Plussound Allegro - Official Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 40
@scuba wich source did you prefer with Allegro.
You’ve a lot of dap, dac and dongles so it would be helpful know more on pairings🤭

You've a different 'scuba' tagged! I only listened with DX320X and H7, both excellent, hard to say which I prefer. I had planned to spend time with LPGT but it had been away for repair and only arrived back on Tuesday... unfortunately bad timing as very busy in work, and didn't have time to try.

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #17 of 40
For what it's worth I find the pairing of Allegro with RS8 to be end-game good for me. They are similar in sound and so mutually support each other's expansive sound-stage, captivatingly organic lower mids and treble with great articulation and detail detailed but never turns harsh. Pairing the Allegros with the DX312EX I heard the uppermids take on a bit more emphasis as well as the sub-bass. To me this worked contrary to the warmer upper bass/lower mids native to the Allegros, as well as introduced some potential hotness in the upper-mids. I have recently been listening to them on the new Hiby R6III that is still burning in. So far this is the brightest source of the three but the synergy is actually quite good, better than the DX312EX I would say because that brightness of the RSIII is more in the treble and more forward midrange but it has a good balance between sub and mid bass that doesn't kill the Allegro's warmth. Hope that helps.

Mar 5, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #18 of 40
Today we review the Allegro on Headfonia. An article by @Virtu Fortuna .

https://www.headfonia.com/plussound-allegro-review/

chrome_2023-03-05_12-59-37.png

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #19 of 40
I looked but I'm not sure you mention what source you used for the body of your analysis or any comparison of different sources. I wonder if your feelings about the treble response might stem from the source? Anyway, for what it's worth, I am not using foam tips, listening through the Hiby RS8, and I find the treble to be a bit subdued in fact - which is how I like it personally - so I just wanted to mention a slightly different experience. Also I find the RS8 to provide and insanely black background that allows notes to emerge and bloom in perfect coherency.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #20 of 40
Mar 18, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 40
PlusSound Allegro Impressions from an NA Tour 2 Participant

First and foremost
I don’t consider myself a reviewer in the same class as Twister6, Deezel177, Marcus or others out there who I follow and respect greatly, but just someone who enjoys audio *hence my handle" and has been around the block a few times with Home and Personal audio, and likes to share information so hence my comment of this being a “write up”. And please note what I write below is "My Opinion" which together with a buck might get you a cup of coffee, having said this please read on if you like
Thank You's to Christian and Sebastien who made this all possible!

Pros:
Wide and holographic Soundstage with the proper cable
Clarity and detail regardless of source material
Fit and Finish
Does NOT require lots of power to drive properly, and responds well to more power.
Responds well to tuning via cable and tips

Cons:
Responding well to tuning via cables and tips means lots of trial and error to get to best sound which some may not want to do.
(NOTE: your normal go to’s might not be the best choice)
Size in ear (might not fit all ear types, large backside)
Shorter Sound Tubes with larger overall size might not be comfortable for all users

Thanks to Christian at PlusSound and Sebastian Chu for arranging this tour for the Allegro IEM
Typical of Christian’s work with PlusSound cables and his attention to detail of how subtle changes in materials and formats make a huge change in sound it is no wonder the Allegro’s are no different, and the sound quality is what you expect from a company that has established itself as a premier sound provider.
I went into this tour not knowing what to expect, for a first time entry into the higher end IEM market, and was VERY pleasantly surprised that there is no need to wait for version 2 of the Allegro to get great sound.

Unboxing Experience
The unboxing experience was as premium of an experience one would expect from a company having been around for 10+ years In this industry
Included is PlusSound’s zippered leather case and leather IEM stand insert that not only holds the IEM but allows the cable to be attached and wound tangle free and stood up to be displayed.
A wide choice of tips is provided but more on that below
Additionally tools and accessories worthy of a TOTL IEM are included (Microfiber cloth, cleaning brush, and a leather cable strap )
For the tour also included on top of the standard Copper+ EXO PlusSound cable, testers were PlusSound’s Silver+ and Hybrid+ cables along with the new Bluetooth C wireless adapter using PlusSound’s Copper cabling

Exterior and Build
The Allegro’s utilize beautifully CNC machined aluminum alloy bodies, with a copper Anodized mutli-angled front, and a diamond like faceted black anodized back, making these very attractive. They feel solid in hand are not to heavy and comfortable in my ears (YMMV)
The vertical vent slot for the dual dynamic drivers blends away with the overall look, and I had to really look for the vent, expecting the usual hole or port. Nicely done.
The Allegros are an IEM on the larger size, as it is hiding inside the 12 drivers (Twin 10mm Dynamic Drivers for the bass, 6 Balanced Armature Drivers for the Mids and 4 Electrostatic Drivers for the Highs/Super Highs) and the PlusSound silver wiring connecting them all internally
The result is a very clear and crisp sound with no odd artifacts or to my ears no odd harmonics.

Sound
The Allegro’s have a very wide soundstage that with the standard Copper+ cable is wider to me than deep but still provides a nice amount of depth and height. It has a very holographic sound stage with lots of layering. Instruments and performers seem to be in their own space on stage, and depending on cable choice you can tune that also. Clarity of voices and instruments are excellent and all seem to work together nicely with no perceived gaps.
To that end, EVERYTHING about the sound can be tuned and the Allegro’s respond to the smallest changes, which is both good and well challenging.
For the Cables, the normal Copper+ give the Allegro’s a warmer tone, with a slightly laid back midrange and clear and accurate highs, but for some this might be overly warm, especially if using an amp/dac combo that can be set to Class A. It has a nice Analog sound to it using the Copper+ regardless of Class A or Class AB amplification being used
Using the Silver+, things brighten up quite a bit, and the bass overall moves more towards the upper bass range, but still has sub bass rumble, but a little less than the Copper+
The sound was a little faster paced and brighter with the Silver+
While using the Silver+ the highs were never sibilant or piercing to me, this combination was a little fatiguing, being a little high mid forward and felt to me IMO a little less balanced. I can see for sources that require this kind of pace it might be a good match. To be cliché it was more digital in its sound signature
My favorite of the 3 cables was the Hybrid+ which kept much of the warmth and analog tone and low bass impact of the Copper+ and seemed to balance the faster brighter highs of the Silver+. The mids were a little less forward, and the overall balance and clarity to me was perfect
Changing from Class A amplification to Class AB allowed additional fine tuning of the source material and allowed the Allegro’s to really show its stuff regardless of which cable was being used.
My favorite cable from PlusSound is their X8 Palladium Platted Hybrid (PPH, an combination of Palladium Platted OCC Copper and OCC Silver), and I was able to pair this cable with the Allegro’s and was not disappointed, and its no wonder I probably leaned towards the Hybrid+’s sound signature. With the PPH cable the soundstage was even wider and the depth also increased but while it was close (really close) I do have to give the Hybrid+ a nod for being slightly more accurate in the highs but the PPH to me was just a little more musical.
But either cable would be a fine addition to the Allegro’s for most IMO.

Ear Tips
Be warned the Allegro’s are probably the most sensitive to tip type and size of ANY IEM I’ve used to date including some extended time with the Triallii, and some auditioning I’ve done with the latest TOTL / Near TOTL IEM’s like the Noble Kublai Khan and the EE Odin. (Unfortunately I did not have these on hand at the same time as the Allegro so don’t think its fair to do a head to head comparison from memory, just commenting on these IEM’s were a little less sensitive to tip selection)
While I normally don’t use silicon tips, the provided silicon tips for my smaller ear canals were the most comfortable, but also felt the least stable (just felt that way, the Allegro’s never fell out or broke the seal for diminished bass). The silicon tips also had the effect of making the bass sound less accurate and the highs suffered some veiling. The Allegro’s became to me VERY mid forward, almost to the point of sound like FM broadcast
I normally like foam eartips for their isolation and comfort, as well as assist with bass, but not sure if the smaller bore on the supplied Comply Foam tips or they just absorbed up the sound, but the Comply Foam tips just completely killed the bass for me, and well were not that comfortable
The provided Hybrid Symbio tips to me were the worst
Not comfortable at all, and just really for me killed the accuracy and soundstage
Luckily I always keep a selection of foam, hybrid and silicon ear tips for testing.
To cut to the chase for me, the best sound came from the Azla Crystal tips which is silicon like polymer ear tip that molds to your ear and has a very solid rigid and large bore/core. Even over their usually higher rated Xlastic Ear tips. Was NOT expecting this at all.
These really did allow the Allegro’s to shine, and going through all the cables, time and time again this is the tips I kept coming back to, but this is all to my ears and IMO, so please try your favorites as YMMV.

Testing Environment
Might be good to mention at this point since I’ve mentioned moving from Class A to Class AB amp, my testing was done on several sources
The Cayin N8ii, the Lotoo PAW 6000, both standalone and also going through a Cayin C9 amp, placing both DAP’s into Pre-Out mode taking the amplification circuit out of mix.
With the N8ii and C9 I tried both Class A and AB amplification, as well as Solid State and Tubes mode.
The greater power from the C9 didn’t affect the Allergo’s as much as I thought it might. Also on both the C9 and N8ii, High Gain to Low gain (for the C9) and High Gain to Med Gain didn’t change the sound as much as tip tunning did. For the N8ii P/P+ did make a difference but for me P+ was not as pleasant to listen to then P was
For most of my critical listening, I used the N8ii in Tubes/P/Med Gain and found the Allegro’s to respond quite nicely to these settings, providing a nice balance of analog type sound to digital speed and warmth to clarity/accuracy.
Source files were a mix of 16 and 24 Bit FLAC files and high variable bit rate (VBR) MP3 files.
Also some higher end streaming HD/HD+ files from Amazon Music going through the computer into the C9 or from the N8ii direct.
Jazz (Classic and Modern) Classic to 80’s rock, Classical music were the genres used

TWS-C Wireless
I also tested the provided PlusSound Wireless C adapter, and found it easy to use and pair and close to the sound of direct wired connections. With PlusSounds ability to spec cable choices this too will allow a buyer to tune the Allegro’s to be what they want in an wireless format.

Summary
If your looking for an IEM that has clarity and excellent staging, are easy to drive, responds favorably to any and all HW you throw at it, and allow you have a blank canvas from which you can experiment with changes to your hearts content (and do not mind doing so) these will be a great addition to your collection.
I’d place the Allegro’s on par with any of the higher end IEM’s I’ve auditioned recently.
Would I but these? Well let’s say they are on my “to buy next” list now.

IF you’ve made it this far in my impression write up, Thank You
And please remember what I wrote above is IMO and YMMV

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 40
Plussound Allegro

Pros
: Great overall balance
Excellent low range, even if not very deep
Midrange balanced and in line with the rest
High range (in my opinion) very elegant and never intrusive
The right transparency, good voices with my preference for male voices
With Plussound cables, you can make a little different sound every time

Cons : A bit heavy, and big
They don't have an immense three-dimensionality
Some might find the highs a bit “tame”

My sincere thanks to Christian and Sebastien for their availability and the wonderful initiative of the Allegro Tour. And thanks at the same time for introducing me to the Plussound cables that I had only heard of but never listened to. Also other brands should follow the same initiative as Plussound……Thank you very much.

Technical specifications:
Drivers Used / Two 10mm Dynamic Drivers (for Low and Sub Low frequencies), Six Balanced Armatures (for Mid-Low, Mid, and Mid-High frequencies), Four Electrostatic Drivers (for High and Super High frequencies)
Crossovers / 6-Way Network
Impedance / 10 ohms @1kHz @1mW
Sensitivity / 112dB @1kHz
Allegro is presented (if I understand correctly) in the same black box that is attributed to the packaging of the Exo line cables. The real IEMs are instead contained in an elegant and comfortable light brown leather case. In the case itself we find a kind of circle a few centimeters thick, for winding the cable itself.
Allegro has 2 DD + 6 BA + 4 EST. Contrary to what I have read about the "difficult" fit, I must say that I personally found the fit very simple and excellent stability with the Symbio tips. Excellent stability even with Plussound tips. Which I find aesthetically very beautiful. Overall, the insulation is excellent. But I believe that, as often happens, it depends a lot on the shape and typicality of the single ear. I (again) have not had any problems….
The drivers as a whole work harmoniously with each other, and the most eloquent aspect is represented by the double DD. Allegro's sound would seem to come more from the front end. The image of the instrumentalists therefore appears to be in a space "in front" of you rather than 360°. Going forward in listening, Allegro turns out to be a fairly flexible IEM, in the sense that it behaves quite well and easily with all musical genres. This detail is by no means negligible. The sono " change in sound occurs when the cable varies.
I tested Allegro with LPGT Ti and LP6 Ti. So only with music on micro card.

The cables: All three (copper, hybrid and silver) I must say very well built and aesthetically attractive. Excellent workmanship and also pleasant to the touch. Not heavy or bulky like other cables, but above all really good sounding. Obviously I tried all 3 with Allegro and opted for the silver cable, both with LPGT Ti and LP6 Ti. But here the choice of cable becomes very, very subjective, and has many variables, such as Dap, genre of music listened to and (obviously) listening pleasure. Each of us has different tastes and therefore opts for different choices. However, the thing that I find very interesting is that Allegro with each of these 3 cables sounds different, basically maintaining its basic characteristics. But Allegro seems to be sensitive to Plussound cables. Perhaps (and I just say perhaps) the Allegro project was born precisely by virtue of the technical measurements of the Plussound designers. Rarely have I heard an iem change so pleasantly and always with different characteristics. I then tried the 3 Plussound cables on the Traillii, but I didn't get even half of the positive response I heard on the Allegro. Or perhaps it is Traillii that is particularly reluctant to change the sound, which corresponds to the change of cables.

PS Hybrid : The mid-bass seems to be quite powerful and detailed. The bass performs similar to the Copper, but with an extra edge of sheen. The highs are never intrusive and the medium high with the Hybrid cable is somewhat in the foreground compared to the medium high of the Copper, which in turn is however slightly sweeter.

PS Copper : Classic copper sound. Enveloping, full, with a particular reference to the low and sub-bass range. An influence is also perceived throughout the midrange band.

PS Silver : My favorite cable. Deep low end (a little less than Copper) but the mid range sounds louder and clearer. It seems to open up even a little bit more as a whole. Accurate and detailed.

1.jpg

Timbre: I have the precise perception that the Timbre of Allegro can change slightly, depending on the choice of cable and the tips to match. Overall I noticed a "light" musical weight of the notes on the mid/high and high range. Let me explain: For some, the body of the high range may not be enough, which overall is qualitative but with a body not on the same level as the low range and the same medium range. As I repeat, overall everything is very balanced. The high range at this point acquires panache and impact with the silver Plussound cable, which gives the sound that "jerk" on the highs, which otherwise some might find ineffective. A factor which, on the other hand, turns out to be very expressive and appropriate in the low range, where the notes take on truly respectable weight and dimension.
Allegro (at least with LPGT Ti and LP6 Ti) can be driven easily and without much effort, having an impedance of 10 Ohm by itself. Both the double DD and the Ests do not denote a particular energy absorption.

5.png

Bass: Excellent, perhaps to be a double DD I would have expected a not so louder thud (because the Allegro bass still has its weight), but in terms of depth I would have expected it to go lower. However, it should be added that the Allegro bass is very clean, clear-cut and qualitative. It never bleeds in the mid-low range and leaves enough room for pleasantness, even in pieces of music where the low range is more intense. In my opinion it doesn't differ much from XE6 (I did a very quick comparison). The low end of the XE6 feels deeper, but at the same time I find the low end to be more balanced across the sonic spectrum than the Allegro. A really clean low range, with a strong impact but not an absolute "bass head". Or at least with LPGT Ti (with a fairly neutral sound) I had this sensation, while with LP6 Ti the low range was more intense, harmonious, with more warmth. More intimate and perhaps even more pleasant than that found with the LPGT Ti. Like a winter evening in front of a fireplace at twilight. enveloping….

Medium: In my opinion, the medium range is the most attractive detail of the whole iem. Warm without ever losing character or detail and not even the right liveliness. Excellent body. Neither soft nor hard. Correct I would say. The weight of the notes is very pleasant. You can perceive very very realistic and unsweetened colors and shades. On a technical level, I find it well above the average for an IEM in that price sector. The synergy with the medium-low and medium-high range is excellent, with a slight wink towards the medium-high range. Which in any case never invades the high range, which I'll get to shortly.
High: And let's get to the point that cost half a star in my overall rating: As I have already written….I notice a very slight emphasis in the mid-high region, which, as I emphasize, does not affect the high range itself. Compared to the beauty and perfect (dare I say) balance of the midrange, the treble appears slightly brilliant in its complexity. With electronic music, and with modern jazz, this slight brilliance in the high range (which I would not define as "harshness") is even pleasant, giving a bit of verve to the sound, but overall it unbalances upwards that perfect balance which my humble opinion is the real strong point of Allegro.

3.png

High: And let's get to the point that cost half a star in my overall rating: As I have already written….I notice a very slight emphasis in the mid-high region, which, as I emphasize, does not affect the high range itself. Compared to the beauty and perfect (dare I say) balance of the midrange, the treble appears slightly brilliant in its complexity. With electronic music, and with modern jazz, this slight brilliance in the high range (which I would not define as "harshness") is even pleasant, giving a bit of verve to the sound, but overall it unbalances upwards that perfect balance which my humble opinion is the real strong point of Allegro.

Conclusion :
Allegro was a real surprise for me. I didn't think that a brand specialized in making cables could succeed (and so damn well) in the development and engineering of an IEM. Balance, body, dynamics, musicality, there really is everything in this hybrid. The bass is also excellent, which I am unable to define in relation to other iems with a double DD as it is the first iem with this type of construction that I hear. But apart from that, I think Allegro can be included in that group of TOTLs, indeed in that small circle of TOTLs, which really seem to lack nothing or almost nothing……….

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 40
Thanks @PLUSSOUND and @Sebastien Chiu for this opportunity to had Allegro and new PlusSound cables line up on loan!
Since I love my TriHybrid with many iems and Copper+ with Aroma Ace I was very curious to try Silver+ and Hybrid+ too.

Let’s start my short impressions from Allegro that I mainly used it with Hybrid+

I really liked the leather case, premium materials and very useful design helps to keep IEM and cable safe avoiding to twist your precious “pythons” ☺️

CDC707B3-B7C0-4A85-B842-3E878D700A83.jpeg
FF0CF85C-B0BD-4394-BB53-80605CA99262.jpeg

This IEM from first listening showed its technical abilities, great bass presence and vivid sound.
I didn’t have any issue to find a good fit but it’s not small so I suggest to medium/large ears, I used larger tips to get a good seal and stock grey tips worked better than many others I tried.

E22F6560-4413-4D1F-AD3A-5B5969F2E397.jpeg5F845A53-3D9F-43A9-9C27-40D9EA57D508.jpeg514B6A47-2690-4C3B-87E7-533E94217D64.jpeg

Bass:
Allegro provide a punchy and fast bass, but fortunately doesn’t come on mids.
I like how allegro dig on bass, more than enough for my preferences and every kind of music I tested it.
I got the best bass performance with AMP14

Mids:
Transparency and musicality at the same time?Yes you can have it when you find the best match with your source, I enjoyed mids provided by AMP14 on DX320X more than the brighter AMP11.2s
I recently got N7 but it’s still unburned so I can’t easily say if would be better than AMP14 and depends a lot on music.
I liked N7 mids a lot when music isn’t aggressive.

Warm sources as RU6 can match very well with Allegro OFC.
Upper mids with bright source can be sometimes fatiguing to my ears.
I liked allegro with female voices more than male voices even if nutube amp helped a lot male voices to shine and obtain a great tonality.

Highs:
I liked highs because are resolving, but still natural and with a great amount of body.
Nothing wrong here.

Stage and imaging:
With almost every source I tested it I liked imaging and stage above all with Cayin sources.
Isn’t the most easy to drive iem but a RU6 can be more than enough if you push a bit on volume, plus it has a great matching with Allegro providing a good depth and width.
Anyway N7 is a step forward RU6 on technical abilities.

Cables:
My favorite cable of the bunch with Allegro is Hybrid+ that keeps the best from Copper+ and Silver+, but I really like Silver+ too.

AC0B6BCF-0800-4626-96DF-3DB36D0CF16C.jpeg

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #25 of 40

First and foremost
I don’t consider myself a reviewer in the same class as Twister6, Deezel177, Marcus or others out there who I follow and respect greatly, but just someone who enjoys audio *hence my handle" and has been around the block a few times with Home and Personal audio, and likes to share information so hence my comment of this being a “write up”. And please note what I write below is "My Opinion" which together with a buck might get you a cup of coffee, having said this please read on if you like

Pros:
Fit and Finish
Does NOT require lots of power to drive properly, and responds well to more power.

Cons:
Responding well to tuning via cables and tips means lots of trial and error to get to best sound which some may not want to do.
Shorter Sound Tubes with larger overall size might not be comfortable for all users

Thanks to Christian at PlusSound and Sebastian Chu for arranging this tour for the Allegro IEM
Typical of Christian’s work with PlusSound cables and his attention to detail of how subtle changes in materials and formats make a huge change in sound it is no wonder the Allegro’s are no different, and the sound quality is what you expect from a company that has established itself as a premier sound provider.
I went into this tour not knowing what to expect, for a first time entry into the higher end IEM market, and was VERY pleasantly surprised that there is no need to wait for version 2 of the Allegro to get great sound.

Unboxing Experience
The unboxing experience was as premium of an experience one would expect from a company having been around for 10+ years In this industry
Included is PlusSound’s zippered leather case and leather IEM stand insert that not only holds the IEM but allows the cable to be attached and wound tangle free and stood up to be displayed.
Additionally tools and accessories worthy of a TOTL IEM are included (Microfiber cloth, cleaning brush, and a leather cable strap )
For the tour also included on top of the standard Copper+ EXO PlusSound cable, testers were PlusSound’s Silver+ and Hybrid+ cables along with the new Bluetooth C wireless adapter using PlusSound’s Copper cabling

Exterior and Build
The Allegro’s utilize beautifully CNC machined aluminum alloy bodies, with a copper Anodized mutli-angled front, and a diamond like faceted black anodized back, making these very attractive. They feel solid in hand are not to heavy and comfortable in my ears (YMMV)
The vertical vent slot for the dual dynamic drivers blends away with the overall look, and I had to really look for the vent, expecting the usual hole or port. Nicely done.
The Allegros are an IEM on the larger size, as it is hiding inside the 12 drivers (Twin 10mm Dynamic Drivers for the bass, 6 Balanced Armature Drivers for the Mids and 4 Electrostatic Drivers for the Highs/Super Highs) and the PlusSound silver wiring connecting them all internally
The result is a very clear and crisp sound with no odd artifacts or to my ears no odd harmonics.

Sound
The Allegro’s have a very wide soundstage that with the standard Copper+ cable is wider to me than deep but still provides a nice amount of depth and height. It has a very holographic sound stage with lots of layering. Instruments and performers seem to be in their own space on stage, and depending on cable choice you can tune that also. Clarity of voices and instruments are excellent and all seem to work together nicely with no perceived gaps.
To that end, EVERYTHING about the sound can be tuned and the Allegro’s respond to the smallest changes, which is both good and well challenging.
For the Cables, the normal Copper+ give the Allegro’s a warmer tone, with a slightly laid back midrange and clear and accurate highs, but for some this might be overly warm, especially if using an amp/dac combo that can be set to Class A. It has a nice Analog sound to it using the Copper+ regardless of Class A or Class AB amplification being used
Using the Silver+, things brighten up quite a bit, and the bass overall moves more towards the upper bass range, but still has sub bass rumble, but a little less than the Copper+
While using the Silver+ the highs were never sibilant or piercing to me, this combination was a little fatiguing, being a little high mid forward and felt to me IMO a little less balanced. I can see for sources that require this kind of pace it might be a good match. To be cliché it was more digital in its sound signature
My favorite of the 3 cables was the Hybrid+ which kept much of the warmth and analog tone and low bass impact of the Copper+ and seemed to balance the faster brighter highs of the Silver+. The mids were a little less forward, and the overall balance and clarity to me was perfect
Changing from Class A amplification to Class AB allowed additional fine tuning of the source material and allowed the Allegro’s to really show its stuff regardless of which cable was being used.
My favorite cable from PlusSound is their X8 Palladium Platted Hybrid (PPH, an combination of Palladium Platted OCC Copper and OCC Silver), and I was able to pair this cable with the Allegro’s and was not disappointed, and its no wonder I probably leaned towards the Hybrid+’s sound signature. With the PPH cable the soundstage was even wider and the depth also increased but while it was close (really close) I do have to give the Hybrid+ a nod for being slightly more accurate in the highs but the PPH to me was just a little more musical.

Ear Tips
Be warned the Allegro’s are probably the most sensitive to tip type and size of ANY IEM I’ve used to date including some extended time with the Triallii, and some auditioning I’ve done with the latest TOTL / Near TOTL IEM’s like the Noble Kublai Khan and the EE Odin. (Unfortunately I did not have these on hand at the same time as the Allegro so don’t think its fair to do a head to head comparison from memory, just commenting on these IEM’s were a little less sensitive to tip selection)
While I normally don’t use silicon tips, the provided silicon tips for my smaller ear canals were the most comfortable, but also felt the least stable (just felt that way, the Allegro’s never fell out or broke the seal for diminished bass). The silicon tips also had the effect of making the bass sound less accurate and the highs suffered some veiling. The Allegro’s became to me VERY mid forward, almost to the point of sound like FM broadcast
I normally like foam eartips for their isolation and comfort, as well as assist with bass, but not sure if the smaller bore on the supplied Comply Foam tips or they just absorbed up the sound, but the Comply Foam tips just completely killed the bass for me, and well were not that comfortable
Not comfortable at all, and just really for me killed the accuracy and soundstage
Luckily I always keep a selection of foam, hybrid and silicon ear tips for testing.
To cut to the chase for me, the best sound came from the Azla Crystal tips which is silicon like polymer ear tip that molds to your ear and has a very solid rigid and large bore/core. Even over their usually higher rated Xlastic Ear tips. Was NOT expecting this at all.
These really did allow the Allegro’s to shine, and going through all the cables, time and time again this is the tips I kept coming back to, but this is all to my ears and IMO, so please try your favorites as YMMV.

Testing Environment
Might be good to mention at this point since I’ve mentioned moving from Class A to Class AB amp, my testing was done on several sources
The Cayin N8ii, the Lotoo PAW 6000, both standalone and also going through a Cayin C9 amp, placing both DAP’s into Pre-Out mode taking the amplification circuit out of mix.
With the N8ii and C9 I tried both Class A and AB amplification, as well as Solid State and Tubes mode.
The greater power from the C9 didn’t affect the Allergo’s as much as I thought it might. Also on both the C9 and N8ii, High Gain to Low gain (for the C9) and High Gain to Med Gain didn’t change the sound as much as tip tunning did. For the N8ii P/P+ did make a difference but for me P+ was not as pleasant to listen to then P was
For most of my critical listening, I used the N8ii in Tubes/P/Med Gain and found the Allegro’s to respond quite nicely to these settings, providing a nice balance of analog type sound to digital speed and warmth to clarity/accuracy.
Source files were a mix of 16 and 24 Bit FLAC files and high variable bit rate (VBR) MP3 files.
Also some higher end streaming HD/HD+ files from Amazon Music going through the computer into the C9 or from the N8ii direct.
Jazz (Classic and Modern) Classic to 80’s rock, Classical music were the genres used

TWS-C Wireless
I also tested the provided PlusSound Wireless C adapter, and found it easy to use and pair and close to the sound of direct wired connections. With PlusSounds ability to spec cable choices this too will allow a buyer to tune the Allegro’s to be what they want in an wireless format.

Summary
If your looking for an IEM that has clarity and excellent staging, are easy to drive, responds favorably to any and all HW you throw at it, and allow you have a blank canvas from which you can experiment with changes to your hearts content (and do not mind doing so) these will be a great addition to your collection.
I’d place the Allegro’s on par with any of the higher end IEM’s I’ve auditioned recently.

Allegro Review is posted HERE

Thanks @PLUSSOUND and @Sebastien Chiu for this opportunity to had Allegro and new PlusSound cables line up on loan!
Since I love my TriHybrid with many iems and Copper+ with Aroma Ace I was very curious to try Silver+ and Hybrid+ too.

Let’s start my short impressions from Allegro that I mainly used it with Hybrid+

I really liked the leather case, premium materials and very useful design helps to keep IEM and cable safe avoiding to twist your precious “pythons” ☺️

CDC707B3-B7C0-4A85-B842-3E878D700A83.jpegFF0CF85C-B0BD-4394-BB53-80605CA99262.jpeg

This IEM from first listening showed its technical abilities, great bass presence and vivid sound.
I didn’t have any issue to find a good fit but it’s not small so I suggest to medium/large ears, I used larger tips to get a good seal and stock grey tips worked better than many others I tried.

E22F6560-4413-4D1F-AD3A-5B5969F2E397.jpeg5F845A53-3D9F-43A9-9C27-40D9EA57D508.jpeg514B6A47-2690-4C3B-87E7-533E94217D64.jpeg

Bass:
Allegro provide a punchy and fast bass, but fortunately doesn’t come on mids.
I like how allegro dig on bass, more than enough for my preferences and every kind of music I tested it.
I got the best bass performance with AMP14

Mids:
Transparency and musicality at the same time?Yes you can have it when you find the best match with your source, I enjoyed mids provided by AMP14 on DX320X more than the brighter AMP11.2s
I recently got N7 but it’s still unburned so I can’t easily say if would be better than AMP14 and depends a lot on music.
I liked N7 mids a lot when music isn’t aggressive.

Warm sources as RU6 can match very well with Allegro OFC.
Upper mids with bright source can be sometimes fatiguing to my ears.
I liked allegro with female voices more than male voices even if nutube amp helped a lot male voices to shine and obtain a great tonality.

Highs:
I liked highs because are resolving, but still natural and with a great amount of body.
Nothing wrong here.

Stage and imaging:
With almost every source I tested it I liked imaging and stage above all with Cayin sources.
Isn’t the most easy to drive iem but a RU6 can be more than enough if you push a bit on volume, plus it has a great matching with Allegro providing a good depth and width.
Anyway N7 is a step forward RU6 on technical abilities.

Cables:
My favorite cable of the bunch with Allegro is Hybrid+ that keeps the best from Copper+ and Silver+, but I really like Silver+ too.

AC0B6BCF-0800-4626-96DF-3DB36D0CF16C.jpeg

Thank you so much, everyone!

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #26 of 40
Plussound Allegro review

I just received the Plussound Allegro as part of a tour to try them out, so big thanks to @Sebastien Chiu and @PLUSSOUND. I'm not a reviewer by any means but I thought it would be nice to share my opinion.

The Allegro design is just stunning with the dark bronze polygonal faceplates and stainless steel nozzles. The shells are on the large side and are bit heavier but surprisingly the fit and comfort are quite good for me. I've been using the Radius Deep Mount, Xelastec and Spinfit W1 eartips and have a good seal. The packaging is excellent and the provided cables (Copper+, Silver+ and Hybrid+) are exceptional.

Regarding sound, for me I think it has a very balanced signature that sounds great with any music genre. It's a versatile set but could be very sensitive to eartips and cables.

The Allegro is a balanced, highly resolving and transparent sounding IEM. The bass has good texture and great impact coming from the dual DD. It has the right amount of punch and it's not overpowering the other frequencies.

The mids are warm with very good tonality. My perception is it sounds natural and realistic. Once again balanced. Also the Allegro could sound lively and energetic, especially for vocals but with good clarity. Female vocals sound great. The upper mids are bit more forward but once again in a balanced way. I think the Allegro also shines with separation and layering.

The treble is on the brighter side and I could notice some peaks or boosted brightness. Nonetheless, I would say it's resolving with good definition and control. I would say the treble performance of the Allegro is the more complicated to evaluate because is very sensitive to eartips. My best fit were the Spinfit W1 where I did get a smooth and better treble extension.

Technicalities are pretty good as well with a beautiful staging, good dynamics and layering. It doesn't have a 3D like soundstage but it's very spacious and very accurate.

The tour package comes with 3 cables with all of them having some influence on the Allegro.

Copper+ - typical copper sound signature with emphasis on the lows and deeper sub-bass rumble. The treble is smoother and overall sounds warmer.

Silver+ - this is not a typical silver cable, it has a more analog sound signature. Bigger soundstage and clearer mid-bass impact. There's some treble boost but still organic.

Hybrid+ - probably my favourite cable as you get the best of both copper and silver cables. Overall the sound is more balanced with improved linearity. More sub-bass rumble, refined mids and clarity in the upper mids. The soundstage seems to be bigger.

In conclusion, the Plussound Allegro is a engaging IEM with the right amount of technicalities and musicality. It's very balanced across the spectrum with deep and powerful bass, a beautiful midrange and a highly resolving treble. In has great energy and it's very versatile with different genres of music, but it could well excell with vocals and classical/modern classical. It's expensive but build quality is impeccable, it is bundled with a premium cable and it has TOTL sound signature. Highly recommended.

Testing done with iBasso DX320 with stock AMP and Fiio Q7.

Testing tracklist

Anathema - Endless Ways (The Optimist)
Cave In - Blinded By A Blaze (Heavy Pendulum)
Dead Letter Circus - Say Your Prayers (The Catalyst Fire)
Deftones - Pompeji (Ohms)
Hans Zimmer - Why So Serious? (The Dark Knight)
Karnivool - Change (Sound Awake)
Katatonia - Deliberation (The Great Cold Distance)
Leprous - The Sky Is Red (Live In Berlin 2022)
London Grammar - Hey Now (If You Wait)
Lunatic Soul - A Thousand Shards of Heaven (Fractured)
Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps (Mezzanine)
Max Richter - The New Four Seasons - Vivaldi Recomposed
Meshuggah - Born In Dissonance (The Violent Sleep of Reason)
Naxatras - Waves (Live in Athens)
Porcupine Tree - Even Less (Arriving Somewhere)
Steven Wilson - The Same Asylum As Before (To The Bone)
Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes (The Silicone Veil)
TesseracT - Concealing Fate (PORTALS)
The Black Queen - The End Where We Start (Fever Daydream)
The Contortionist - Reimagined (Clairvoyant)
TOOL - 7empest (Fear Inoculum)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 40
Howdy folks, my review of Plussound Allegro is online on Head-fi and my blog

This review is possible thanks to the Australian tour arranged by @Damz87 and @PLUSSOUND. Thank you!

The first venture of Plussound into the world of IEM is undeniably ambitious, both in terms of driver topology and price. The resulting product, Allegro, lives up to its name by delivering a lively and snappy presentation. Its technical performance is truly impressive. However, Allegro is not without its shortcomings, as it suffers from various minor tuning issues. Moving forward, if Plussound can maintain the exceptional technical performance while addressing these tuning problems, their IEMs have the potential to be truly remarkable.

Pros:

• Excellent resolution and detail retrieval
  • Snappy but not wimpy bass response
  • Excellent at recreating the sense of space in recordings
Cons:

• Too much upper treble around the 12kHz region
  • Tonality can sound uncanny and metallic with some recordings
  • Can reveal distracting recording artefacts
  • Large shells
Who are these IEMs for:

• You value clarity and separation.
  • You want to hear everything in your music.
  • You like the sense of holographic staging in your music.
  • You have larger ears.
allegro_summary.jpg

Jun 24, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 40

First and foremost

Pros:
Fit and Finish

Cons:

Unboxing Experience

Exterior and Build

Sound

Ear Tips

Testing Environment

TWS-C Wireless

Summary

Adding onto my earlier write up. (and writing this while enjoying my personal Allegro's)

With a little commissions disposable income that came my way, went on a "toy" spending spree and picked up a personal set of Allegro's, the Cayin N7, and from that purchase the Cayin RU7 USB-C 1bit DAC dongle, as well as purchased several Eletech Cables I enjoyed listening to at Can Jam So CA , and pitted them against newly acquired Noble Audio Kublai Khans that displaced my till then CIEM JH audio Jolenes, and wanted to add some impressions using these HW and cable sources as well as some extended time with the Allegro's.
Bottom Line, they still do NOT disappoint, and have become my daily drivers.

As always want to state I'm just someone who enjoys audio, and all bellow is IMO, and YMMV

As expected, my personal purchase after being on the tour there was NO difference in build quality, sound (quality and timbre) and want to add through the purchase process Christian as always is pleasure to work with! For anyone thinking what is sent out on tours or to reviewers might be "plants" or "special builds" you can rest assured this is NOT the case with the Allegro's from Plussound. The unboxing experience, build quality was actually better with my purchase than it was with the "Tour" product.

I know burn in, cable rolling and now tip rolling is the source of religion wars here on Head-fi so will lead with this is just my personal opinions and preferences, but I always take a quick listen to get a baseline, then run at least 100 hours of burn in before listening again and compare notes I've made, and time and time again I hear differences.
But as respected person(s) on Head-fi have all written, and I whole heartedly agree with, Burn-in is a preference and taste, and that it's probably a 1%-2% change in sound quality, but ALL of us are here are reading Head-fi or are on Head-fi looking for that small change that the average joe does not care about, so how or if you do burn in is your choice, just as spending 4 digits for a cable, or 5 digits for an amp is your choice also, that many outside of this hobby won't understand and will dismiss as "snake oil" but we here on Head-Fi are reading and seeking. But again this is IMO..,

Back to the Allegro's
Cable Rolling
Burned in, I began cable rolling again using the Plussound PPH X8 as the baseline (my personal favorite on many of the IEM's I own, and a cable I know how it changes the sound and stage) started with the Plussound Hybrid + again, and found no changes from my previous review. Still give a nod to the PPH as it just seems to give me more of that digital accuracy but analog in tone sound signature I enjoy. Its close, but the PPH just carries a little edge in depth and stage width as well as warmth, but the Hybrid+ held a small (almost unnoticeable except on specific tracks) advantage in height. both had similar air and space around the instruments. The vocals though (male or female) were just a little smoother with the PPH.
Next up was the Eletech Socrates 8. Great cable for its price, and for its much lowertech build of materials, is a cable that hits WAY above its price range and build.
It gave the Allegro's a nice warmth, nice and smooth midrange, and decent lows/mid lows. Where it lost out to the PPH was the sub bass, and a little bit on the extension of the highs, but it by no mean was congested or lacking in highs, just A/B'ing I can hear the difference, but by no means a slouch of a cable. I would NOT be disappointed if this were the only cable I used on the Allegro's. I think 60% of this sound sig goes to the Soc 8 but the rest goes to the flexibility of the Allegro's (as this cable just did not sound to great on the Kublai Khan's). But against the PPH, no contest, the sound sig of the PPH kept the Allegro's where I wanted them. While good, it was going up against a great sound the PPH offered.
Next was the Eletech Ode To Laura (OTL), one of Eletech's flagship cables, but with a twist is a an advanced Copper build using different types of Copper and different strand sizes to make up the 22AWG cable size. The OTL is not your typical copper cable, it does much to warm an IEM like copper should (and the reason I purchased it to warm up the Kublai Khan's) but this cable does a excellent job with clearing and extending the highs, and preserve mid presence.
The OTL worked great with the Allegro's and again I'd say the flexibility of the Allegro's makes this combo work. For someone wanting a real Analog sound with lots of warmth and good to excellent highs, this combo works. I have to say I've cable rolled to and from the OTL from the PPH for some tracks, but the nod still goes to the PPH.
The OTL has found its home on the Kublai Khan's where it is helping that IEM to be better than Out of the Box was.
Last up was a borrowed from a fellow Head-fier, Effect Audio Cleopatra II, one of their latest releases, and a cable I wanted to try out.
Having used and owned a Cleo 1, and Leo 2 thought I knew what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised what this cable does. Not your typical "silver" sound sig, much more like mixed material build cables from EA in sound, very broad and open sounding. The Allegro's seemed to be a little brighter, but with no hit to bass/midbass, but this cable does lean more towards an faster attack digital sound, and while accurate and never heading towards unpleasant sibilance sounding highs, they did start to boarder fatiguing for me, so again here the nod to the PPH being smoother sounding yet very accurate to my ears.
The net results from this testing is the Allergo will become what you want it to be and cable rolliing will help you fine tune to the sound sig you are looking for.
For me, my personal choice, its still the Plussound PPH X8 for rock, Jazz or Classical.

Allegro vs. Kublai Khan and JH Audio Jolene (and follow on's to both from the respective manufacturers)
Ok not the best match ups in many eyes, but this is probably in due part to the sound signature I chase, and try to improve on
I've constantly have chased an improvement of one part of an IEM or over the ear headphones that I own vs. what is on the market
While not a bass head, I do enjoy a good bass presence, but I also like very clear and accurate highs which over the years has led to cable rolling to tune, as well as moving to another IEM to give me what I perceive I've missed with my current daily driver.
I've went away from and have come back to several JH Audio models, as they have a great bass presence but at some times at the expense of being overly dark in sound/too heavy in bass signature. The Jolene's were a great balance of bass/mids to high's with is use of DD drivers for sub bass, bass and low mids/mids, and using BA's for mid highs and highs. It was not the typical darker JH House Sound. tuning with cable gave me what I wanted, and well being a CIEM just was more comfortable for cross country and cross Pacific flights. Moving from a Looto Paw Gold Touch to a Cayin N8ii also gave me the range of changes to do additional tuning with the Jolenes that made them my daily drivers for a little over a year. But then I made the mistake of listening to several newer IEM's at Can Jam So CA and well upgraditis strikes, Log story short moved to Noble's Kublai Khan for its VERY clear highs and mids, and decent bass, with the change in high accuracy and clarity swaying me to them as my daily drivers, since this is what I perceived the Jolene's to be missing.
The Kublai Khan's though needed help with the bass (even with the bone conduction driver), and hence the Eletech OTL cable change.
Then came the chance to be on the Allergo Tour, and sorry for the long lead in above, but what the Allegro brings to the table is the best of both IEM's listed above.
The much stronger bass/mid bass presence of the Jolene's, with a great sub bass presence. The Allegro's also offered the great mids and highs of the Kublai Khan's.
Essentially for me it took the best of both and gave it to me in one IEM.
The Allegro's don't trade anything away from the lows that the Jolene's gave me, and definitely offered the extended clear and accurate highs that the Kublai Khans offered me that the Jolene's sometime missed.
I've had VERY limited time with the JH Audio Sharona's which corrected the highs for JH Audio, but I miss the impact the DD drivers gave as the Sharona is an all BA IEM. While not lacking in bass being a typical JH Audio design, something is just pleasing to me with DD drivers for bass.
Similarly I've had really limited time with the Noble Audio Ronin, which is also seems to correct the bass of the Kublai Khan while keeping the highs via electrostatic drivers.
not being able to do extended A/Bing on both and maybe its lack of time or brain burn in, but the Allegro's again just kept coming out ahead.
Again all the above is IMO, and is based on the sound sig I'm chasing so Your Milage May Vary (YMMV)
I may have said this before but the Allegro's offer a great blank canvas from which you can tune to your desired signature with cables and tips (and trust me this is one IEM that is very tip sensitive, your normal "go to" tip may not be what you end with).

Cayin N8ii Vs. N7 Vs. RU7 (or Delta Sigma vs 1bit Resistor DAC)
Just wanted touch on this quickly, as my previous write up concentrated on using the Cayin N8ii.
Cayin has released a line of 1Bit-DAC PCM to all DSD conversion players.
These devices have changed the game and sound for many. For me they offer sound rivaling their TOTL N8ii at lower price points and for the RU7 really changes that add on USB-DAC/AMP market
This is NOT the appropriate place to talk about another manufacturer (doing some write up to post in the appropriate Cayin Forums now)
The N8ii is still the DAP I reach for and the Allegro's respond and make this DAP sound its best, bar none,
The Allegro's really respond and excel when I put the N7 with its 1Bit DAC in LO/Pre-Out mode where I decouple the amp section of the N7 and run it through a Cayin C9 amp n Class A / Tubes mode.
The Allegro's appreciate that extra power (though they do not need it) and tuning this combo gives it, and why I keep the N7 for now as a desktop setup with the C9
Just me speaking but I can see Cayin next offering a follow up to the N8ii as either a N8 or N9 which combines the NuTube tube amp section with the N7's 1 Bit all to DSD section, Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part, but to me that is the next DAP I want and hope they will offer. With the Allegro's it will be close to end game for me.
Again the Allegro's here enable these devices to be their best. Cannot say the same for the other IEM's I own which are pickier as to source and power.

Tip Rolling
As noted in my previous write up, these IEM's are VERY sensitive to tip changes.
Since my write up, I've gone out and purchased Spinfit's W1, CP145, and Azla's Sendafit Max.
Baseline is the Azla Crystal for me.
Spinfit W1. Great fit, and they used 2 different medical grade silicon to accommodate larger multidriver IEM's.
they are considered a med bore tip. Comfortable and easy to insert into the ear and onto the Allegro's which have a very wide nozzle.
Compared to the Azla Crystal, there is a slight loss of high clarity, and soundstage. While easier to insert into my ear, not what I wanted for the Allegro's. Not the same changes on other IEM's I own, just not right match for me on the Allegro's
Spinfit CP145. Easiest to get onto the Allegro's nozzles, good fit into my ear canal. Slightly smaller bore than the W1's and the reason I think they affect the highs more than the W1's. again not the tip for me for the Allegro's
Nice to have on hand but not the tip I am reaching for, for my other IEM's also
Azla Sednafit Max
Many on these forums on Head-fi are singing the praises of this tip. They are VERY comfortable made out of a softer Silicon and offer a was guard in the bore. A wide bore tip along the lines of Azla's Xlastic and Crystal.
Many talk about how it improves bass and are the tips I use on the Kublai Khan's (along with the OTL cable bring the bass where it needs to be for me)
for the Allegro's easy to fit onto the nozzles, adds the benefit of adding a wax guard, but it doesn't increase bass appreciably for me which is good. However A/Bing some tracks I use for reference where acoustic and electric guitars are used together there is a noticable difference in highs and mid highs, with the advantage going to the Crytal ear tips over the Max. Again this combo for me works on the Kublai Khan's but not the Allegro's
While I still read tip reviews to see the changes in the industry, and trips to the orient give me access to many new tips, for now staying with the Azla Crystal's for the Allegro and can still whole heartedly recommend these for the Allegro's

Again if you have made it this far in my write up, THANK YOU.
Also thank you again to Sebastian for coordinating this tour as it would have been hard to demo's the Allegro's otherwise, and without the tour I would NOT be enjoying them now, and VERY huge THANK YOU to Christian at Plussound for taking the risk and bringing these IEM's to market while making NO compromises. Well done to both of you!

And as always and mentioned in this write up these are my opinions, which with a $1 might get you a cup of coffee, and your milage may vary from what I've found and written!

Allegro PPH N8iii Nt and RU7.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 40
Firstly, thank you to @PLUSSOUND, @Sebastien Chiu, and @Damz87 for making the Australian tour of the PLUSSOUND Allegro possible. I had the pleasure of having these for a week to provide my impressions, all my thoughts are my own and are not influenced at all.

Impressions are based off iPhone 14 Pro Max -> Tidal (music) / YouTube (video) -> dd Hifi Lightning to USB C -> FiiO Q7 -> 4.4mm balanced out -> Allegro. Approx. 20 hours of listening time. Music was my normal multi genre barrage, from Classical, to Pop, to Metal.

Packaging, inclusions, build:

Top notch. The packaging is lovely, included leather case is well built, slightly large, but will keep everything safe. Default cable is a little stiff however while using them I had no issues with it. It also came with some other cables which I tried out, ultimately I enjoyed the stock cable the best however some of the others are nicer to handle. The included Bluetooth adapter was nice and functioned well connected to my iPhone.

The buds are built extremely well in terms of their shells, 2 pin connector was loose and had to handle carefully. Once they were in my ears no issues. Included tips were Silicone and Comply Foam. I tried out the silicone, a variety of my own tips, and finally the comply foam. Comply foam was the most enjoyable. The buds are on the larger side, and while they sit OK in my ears with silicone tips I found that over time they were starting to slip out. The foam tips gripped my ears and I could listen for extended periods without having to reseat. As all ears are different YMMV.

Soundstage, imaging, detail:

I think it has an accurate soundstage, it isn't crazy large and feels right. Some equipment has an unnatural feel, not the case here. Imaging again feels accurate, I could easily identify where an instrument was, and while listening to some videos could easily track moving sounds. There isn't a lot of depth, or 3D imaging, to my ears, most of the movement and placement is on a 2D plane. Detail retrieval is close to top tier, instrument separation is excellent.

Objective sound

Lows:

Slightly boosted, clean, fast, precise. Lacking a little body/depth to some notes particularly in the sub bass region.

Mids:

Clean, accurate. Mids are presented wonderfully, a slight touch away from neutral (towards warm), in a somewhat safe way. Female vocals are lovely, male vocals are fine but not on the same level, this is evident when listening to collaborations as the female vocal will pop, with the male vocal falling back into the mix a little. Nitpicky, but it's a TOTL IEM, so everything is nitpicky really!

Highs:

The highs are fine, overall lacking a little energy from what I generally like. Very sensitive to the tips / fit. I had very different experiences while I found my way to the Comply Foams, if something sounds really off I'd play around with tips first.

Subjective sound:

This is where I've struggled with this IEM, while breaking everything down objectively there isn't anything wrong, I never really connected with the overall sound of them on an emotional level. The whole presentation, while ticking TOTL boxes, is a safe one, so doesn't excel in any area for me. Some female vocal focused tracks were very nice, along with some instrument tracks. My wife spent some time with them and really loved them, she hasn't spent anywhere near the amount of time with IEMs and headphones that I have, so I think there is something in that and leads me to my conclusion.

Overall:

An interesting IEM for me, there is no doubt that it's worthy of it's TOTL tag, and will absolutely suit someone looking to enter the price bracket and experience what a TOTL IEM is. It plays it safe, nothing sounds bad on these, far from it, but for someone with a few TOTL IEM's I think you'd want to have a listen before purchasing to see if they suit what you're after. I've given up on a 'one IEM' for me, I don't think it's possible to get the best of everything from one piece of equipment, however if you do want a single TOTL IEM, or are entering the TOTL world, this would absolutely be worth a listen as it really is great, just not for me.

Jul 4, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #30 of 40
Firstly, thank you to @PLUSSOUND, @Sebastien Chiu, and @Damz87 for making the Australian tour of the PLUSSOUND Allegro possible. I had the pleasure of having these for a week to provide my impressions, all my thoughts are my own and are not influenced at all.

Impressions are based off iPhone 14 Pro Max -> Tidal (music) / YouTube (video) -> dd Hifi Lightning to USB C -> FiiO Q7 -> 4.4mm balanced out -> Allegro. Approx. 20 hours of listening time. Music was my normal multi genre barrage, from Classical, to Pop, to Metal.

Packaging, inclusions, build:

Top notch. The packaging is lovely, included leather case is well built, slightly large, but will keep everything safe. Default cable is a little stiff however while using them I had no issues with it. It also came with some other cables which I tried out, ultimately I enjoyed the stock cable the best however some of the others are nicer to handle. The included Bluetooth adapter was nice and functioned well connected to my iPhone.

The buds are built extremely well in terms of their shells, 2 pin connector was loose and had to handle carefully. Once they were in my ears no issues. Included tips were Silicone and Comply Foam. I tried out the silicone, a variety of my own tips, and finally the comply foam. Comply foam was the most enjoyable. The buds are on the larger side, and while they sit OK in my ears with silicone tips I found that over time they were starting to slip out. The foam tips gripped my ears and I could listen for extended periods without having to reseat. As all ears are different YMMV.

Soundstage, imaging, detail:

I think it has an accurate soundstage, it isn't crazy large and feels right. Some equipment has an unnatural feel, not the case here. Imaging again feels accurate, I could easily identify where an instrument was, and while listening to some videos could easily track moving sounds. There isn't a lot of depth, or 3D imaging, to my ears, most of the movement and placement is on a 2D plane. Detail retrieval is close to top tier, instrument separation is excellent.

Objective sound

Lows:

Slightly boosted, clean, fast, precise. Lacking a little body/depth to some notes particularly in the sub bass region.

Mids:

Clean, accurate. Mids are presented wonderfully, a slight touch away from neutral (towards warm), in a somewhat safe way. Female vocals are lovely, male vocals are fine but not on the same level, this is evident when listening to collaborations as the female vocal will pop, with the male vocal falling back into the mix a little. Nitpicky, but it's a TOTL IEM, so everything is nitpicky really!

Highs:

The highs are fine, overall lacking a little energy from what I generally like. Very sensitive to the tips / fit. I had very different experiences while I found my way to the Comply Foams, if something sounds really off I'd play around with tips first.

Subjective sound:

This is where I've struggled with this IEM, while breaking everything down objectively there isn't anything wrong, I never really connected with the overall sound of them on an emotional level. The whole presentation, while ticking TOTL boxes, is a safe one, so doesn't excel in any area for me. Some female vocal focused tracks were very nice, along with some instrument tracks. My wife spent some time with them and really loved them, she hasn't spent anywhere near the amount of time with IEMs and headphones that I have, so I think there is something in that and leads me to my conclusion.

Overall:

An interesting IEM for me, there is no doubt that it's worthy of it's TOTL tag, and will absolutely suit someone looking to enter the price bracket and experience what a TOTL IEM is. It plays it safe, nothing sounds bad on these, far from it, but for someone with a few TOTL IEM's I think you'd want to have a listen before purchasing to see if they suit what you're after. I've given up on a 'one IEM' for me, I don't think it's possible to get the best of everything from one piece of equipment, however if you do want a single TOTL IEM, or are entering the TOTL world, this would absolutely be worth a listen as it really is great, just not for me.

Thanks so much for the great write-up, Tom! We appreciate your feedback and this is so hopeful for our next phase of development!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back