Plussound Allegro - Official Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #31 of 40
I've passed the Allegro on now. Below are my impressions. Thanks to PlusSound for this opportunity and, as always, to the legend @Damz87 for organising.

Build/Aesthetics: These look and feel excellent. I prefer this more understated aesthetic. Not a massive fan of the faceted design personally. I was disappointed by the cable jack though, it is quite loose and feels like it should have been better designed.

Cables: Speaking purely from an ergonomics standpoint, I am not a fan of these cables. They are quite thick and stiff. If you’re only planning to use these while stationary they are fine and I assume that the their built this way to maximise sound quality, but if you were wanting to use these while moving about I’d reckon you need lighter, more flexible cable option.

I didn’t have the time to assess multiple cables, so I just used the stock copper only cable.

Comfort: These are big IEMs. That made the fit slightly trickier than some other IEMs. But with a little tip rolling I had no problems getting a good fit and found them comfortable enough for my normal listening sessions of an hour or two. They're not the most comfortable, but comfort wouldn't stop me buying them.

SOUND QUALITY

First some background… my daily is the Campfire Ara. I love them. For me (out of my sources) they are the perfect balance between clear/detailed and smooth/laid back. So that’s where I’m coming to the Allegro from. I listened out of a Mojo 2. The Allegro is very different to the Ara and took me some time to adjust to and dial in. I ended up using narrow bore final type-E tips and some EQ from the Mojo.

The overall tonal balance is neutral, maybe a touch cool but with treble emphasis.

BASS: I found the Allegro’s bass to be excellent. Nice and full, but not too much. Fast, detailed and tactile. They have more bass than the Ara but less than something like the Xenon 6.

MIDS: Excellent mids too. Neutral, clear and super-detailed. Excellent balance and clarity.

TREBLE: This is where things went south for me. The treble is emphasized and I found it too hot and sibilance-prone. I also felt the treble did not mix with the rest of the FR well. I suspect there is an issue with the cross-over or maybe the EST implementation that left me feeling they lack coherence. They extend well and there's lot's of detail.

TECHNICALITIES: From a technical standpoint, these are superb. Flagship level detail retrieval and imaging. Beautiful clarity and separation through the mids and bass, I loved the textural and micro detailing. Flagship level soundstage and imaging.

CONCLUSION
For my taste, these need work. For future iterations they need to work on EST implementation to better control and integrate the treble. It’s shame really because apart from that, they are superb. The bass and mids were almost perfect for my tastes and they deliver the level of technical performance you’d expect at this price-point. I should say that with a bit of Mojo EQ, careful tip selection and some good old brain burn-in, I did enjoy listening to them. So if you like a brighter, crisper treble, they could work for you.

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #32 of 40
I've passed the Allegro on now. Below are my impressions. Thanks to PlusSound for this opportunity and, as always, to the legend @Damz87 for organising.

Build/Aesthetics: These look and feel excellent. I prefer this more understated aesthetic. Not a massive fan of the faceted design personally. I was disappointed by the cable jack though, it is quite loose and feels like it should have been better designed.

Cables: Speaking purely from an ergonomics standpoint, I am not a fan of these cables. They are quite thick and stiff. If you’re only planning to use these while stationary they are fine and I assume that the their built this way to maximise sound quality, but if you were wanting to use these while moving about I’d reckon you need lighter, more flexible cable option.

I didn’t have the time to assess multiple cables, so I just used the stock copper only cable.

Comfort: These are big IEMs. That made the fit slightly trickier than some other IEMs. But with a little tip rolling I had no problems getting a good fit and found them comfortable enough for my normal listening sessions of an hour or two. They're not the most comfortable, but comfort wouldn't stop me buying them.

SOUND QUALITY

First some background… my daily is the Campfire Ara. I love them. For me (out of my sources) they are the perfect balance between clear/detailed and smooth/laid back. So that’s where I’m coming to the Allegro from. I listened out of a Mojo 2. The Allegro is very different to the Ara and took me some time to adjust to and dial in. I ended up using narrow bore final type-E tips and some EQ from the Mojo.

The overall tonal balance is neutral, maybe a touch cool but with treble emphasis.

BASS: I found the Allegro’s bass to be excellent. Nice and full, but not too much. Fast, detailed and tactile. They have more bass than the Ara but less than something like the Xenon 6.

MIDS: Excellent mids too. Neutral, clear and super-detailed. Excellent balance and clarity.

TREBLE: This is where things went south for me. The treble is emphasized and I found it too hot and sibilance-prone. I also felt the treble did not mix with the rest of the FR well. I suspect there is an issue with the cross-over or maybe the EST implementation that left me feeling they lack coherence. They extend well and there's lot's of detail.

TECHNICALITIES: From a technical standpoint, these are superb. Flagship level detail retrieval and imaging. Beautiful clarity and separation through the mids and bass, I loved the textural and micro detailing. Flagship level soundstage and imaging.

CONCLUSION
For my taste, these need work. For future iterations they need to work on EST implementation to better control and integrate the treble. It’s shame really because apart from that, they are superb. The bass and mids were almost perfect for my tastes and they deliver the level of technical performance you’d expect at this price-point. I should say that with a bit of Mojo EQ, careful tip selection and some good old brain burn-in, I did enjoy listening to them. So if you like a brighter, crisper treble, they could work for you.

Thanks, Rich! We're keeping the EST implementation and treble feedback especially in mind for the next one :)

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #33 of 40
I had the pleasure recently to spend a week with the PlusSound Allegro as part of the Aussie leg of a tour, many thanks to @Sebastien Chiu for the kit and as ever to @Damz87 for organising the tour! Once again it was great to spend time with a TOTL IEM like the Allegro, although one week was maybe not quite enough to get to know it fully. Happy to share my thoughts below regardless.

Packaging
Allegro arrived in a top quality leather case that allows you to ‘display’ the IEM, not that I would necessarily do that, but there’s plenty of room in the case for accessories. I do wonder if the way the cable must be angled around the case’s display holders might contribute to some of the issues I discovered later with the cables?
There were lots and lots of tips included, Comply foams and another OEM’s silicon. And you get PlusSound’s Copper+ cable as stock with the Allegro, which itself is a $1k cable. In addition PlusSound included several of their other cables as part of the tour, so it was great to have the chance to audition some of those as well.

IEM ergo/aesthetic
The Allegro are a rather large and odd-shaped shell, which is probably necessary to fit the 12 drivers PlusSound have used including 2x dynamic drivers for bass, 6 balanced armatures for midrange, and another 4x EST for treble.
Allegro1.jpg

Allegro2.jpg

Because of this unusual size and shape, I had to spend quite a bit of time fitting them properly each time I used them, as they are rather finicky to get just right. Once seated, they stuck out more than any other IEM I’ve used, but seemed to stay in place alright, although I didn’t get out and around much with them to test out how they would fare on the go. Overall this fit is only “ok” for me, and while maybe not a total deal-breaker, I know there are many other universals around this level of the market that fit me much better.

The Cables
Please take some of my comments about the cables PlusSound included with the tour kit with a grain of salt, as it seems this kit is well traveled by now and the cables have been subject to quite a lot of handling.
All 3 cables are rather stiff and not particularly soft or supple. The braiding above the Y-split on 2 of them has flattened out and become partially un-braided, this could be due to the chin slider being slid up and down over the rather stiff cable. There are no L/R markers, and while I assumed the PS logo would go on the outside, a sound check confirmed this is not the case, and the logo oddly goes on the inside. The 2-pin connectors on each of the 3 cables were very loose, so I was afraid of taking these too far from my desk for fear of the cables falling out and losing an expensive IEM that I don’t own. The cables have no ear-hooks of any kind, which made putting them on and taking them off a bit tricky and with a rather delicate touch, and even then the hooks would not stay behind my ears, which was a problem made worse by the fact the shells sit so far out of my ears.
Apologies for being a bit long-winded here, but this was all a bit of a let-down coming from a company known for its cables, especially as just days after I sent along the Allegro I received a tour kit from Effect Audio of their latest Signature Series cables, which all have far better ergonomics. But I will say again this is a tour kit from PlusSound, so as-new units would certainly be much better.

Regardless of the ergonomic issues, the sound quality of the cables was quite good, and I thought the Sliver+ one paired best with Allegro as it seemed the most expansive with smoothest treble. The stock Copper+ felt a bit thinner and flatter to me, which made the treble sound just a tad ‘tizzy’ by comparison to the Sliver+. The Hybrid+ was also pretty good, but just not quite as expansive-sounding as the Silver+ to me.

Sound
Bass I found to be fairly neutral, Allegro goes more for quality over quantity here, so if you are looking for a bass-head set, this is not it. That said, sub-bass extends well, and there is a pleasing amount of warmth in the mid-bass. Any less bass, and I would call Allegro bass-lite, but as they are they are fine.
Mids are tuned quite well, I thought there was enough warmth coming through the lower midrange to keep me happy, and with a slight emphasis in the upper range, I thought vocals came through clearly with no harshness or glare at all.
Treble seems to be the emphasis of Allegro, which I think works well to create a lively sound that is not harsh or sibilant anywhere to my ears. Electric guitar sounds great with Allegro, I quite enjoyed “Spirit of Radio” by Rush for example. I also had a listen to Radiohead’s “Airbag”, which is a track I like to use to try to expose over-done treble, but Allegro handled it really well; so well in fact I was half-way through OK Computer before I remembered I was supposed to be listening for bad treble, but instead I had been nudging the volume every now and then and just getting lost in one of my all-time favourite albums.

So yeah, I like Allegro’s tuning, despite how different it is to my current fave, the FiR Xe6. From this perspective, Allegro could be a nice complement to that sort of bass-heavy sound.

Technically Allegro is Very Good, but not quite Great. Allegro soundstage has plenty of width, but the centre image feels hollowed out to me, so the stage doesn’t feel particularly deep or tall, and I found its shape to be kind of a flat, elongated oval rather than a sphere. This isn’t a bad thing necessarily, I just prefer a more 3D-spherical shape to the stage like I get with the A12t or Xe6 for example. Detail retrieval is also very good, but doesn’t feel quite as effortless as others, such as VE Phonix or Noble Ronin for example. I don’t mean to be overly negative here, but when it comes to technical performance at this price level I feel there are others that are superior to Allegro.

My bottom line on Allegro is that while it is a very good IEM that I had some enjoyable moments listening to, nothing about it really stood out to me in the short time I had with it. The thing is, if I’m considering an IEM above the sort of $1-1.5k mark, I expect something about it to be “special” or for it to wow me in some way, enough to make it that compulsive I-just-want-to-listen experience that I crave. Allegro didn’t do that for me like the A12t, Andromeda2020, or Xe6 that I currently own always do; nor others in its price range I’m considering such as VE Phonix or Noble Ronin from the times I demoed them. Add in the ergonomic challenges with the size and shape of it’s shells and issues with the stock cable, and unfortunately Allegro is a little further down the list for me.

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #35 of 40
Hi all :) Just sharing my impressions on the Plussound Allegro. Hope you'll enjoy the video and huge thanks to @Damz87 for arranging and including me as part of the Australian HeadFi Tour for this IEM!

Thanks so much for the review and your time! We posted it to our socials.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #36 of 40
Sep 10, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #37 of 40
Hi all, some impressions of the Plussound Allego's & cables from the Aussie Tour set ….

Impressions of the Plusssound Allegro IEM - Australian Tour by @jaydoc1

The Plussound Allegro set was supplied as part of an Australian Tour set made possible by @Sebastien Chiu, @Damz87 and of course Plussound – big thanks guys for making this level of TOTL iem’s available for us Aussie Headfi’rs !

Introduction:

Plussound are a well known audiophile iem cable maker / brand from California, USA and have a solid reputation for producing a fine and extremely varied mix of cable designs and materials, which can be mixed and matched from their web-site. Cables range from the basic copper to more exotic materials (ie Palladium) and the material quality of the fittings used can also be varied. You can even buy the various fittings separately if you are a cable DIY’er. They also offer a range of Bluetooth sets to which you can connect your own iem’s to, so they are definitely a company that have something for everyone, especially now that they are dipping into iem’s at the TOTL level with the Allegro.

The Allegro, which is Plussound’s first iem, is marketed as a “high-end universal fitting in-ear monitor for audiophiles and musicians”, “Overall sound quality is characterized as balanced with an enhanced mid-high presentation for a highly detailed and clean sound. Perfect for many musical genres.”

1694183150370.png

Lets see if they hit the mark to my ears…

My Reference Sound Preferences:

When describing how I hear audio equipment, I think it is worth understanding where my musical preferences lay, as impartial as we try to be, our own day-to-day iem’s and the music we enjoy and the way we like to hear that music will likely influence what we think of specific iem’s. And as I’m a reader more than a reviewer I tend to use music examples to describe the sound rather than the more technical descriptors to convey my opinion of their sound.

My music preferences vary from alternative / indie artists; from the ‘heavier’ side to the ‘acoustic’, eg, Queens of the Stone Age, Iggy & The Stooges, Supergrass, Radiohead, Cat Power, The Breeders, Mazzy Star, The Pretenders; with the occasional classical (ie, 2001 A Space Odyssey soundtrack) plus a sprinkling of heavy / more complex multi-layered sounds via Bowies early stuff (Width of a Circle, See Emily Play, etc), Dandy Warhols, Joy Division and then some Kraftwork for good measure. Of particular note is Graham Coxon’s (of Blur guitarist fame) album “A & E” which I’ve found to be one of the most challenging music sets for an iem to cope with, which I’ll touch on later, as it’s quite revealing of an iem’s technical and coherance ability (or not !).

My time with the Allegro’s were spent playing from a Cayin N6ii with the R2R motherboard and an AK 2000T on hybrid tube / op amp mode and a Sony WM1Z. All music was hi-bit rate flac files.

IEM comparisons were inevitable with my own iems, such as the EA Axiom, UM Mason Fusang, HiFiMan Svanar, JHA/AK Layla Aion, JHA Lola, EVE-20’s by Vision Ears, Sony IER-M9’s and the AK T8Ei Mk2 (the AK tuned version of the Beyerdynamic Xlento) – some of which I’ll use for a direct sound comparison to the Allegro’s intended tuning focus, but more appropriately, given the price level, mainly with the UM Fusang’s and also the Hifiman Svanar’s just to see how close a modern take on a single DD iem can get to a sophisticated hybrid driver iem.

The Tour Kit:

Unusually for a tour kit (well, in my experience anyway) it included what looked to be the full accessory kit and more :
  • leather iem & cable case with an internal iem and cable stand, both of a beautiful standard of leather,
  • “Plus” (+) series cables x 3 – copper+ (in black cabling), silver plated copper (in grey cabling) and a hybrid cable mixing the 2 previous cables each with their own semi-rigid (leather ?) draw string bag,
  • Plussounds V2 bluetooth wireless dongle / copper braided cable set, also with it’s own semi-rigid draw-string bag,
  • Accessory set of Plussound tips, cable strap, cleaning cloth all in a compact but classy display box (with a see-through cover)
I must say that I appreciate Plussounds effort in making available such a richly accessorised tour set !

In these impressions I’ll also cover a separate section on the cables themselves in comparison to some of my own cables, which vary from Effect Audio, Beat Audio (with 7-pin connector for use with my JHA / AK Layla Aion), Eletech, Crystal Cable and my own Plussound exo-8 silver plated copper cable which I exclusively use with my JHA Lola (since it has a proprietary 4 pin connector).

Design, Build & Quality:

Firstly, pictures don’t do justice to the quality of finish of the Allegro’s – while they are an understated colorway in bronze and black, close examination shows the 2 part styling of the black multi-faceted body (a hint of Astell&Kern’s multi-angle style ?) with a slight satin and very robust coating over the aluminium body with the angular faceplate in a deep bronze-brown colour – again under-stated but very classy in-hand. Looking closer there is a neat venting feature between the body and faceplate – a very subtle slot running along the join between the two – very easy to miss, but nicely executed, bringing it all together with a substantial, but not too heavy feel in the hand (and ear). The finished coating gives the impression these Allegro’s would stand up well in the long term of use.

The sound nozzle is of medium length, a bit on the large-ish diameter, but beautifully sculptured in machined aluminium in a dish shape showing off the 3 sound ports.

Although the body size is on the largish side and your fit may vary compared to my larger ear size, but I found the Allegro’s to be very comfortable, getting a good seal with quite a few different tip brands I tried and suited me for long listening sessions.

All these design elements, while not flashy, show to me a thoughtful and tasteful design be-fitting it’s price range with the potential benefit (although they really haven’t been around long enough to tell) of a robust, likely to-be, long lasting finished iem.

Regarding the Allegro’s internals, it is a hybrid driver design comprised of two 10mm Dynamic Drivers (‘DD’s’) for the lows, six Balanced Armature (‘BA’) Drivers for the mids and four Electrostatic Drivers (‘estats’) for the high end frequency range.

Sound Impressions:

Treble
– sounds well controlled, well extended, great clarity and separation, not overly bright or sharp, giving most of the good aspects we now expect from e-stats but in comparison to some totl iem’s in this price range I didn’t hear that expected ‘e-stat‘ sparkle. Maybe, as I had found in some of the high end Vision Ear iem’s, this is a conscious tuning decision to ensure good coherency across all the frequency ranges. This is shown to good effect in songs like David Bowies “Alladin Sane” where the almost jazz-improv piano style through e-stat’s often make the piano sound almost bordering on sibilant to me, but the Allegro’s held a nice, clear high and extended sibilant-free tone, but slightly lacking in that high pitch piano sparkle or energy. I suppose this is what Plussound deem as their ‘refined’ high frequency tuning style for the Allegro’s.

Mids – with 6BA drivers covering the mids (actually covering from mid-low to mid-high) you would expect the Allegro’s to be a mid-centric tuned iem, but on close examination you can here a slight “W” shape from mid-low to mid to mid-high, meaning the mid area is slightly scalloped out leading to just a slight thinness in the vocal range – please bear in mind I’m talking relativity here in comparison to other totl iem’s – not a distinct negative really, just an observation that the bass and the treble seem to have some space leading to / or from from the mids / vocal region adding to the vocal clarity but not giving vocal dominant tracks an over-bearing sound.

I’m not sure if I’m conveying this too well, but the net effect is that while the vocals sound slightly recessed it’s countered by very good separation space for them, without needing to ramp up the loudness in the vocal range un-naturally. An example where this works well is in bands like Stone Roses where the lead singer Ian Browns subdued vocal style is given space over continually rolling drums and bass guitar on songs like “Fools Gold” without needing to over amp / or EQ his laid back style to be heard clearly. This style of tuning would work well for complex layered ‘wall of sound’ rock tracks without the other lower and higher frequencies drowning out the vocal area (see the Sound / Timbre section for more on this).

Bass – I was expecting a bit of a bass cannon given the 2 DD drivers for this region, but again Plussound seems to be going for a more refined, very even, and distinct clarity in both the bass and sub-bass regions, so not quite the punch and slam I was expecting.

But I think this is not what Plussound was aiming for. Like the treble and mids, it’s the clarity, separation, extension, and refinement that shines through in the bass area while still providing an enjoyable bass depth and pitch. Again, using the band “Stone Roses” as an example given their signature rolling bass riffs and sub-bass tones that is used in many of their songs, such as “I Want to be Adored”, the Allegro’s are able to give clear distinction and space between bass and sub-bass with no signs of bleeding from one into the other while still providing an enjoyable level (but not really ‘bass-head level) of bass rumble and clarity – the ability to pick out a mild bass riff behind the dominate drums on this track puts this iem into one of rare totl iems I’ve heard that have this technical ability mixed with a pleasurable, but not over-done, bass tone (unless you are a bit of a bass-head of course, then it’s not likely to satisfy you).

Sound, Timbre, Cohesiveness - this is where I’ll try to look at the sound, the emotional and musicality connection I had (or not).

Plussound market the tuning of the Allegro as “refinement”. For their intended design & tuning purposes I do think they have hit the mark here while not having a dominant frequency that stands out and grabs your attention immediately, it does provide a very cohesive, deep soundstage, not necessarily that wide to be at the holographic level, but in keeping with that refinement catch-phrase they deliver a dynamic, high clarity and slightly on the warmish side of timbre. This is a tuning style that does suit me, so I am generally a bit of a fan of the Allego’s tuning balance, note weight and energy across all the frequency ranges.

This refinement in tuning style produces some unique abilities when it comes to complex mixed rock music, as mentioned earlier, such as with an album like “A & E” by Graham Coxon (guitarist of the band Blur on a solo project album), which contains very extreme/ over-laid guitar / bass / vocals / driving drums / electro tones to create an over-arching melody in some (maybe most !) of his songs (eg, ‘The Truth’, ‘City Hall’) that can make very harsh listening on lesser well tuned iem’s, but on the Allegro’s it holds it all together so well that the over-laid combined melodies are not lost in a sea of sound frequencies and energy – maybe only iem’s like the Oriolus Trialli, and exceptionally (given it’s single DD coherence properties) the HifiMan Svanar, that I have noticed before to have that control of tuning with this level of musical complexity (prefacing that I’m sure there is more accomplished iems out there that I haven’t heard yet !).

On the negative side, while I think this is a well designed and tuned iem, it is not necessarily likely to ‘wow’ you on first listen. But as I found with longer listening sessions, assessing it’s sound vs my other high end iems and noticing the high levels of clarity and coherence without over-emphasising any particular frequency range, combined with a warmish musical tone, the Allegro provides a sound signature sometimes missed in some others at this totl level in the chase for more & more technicality ability and complexity in driver design. I have, as such, come to appreciate the fine job Plussound have done with the Allego’s, especially at this cost level with their first produced iem, given so many other companies putting out totl iems that are more likely to give a more ‘noticible’ first listen.

As a certain Aussie music icon used to regularly say when reviewing bands; “Do yourself a favour…..” and give the Allegro a lengthy listening session, if you can, and I think this maybe sums up the Allegro’s appeal to me – in the world of totl iem’s it may not be flashy in looks or have an initially attention grabbing tuning emphasis, but this is a very mature, well designed and tuned iem, worthy of it’s totl status. One that many audiophiles out there may come to appreciate too.

The Allegro’s and Comparisons to other IEM’s:

Unique Melody Fusang
: with a full set of 12 BA’s plus a full range bone conducting driver (BCD), the design of these is quite different to the Allego’s but, maybe having a similar end result with refinement and a musical sound signature, without the wow factor in any particular frequency range.

Interesting that even a similarity in bass and sub-bass – showing perhaps that the well tuned double DD driver set in the Allegro can provide a similar quick, warm and deep bass sound to BA + Bone Conductor driver set in the Fusang.

Soundstage I would give (just) to the Fusang, perhaps related to the BCD full range driver giving a slightly larger and more holographic feel to the sound. This is most noticeable in a track from the “Dot Allison” album “We are Science” – on the song “Strung Out” the opening vocals intentionally move from left to right fairly quickly and clearly on the Allegro’s but on UM’s Fusang the same vocals have a more travelling around the head sound – you have to listen closely to pick it up, but the Fusangs present the same vocals in a more 3D space / movement. However, with the Fusangs, to deliver this soundstage level, you are paying with efficiency to drive them – they do need a decently amped DAP to drive them well (eg, my Sony WM1Z needs the sound to be set very high to keep up with my preferred listening levels compared to the Allego’s).

Hifiman Svanar: As a totl iem in the Hifiman iem range, the Svanar is actually half the price of the Allegro’s but thought it worth a comparison with what a highly technical single driver iem can do, with the advantage this can bring in coherance.

While the Svanar’s have become one of my most enjoyable long listening session iems due to their combination of perfect low profile fit, good seal and insertion together with a range of technicalities (speed, separation and clarity, etc) better than any single DD has a right to have plus the expected coherence of a totl single DD warmish sound tone that I do enjoy, however the Allegro’s really do produce sound abilities beyond the Svanar in most all areas (which of course should be expected at it’s price point) except for fit which the HiFiman excels. Maybe not really a fair comparison, but I am still impressed by how close the Svanar’s can get to this highest level iem from Plussound (and many others). In the end a well designed a thoughtfully tuned (see the mids section) hybrid iem really has the ability to extend the sound technicalities.

DAP Compatibility:

This will be a fairly concise section, as I found the Allegro didn’t really favour any particular DAP of mine – it seems to be efficient to drive and so a DAP such as Sony’s WM1Z with a not particularly strong amp section, didn’t really suffer in energy or tone compared to hooking them up to a stronger amped DAP such as the AK 2000T.

The Allegro’s technical abilities seemed to be also a good match to the Cayin N6ii with it’s R2R motherboard, adding some nice extra clarity to the R2R’s normal warm & lush sound signature.

So, it seems the Allegro, (well, with my DAP collection anyway) is quite versatile in synergy with DAP’s – it’s refined tuning seems to bring out the best in DAP’s and the ability to add some extra ‘polish’ where the DAP may have a slight shortfall (eg, lower powered amp, R2R resolution, etc). This type of sophistication in tuning and driver types to enable good DAP (and accessory – see following cable section) matching and enhancement is, I suppose, what additional benefits you are getting, in addition to the sublime sound signature, for the big bucks you pay for this totl level of iem performance.

Cables:

As a tour kit, Plussound were very generous in providing a nice collection of 4 different cable sets to trial, one being their own branded Bluetooth dongle style adapter.

As the three traditional style wire cable sets were all of the same build style, braids, connectors, etc, I will cover the quality build under the one heading, then discuss the sound signatures separately for each.

Cable Build & Quality : Firstly covering the fittings (splitter, neck slider) ; they are all use a similar round or barrel shaped, anodized (in a variety of available colours) aluminium, fairly undecorated, but of high quality in finish and machining standard. Either end of the cable connectors (2-pin at the iem side, 4.4mm at the DAP side) are Plussound branded fittings with a fairly deep protective finish (doesn’t seem to be anodized) but with the tips where the cables entered having a nicely scalloped anodized ring in place of the common shrink wrap protective short sleeve to prevent excessive cable kinking at the entry point – a very nicely done detail, which can also be colour matched to whatever style you select if purchasing via their custom build web-site menu.

The cable in each case were a 4 wire braid using a fairly taught “PS” insulation material in a matte black finish – not as flexible as many other brands out there, but with this thicker type wire coating together with the extra insulation coating (signified by the “+” nomenclature on the product name), I am thinking this extra stiffness will pay back in a superior sound condition (insulation) and a long lifetime cable (thick PS coating over the insulation), and likely able to stand up to a lot of mobile use. They really do convey a strong build style. Cable sleeve colours are a bit muted – a light grey to denote silver cables, black for copper wire and then obviously for the hybrid cable a mix of light grey and black. While in keeping with the refined image of the Allegro’s, if you are looking to be more flamboyant, Plussounds web-site custom menu gives you the ability to select a range of wires (4, 6, 8), braid types, styles and sleeve material types and wire materials (with some very exotic metals available too) if you want.

Cable 1 – The Copper + : This was a cable made using UP-OCC with a rated purity of 7N (7 nine’s, ie 99.99999% pure copper) ….. with a black insulation cover braid in 4 wires. The sound condition is pretty much what is traditionally found in copper – an enhanced lower end bass, smooth mids and fairly neutral treble range. Compared to some other copper cables I have (Eletech Fortitude) I detected a slightly fuller soundstage and maybe a bit of extra detail in the treble & mids, with similar sound signature in the bass region. Given it’s superior sound effect, and potentially long resilient wear protection, both likely from that extra insulation layer, I would say it’s a good value copper only cable adding a worthwhile signature beyond that of un-insulated cables.

1694183279836.png

Cable 2 – The Silver + : Uses what Plussound term their “high purity, 24swg silver wire”, meaning this is a pure silver cable with a fairly thick wire gauge (24swg) added to that an extra insulation layer, means this is not a supple cable, but as the braiding is neat and consistent, micro-phonics are low, the extra stiffness is liveable for mobile use to me. The overall effect on the sound is that of nicely added extra detail and sharpness of note to the sound signature of the Allegro’s, compared to what I heard when using the Copper+ cable. And not just in the upper frequencies, but across the whole spectrum, there seems to be a bit more micro-detail to the sound. I didn’t detect a noticeable change in sound-staging, but the Silver+ seems to maintain what is already there produced by the iem itself.

As previously mentioned, the Allegro has that ‘refined’ sound signature, so a little bit of added resolution in the high frequency region from the Silver+ cable gives it a nice bit of extra ‘sparkle’, extending just a touch more into what we would normally expect out of high-end e-stat drivers. Good match with this cable, and, in comparison to some EA and Eletech silver plated OCC based cables I have on hand (admittedly they are at lower prices point though) the sharpness extension does seem more noticeable with the Plussound pure silver wire cable.

1694183321403.png

Cable 3 – The Hybrid + : Fundamentally a cable made by intertwining / braiding the Copper+ and Siver+ cables together, and thus no surprise that, sonically, it combines the best of both and so tends till fill each other’s frequency range gaps to produce a more energetically sound from the Allegro’s – this became my favourite pairing of the 3 cable materials in the tour set – the extra low end energy and sound-stage extension of the Copper+, together with the added resolution of the Silver+ cable, gave the Allegro’s a bit of an extra energy push beyond it’s normal ‘refined’ tuning, and, for my musical tastes, added an extra bit of enjoyment to rock music tracks without loosing the smooth refinement when needed for more laid back tracks. Again the Allegos’ seem to respond and work well a wide range of musical styles even when given an extra energy dose by this Hybrid+ cable – recommended pairing !

1694183359436.png

Cable 4 – The “TWS-C” Bluetooth Dongle : This is a product of Plussounds own design, and can be fitted with just about any of their cable materials and braid sets available – in the case of the tour set, their traditional 6-wire, litz style braided and clear sleeved copper cable that connects via standard 2-pin connectors to the iem (and so is usable with any 2-pin iem + you can order many other iem connector styles from mmcx to JHA 4 pin, etc) and ending in a fairly sizable black dongle body made of anodized aluminium, so is worn sort of like a necklace dangling around and then down from your ears. With this size comes usefully sized buttons for pause / play, and volume up / down and a good-sized rechargeable battery.

The spec sheet says Bluetooth 5.0, firmare upgradeable, so has a useful range of codec’s (except for LDAC, which if you want to use, Plussounds new V3 Bluetooth cable device has) and a good feature set including preset EQ adjustments and are configured as ‘balanced’ output to your iem. Additionally, they are multi-device compatible too – up to 3 devices simultaneously, and it also contains a multi-directional microphone for phone call use.

1694183398718.png

Again Plussound are showing their design thoughtfulness in such a feature rich set product and a robust and easily accessible and versatile design.

There doesn’t appear to be an available app, however all adjustability incl EQ presets are adjustable from the dongle body buttons, so is not a critical omission, although maybe in the future Plussound could consider this, as many people do like to fiddle with apps for their Bluetooth devices.

So, it’s feature rich, but how does it sound ? Well in a word, “rich” (for a bluetooth device) – it has a nice warmness that suits my sound preferences while displaying good treble and base extension and clarity for a bluetooth device (I haven’t really heard a BT device yet… well maybe one…that doesn’t cause a slight ‘rounding’ off of the sonic properties). Bluetooth connections are solid and have reasonable to good separation distances from the source. To get the best out of this device you really need to be using an Android device to take advantage of the high transmission rate capability of the device.

For audiophiles, this is a unique Bluetooth device adding the ability to add high end cables to the bt device and, as it’s again, a well designed and feature rich Plussound design it’s able to take advantage of these high end cables and the high end iem’s it’s connected to, to produce as good as you can get Bluetooth sound qualities in a highly mobile setup (just make sure it’s an Android based source). Recommended !

Wrap-up:

There has been many a cable manufacturer enter into making and / or designing / collaborating to release a TOTL iem into a market always relentless to discover the next big thing, the next breakthrough in technology and with that the next level of sound quality – but this technical progress and sound quality benefit are not always in sync.

Often in such a competitive and critical listening market there must be some hard choices for an iem maker – how to ‘wow’ the market, how to stand out, do we tune for instant gratification or for more refined listening tastes ? This often then results in providing the audiophile with a smorgasbord of TOTL iems that are often quite different sounding, with the maker hoping it to become a long lasting and loved product. Some examples that have maintained this level of appeal without a specific ‘wow’ factor (other than their glorious sound signature across the frequency spectrum) are I suppose the 64 Audio UT12 or the Oriolus Trialli, both of which have maintained a long loyal following beyond the normal lifespan in the iem market.

While I’m not necessarily claiming the Allegro’s have this level of reverence, I can see that Plussound are aiming for this type of sophisticated tuning level, musicality and ability to sound enjoyable with a wide range of music styles and the versatility to sync well with many DAP’s and cables , etc – and the Allego’s have come very close to achieving this level of refinement to my ears and musical tastes.

Plussounds cables are also a factor in this refinement of product, having well chosen design elements, robust cable construction and quality of finish – with a good and distinct effect on the sound signature with each of the wire materials used – and if going the custom route, an ability to create ‘your’ preferred cable design opens up a world of tuning possibilities given the Allegro’s versatility in picking up the sound variations of the various elements in the sound path.

This, then, is an iem that brings out it’s best in longer listening sessions, so I would suggest “Do yourself a favour…..” and give the Allegro a decent listening trial, and well done Plussound for creating such a mature and well designed iem in the Allegro, and at it’s first iem product at that !

And finally, I must mention, with great thanks for the opportunity to tryout such wonderful gear, to the local efforts of our Aussie Cooler ‘main man’ @Damz87, @Sebastien Chiu and of course Plussound for making such an extensive tour set available to us Aussies to try out.

Cheers, JD

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #38 of 40
Alright Guys,
Here it goes my impressions about the Plussound Allegro.

Disclaimer

Just to get this out of the way first. These IEMs were part of the Australian Tours where I’m glad to be back home and be able to be part of it.

Before even starting I would like to remember that I’m not a professional reviewer and I do this for fun and love for the music. Sonic impressions are completely subjective and in this case it’s my unique opinion, feel free to have yours, but always remember to respect your forum colleges.

IEM and Package Itself

The package received is not in the retail box, but it came with on the great PS caring case which also works as a display for your beautiful IEMS. It’s made of leather, fits even thick cables and brings de deserved luxury to the package. Specially when you consider the price of them (I haven’t checked that until I finished my listening)

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Inside the beautiful caring case you will find the IEMs itself. As a design and build quality point of view, the Allegro’s are flawless. The colour did hit up right it is placed in the market price. But…like everything in life, nothing is perfect… and let’s take this out of the way. The IEMs are big and heavy with a short nozzle. This combination makes it really hard to find a good fit, which I couldn’t have for most of the time.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Sound

Let’s go to what’s matter

As I will be mentioning below, this IEM will excel in Soundtracks with its wide and extended edges of the frequency. So for that let’s use some Soundtrack scores to talk about this.

Let’s start with Hanz Zimmer - Road Runner 2049. It's a great experience with lots of sub bass and effects and drums coming your way that if you close your eyes you can clearly see it. The way this IEM renders everything below 800Hz is impressively immersive. The tension growing in "Flight to LAPD" can be felt growing in you as the music goes. It got me so off guard that I went back to compare to MSE and LX (using same source and cable) on this low end and Allegro didn't shy off this fight, delivery on the same level or even deeper rumble.

In "Wallace", you can feel the dynamics of extreme sub lows, with upper mids effects testing your perception field, soundstage expansion and imaging. If this IEM doesn’t cut your expectation for general music, it does cut for Movies and soundtracks. :)

In the end I got myself grooving it's clean and deep low ends. This whole soundtrack is an experience worth of all goosebumps possible and, in my case, some dreams as I was completely immersed in it with my eyes closed. In this case it was Oppenheimer Original Soundtrack, you can few the tension on the songs, deep extensions and rumble.

But, I found Allegro to struggle a bit with speedy and busy song, which I noticed the vocals were not the star of the show, sounding a bit unnatural to me. The high hats and cymbals sounded metallic and unnatural in busy songs like in Amon Amarth album Berserker.

Even though Allegro is a bit bright, it went quite well with more analogue recorded albums, like it transports you to when these bands were just sex, drugs and Rock and Roll. Raw, deep and expressive songs… in this case sounding quite right there rocking with the band, like AC/DC Back in Black album. It gives that feeling of small venues, alcohol and just fun. Another good example of how Allegro could sound quite enjoyable and a time machine is Montley Crue Red, White & Crue album or Motorhead Ace of spades.

From the provided cables from Plussound the one that got the most exciting and balanced sound was the Silver version, it add a bit of air to the signature without loosing the texture. so all the comparisons done on this impressions were with this cable. (and it looks great together)

IMG_8377.jpeg

Final Thoughts

If you can get over the fit issues, Allegro is quite and enjoyable IEM to listen to, but to me it is still an specialised piece of gear. I mostly listen to Metal, instrumental Metal and soundtracks. So this IEM would fit a niche for me and would fit really well. But unfortunately the fit is a dealbreaker.

And a few more pictures for your pleasing as these are quite photogenic. :)

IMG_8374.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_8379.jpeg

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #39 of 40
Continuing to enjoy the Allegro's and in turn continue to try tips and cables to see how it changes the sound.
My cable of choice continues to be the Plussound X8 PPH, but been doing a lot of tip rolling lately
Purchased the Eletech Baroque tips
Allegro's which to date have been the most sensitive to tip changes I've experienced with any IEM I've owned, putting the Baroque tips on, its been all positive.
Until the Baroques arrived my tip of choice has been the Azla Crystal's on the Allegro's as usually silicon material based tips, I find they do a great job of enhancing bass, at the expense of clarity in the highs (IE Azla Max) and sometimes muddy mids.

So far the Baroque's have met and exceeded expectations. but intend to sit down after CanJam Socal this weekend and do some real critical listening
So far....Great solid clear bass and sub bass with nice speed/decay, nice warm and smooth mids, and did not change the highs vs the Azla Crystal
And VERY comfortable, immediately noticeable as soon as they went into my ears.
Can whole heartedly recommend based on my early listening to these tips.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #40 of 40
Alright Guys,
Here it goes my impressions about the Plussound Allegro.

Disclaimer

Just to get this out of the way first. These IEMs were part of the Australian Tours where I’m glad to be back home and be able to be part of it.

Before even starting I would like to remember that I’m not a professional reviewer and I do this for fun and love for the music. Sonic impressions are completely subjective and in this case it’s my unique opinion, feel free to have yours, but always remember to respect your forum colleges.

IEM and Package Itself

The package received is not in the retail box, but it came with on the great PS caring case which also works as a display for your beautiful IEMS. It’s made of leather, fits even thick cables and brings de deserved luxury to the package. Specially when you consider the price of them (I haven’t checked that until I finished my listening)

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Inside the beautiful caring case you will find the IEMs itself. As a design and build quality point of view, the Allegro’s are flawless. The colour did hit up right it is placed in the market price. But…like everything in life, nothing is perfect… and let’s take this out of the way. The IEMs are big and heavy with a short nozzle. This combination makes it really hard to find a good fit, which I couldn’t have for most of the time.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Sound

Let’s go to what’s matter

As I will be mentioning below, this IEM will excel in Soundtracks with its wide and extended edges of the frequency. So for that let’s use some Soundtrack scores to talk about this.

Let’s start with Hanz Zimmer - Road Runner 2049. It's a great experience with lots of sub bass and effects and drums coming your way that if you close your eyes you can clearly see it. The way this IEM renders everything below 800Hz is impressively immersive. The tension growing in "Flight to LAPD" can be felt growing in you as the music goes. It got me so off guard that I went back to compare to MSE and LX (using same source and cable) on this low end and Allegro didn't shy off this fight, delivery on the same level or even deeper rumble.

In "Wallace", you can feel the dynamics of extreme sub lows, with upper mids effects testing your perception field, soundstage expansion and imaging. If this IEM doesn’t cut your expectation for general music, it does cut for Movies and soundtracks. :)

In the end I got myself grooving it's clean and deep low ends. This whole soundtrack is an experience worth of all goosebumps possible and, in my case, some dreams as I was completely immersed in it with my eyes closed. In this case it was Oppenheimer Original Soundtrack, you can few the tension on the songs, deep extensions and rumble.

But, I found Allegro to struggle a bit with speedy and busy song, which I noticed the vocals were not the star of the show, sounding a bit unnatural to me. The high hats and cymbals sounded metallic and unnatural in busy songs like in Amon Amarth album Berserker.

Even though Allegro is a bit bright, it went quite well with more analogue recorded albums, like it transports you to when these bands were just sex, drugs and Rock and Roll. Raw, deep and expressive songs… in this case sounding quite right there rocking with the band, like AC/DC Back in Black album. It gives that feeling of small venues, alcohol and just fun. Another good example of how Allegro could sound quite enjoyable and a time machine is Montley Crue Red, White & Crue album or Motorhead Ace of spades.

From the provided cables from Plussound the one that got the most exciting and balanced sound was the Silver version, it add a bit of air to the signature without loosing the texture. so all the comparisons done on this impressions were with this cable. (and it looks great together)

IMG_8377.jpeg

Final Thoughts

If you can get over the fit issues, Allegro is quite and enjoyable IEM to listen to, but to me it is still an specialised piece of gear. I mostly listen to Metal, instrumental Metal and soundtracks. So this IEM would fit a niche for me and would fit really well. But unfortunately the fit is a dealbreaker.

And a few more pictures for your pleasing as these are quite photogenic. :)

IMG_8374.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_8379.jpeg

Continuing to enjoy the Allegro's and in turn continue to try tips and cables to see how it changes the sound.
My cable of choice continues to be the Plussound X8 PPH, but been doing a lot of tip rolling lately
Purchased the Eletech Baroque tips
Allegro's which to date have been the most sensitive to tip changes I've experienced with any IEM I've owned, putting the Baroque tips on, its been all positive.
Until the Baroques arrived my tip of choice has been the Azla Crystal's on the Allegro's as usually silicon material based tips, I find they do a great job of enhancing bass, at the expense of clarity in the highs (IE Azla Max) and sometimes muddy mids.

So far the Baroque's have met and exceeded expectations. but intend to sit down after CanJam Socal this weekend and do some real critical listening
So far....Great solid clear bass and sub bass with nice speed/decay, nice warm and smooth mids, and did not change the highs vs the Azla Crystal
And VERY comfortable, immediately noticeable as soon as they went into my ears.
Can whole heartedly recommend based on my early listening to these tips.

Forgot to respond to this - thanks for sharing guys!

Allegro has nearly sold through, we greatly appreciate the support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back