are often poetry.

Any more favourite poems/poets?

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Well share this poem
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 8
My favorite poets aren't musicians, but there are a lot of musicians who write very eloquent and moving stuff.

Among my favorites are:
Auden
Poe
Frost

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Not as much into poetry as I am into literature, but I make a point of reading a little Wallace Stevens regularly. His work only seems impenetrable until you've read it a few times.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 8
My favorite poet is Emily Dickinson.

I actually used to write quite a bit of poems myself, but I haven't really wrote anything in many years.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 8
Milton is clearly the king-- those who ignore him simply don't realize how fun he is.

Blake is my personal favorite, though. He's challenging, but well worth the effort. The more you know, the more intricate and challenging his poetry is. The bonus for me is the interplay between the visual and verbal components of his art.

I'm also a fan of Yeats, even the weirdo stuff. It's striking how someone in their twenties can write such incredible poetry about growing old.

Oh dear, I've left out the modern stuff. Okay, I'll also admit a fondness for William Carlos Williams. Patterson is a masterpiece.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I am a poet and I didn't know it
My feet are longfellows and they smell like the dickens.

Yah, I like poetry. Favourite poets include: Earl Birney, Robert Service, Leonard Cohen, Rilke, Brecht, Dr. Seuss, and many others.

"Roses are red, violets are blue
I am schizophrenic and so am I"
--Oscar Levant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back