Plugging & Unplugging from Amp ???
Feb 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to (subjectively) test two SS amps: the Little Dot MK V that I bought direct and the lightly used Heed Canamp I just bought from this message board (thanks Alan!).

And, as I plug and unplug my AKG K701s from one amp to the other, my question is:

* Might there be any problem plugging and unplugging a headphone from amps while the amps are "live"...on, with music playing?

I mean, I avoid plugging/unplugging interconnects unless the associated devices are turned off.

But normally, I'd have no problem with plugging/unplugging a headphone, even when the amp is on.

But it's the repeated plugging/unplugging that got me thinking.

Dave, who is good sometimes at worrying about things there's no need to worry about which is one reason he loves music since that tends to calm the worry-side of him

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 8
I've been told to turn the volume to 0 and the remove the HP. Turn new amp also to 0, plug in and then turn up volume.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Turn it down to zero. I just cant recommend doing other wise because I wouldn't want anything to happen to your equipment. It just increases the risk of damaging your headphones and or your amp.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Turning the volume down is the way to go. As for switching amps; unplugging/plugging in a lot; that could cause a lot of extra wear on the jacks and plugs, but nothing major unless done a lot over a long period of time.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 8
The only reason having the volume up bothers me, is the loud thump you get sometimes when plugging in headphones.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Using these steps you should be perfectly safe:
1. Turn down the volume.
2. Unplug the 'phones.
3. Plug in the new 'phones.
4. Turn up the volume.
5. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back