pmb floats!
Apr 16, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #16 of 21
NICE. I would love to get my hands on these. Man cannot live with only two floats and a bunch of stax, you know.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 21
For the heck of it, I'll translate the brochure I posted above:

"Dynamic Earspeaker, fully open, ergonomic fit.

This 2-way headphone is built with 4 high-quality transducers. That means there are two systems on either side, in which one covers the high range and the other responsible for the low end. These systems are built to produce a linear response at the ears. Through the completely new structural principle of the MB earspeakers, the systems float practically free over the ears. The earpads gently enclose only the back portion of the ear. This produces a musical experience similar to listening to loudspeakers. PMB 85 - open, transparent, and uncolored sound."

The review from Stereo Magazine reads:

"The PMB 85 is a good candidate for a design prize. It not only formally reinvents the principle of the earspeaker, but also introduces functional improvement with its integrated headband adjuster.

A headphone with a smooth, unobtrusive sound signature."

and the categories of the rating are sound (Klang), measurements (Messwerte), build quality (Verarbeitung), and comfort (Tragekomfort). They rated it high mid-end, though it looks like if the measured response was a little better, it would have squeaked into lower top-end. What's interesting is that it was evidently a comparison test, but unless somebody knows where to find a December 1985 copy of Stereo magazine, we'll never know what else was in the test or how it stacked up.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 21
after a day of foam experimentation, i decided to remove the foam from in front of the driver until i can find something thinner. i also noticed that without the foam behind the grills, the sound became muddy and generally messed up.

after a lot of a to b listening toghether with the floats, i would have to say that they sound very similar. the pmb doesnt have the same level of detail and sharpness as the floats but has a much wider soundstage, and slightly deeper bass.
compared to the floats they sound very distant, like being in a concert hall instead of a studio.

actually i like them so much, they have replaced my DT770pros as "portable" phones
sammenligning.jpg

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after a day of foam experimentation, i decided to remove the foam from in front of the driver until i can find something thinner. i also noticed that without the foam behind the grills, the sound became muddy and generally messed up.

after a lot of a to b listening toghether with the floats, i would have to say that they sound very similar. the pmb doesnt have the same level of detail and sharpness as the floats but has a much wider soundstage, and slightly deeper bass.
compared to the floats they sound very distant, like being in a concert hall instead of a studio.

actually i like them so much, they have replaced my DT770pros as "portable" phones

You must use your portable set up in a quiet environment. I'm usually using mine in environments where I want as much isolation as I can get.

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, the double-action sounds completely unlike the QP85, which is far more detailed than the floats but lacks their bass and lush midrange. Sounstage sounds similar, love the MB Jecklin frame for that, everyone (but Wualta) seems to agree on that mark.

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #21 of 21
Man I dlove to get a hold of those. I got a model 2 but I m not so impressed. Wierdly I think they sound a little bit "inside the head". Offcourse I m comparing them with the K 1000s, which I maybee should not do. If there is that much difference between them I need to try them. Seems rare though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back