Plugs on the SD, Zu Mobius, vs stock cords
Aug 13, 2005 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SHVentus

New Head-Fier
Has anyone had any problems with the plugs on these, or other cords? Are there dissimilar size & fit amongst headphone cord's plugs?

I have a SinglePower Maestro ZR with a Neutrik Locking Headphone Jack.
The stock cord on my Senn 650 HP's fits & works fine, but the plug (I've heard a Neutrik plug) on my Silver Dragon cord seems to have a small amount of extra play in the jack, resulting in a hiss or scratchy sound through the headphones as the cord & plug rotate in the jack. ? poor contact.

Have others experienced the same? Is this a rare occurence from a defective plug? Any other reasons or explanations? TIA

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHVentus
Has anyone had any problems with the plugs on these, or other cords? Are there dissimilar size & fit amongst headphone cord's plugs?

I have a SinglePower Maestro ZR with a Neutrik Locking Headphone Jack.
The stock cord on my Senn 650 HP's fits & works fine, but the plug (I've heard a Neutrik plug) on my Silver Dragon cord seems to have a small amount of extra play in the jack, resulting in a hiss or scratchy sound through the headphones as the cord & plug rotate in the jack. ? poor contact.

Have others experienced the same? Is this a rare occurence from a defective plug? Any other reasons or explanations? TIA

When we had the last Ohio mini-meet, the recabled dt880 at the meet had that same problem in my Singlepower amp with the neutrik jack. I have had no trouble with my cardas, oehlbach or headphile senn replacement cables in the same amp. My take is certain plugs do have some play and this does cause a problem. Now that I think about it.... a DIY cable I used had this problem but that seemed related to the weight of the plug and the cables heavy covering. That caused the cable to droop breaking connection. You might put something under the plug to support the plug. That worked for me.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 5
I have had many problems with the Silver Dragon , [intermittent right channel] I now use the Zu Mobius. I have had no problems with it and I love what it does for my HD 650's !!!!!!!!

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 5
The Silver Dragon plug (like some DIY plugs) is a bit prone to cause intermittencies and static noise while rotating. A good recipe for preventing this is to apply some contact spray to the plug every now and then.

peacesign.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 5
I made up a Senn cable using a Nuetric 1/4" plug and I had problems with the plug fitting properly in my amp. I've since switched to a G&H plug (Parts Express has them) and the plug fits perfectly in my amp, and to my ears there was also a noticable improvement in sound over the Nuetric plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back