Plugging Grado/Sennheiser in a PS3??
May 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zathan

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm planning to buy a PS3 and install YellowDog Linux on it. I have a huge collection of music in FLAC format. I was wondering if it is possible to plug my Sennheiser HD595 / Grado SR225 in my PS3?? How would I do such a thing?

How about the audio quality? Would it be pretty good? If it's crap I'd rather build a new PC and buy a good quality soundcard (~150$).

May 18, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 8
You could run the audio out of the PS3 into an audio receiver, with a headphone out. If you do it through HDMI, it won't be converted to analog until it's in the receiver.

May 18, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Espire I'm a complete total noob with it comes to audio and whatnot.
I don't even know what is a receiver ahah.

What would you recommend me? Pictures and brand/model is always interesting.
So via HDMI is the best thing or?

May 18, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Espire I'm a complete total noob with it comes to audio and whatnot.
I don't even know what is a receiver ahah.

What would you recommend me? Pictures and brand/model is always interesting.
So via HDMI is the best thing or?

A receiver is something like what you see in the link here. You plug all your audio and video equipment into it, and it routs everything to things like speakers and TVs. You can then switch between all your sources easily. Most receivers have built in amplifiers, and you can plug speakers into them. Almost all have headphone sockets.

The reason that I suggest HDMI is because it is a digital format. When you convert audio between analog and digital, you lose some (usually indistinguishable) quality. By using HDMI, the audio stays digital until the headphone socket of the receiver. However, you really don't need HDMI at all. I'm still rockin' a receiver from 1993, the only digital thing about it is the display. If you're willing to deal with something that old, you can easily get them on Craigslist in your area for under $100.

Regarding sound quality, I have no idea. I'm sure it won't be bad, but for the price of the receiver, I feel that you could buy a DAC for your computer, which would net you better audio quality. Of course, a receiver touts many advantages other than having a headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back