Plugging and unplugging Headphones with the music playing
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Nope, it isn't

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Shouldn't be a problem.  the only problems I ever encountered in this regard was when I ran an OPA637 at too low gain in my PPA and hot swapping cans kicked it into some strange DC oscillation.

Side note... I have seen a lot of members at meets hot swap cans and amps when doing A/B comparisons.  Technically thats the only way to really do it and minimize the psycho-acoustic effects of volume increase/decreases.  The basic idea is that by the time you re-adjust volume levels, the brain has already self-adjusted to the new sound signature and that becomes the reference point for comparison... not the previously heard piece of gear.   Out of respect to other members and their $$$ rigs though, I personally DON'T do A/B comparisons like that.  In my mind, if I have to equal-volume hot swap in order to really hear a sonic difference... its not a significant enough difference for me to concern myself with. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem.  the only problems I ever encountered in this regard was when I ran an OPA637 at too low gain in my PPA and hot swapping cans kicked it into some strange DC oscillation.

That makes sense.  It really depends on your output stage.

Remember that due to the design of 1/8" and 1/4" jacks you'll usually short one of the channels to ground when you plug or unplug headphones.  If you do it quickly they're not shorted for very long, and depending on the output stage it might not be a problem.  If there's short protection in the form of output resistors (pretty rare on a low-end amp) or some kind of cutoff circuit (probably more common on consumer electronics) then it's not as big a deal.  It still might be enough to cause a weird feedback spike, and I wouldn't be surprised if that sent the opamp for a loop.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't think this will harm headphones. I haven't considered it before actually and I merrily plug and unplug headphones while music is playing without a second thought. My Sennheiser HD540s are over 20 years old and sounding great, so they have not been harmed by this I don't think.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Generally it isn't a problem, but most amp manufacturers will still suggest you turn the volume down to 0 before changing headphones out. Not a bad practice to get into.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some years ago, it was drilled into me by the studio guys and techs with whom I was working at the time 
"Before you unplug or plug anything in the system, turn the volume down."

I still think it's good practice when dealing with audio gear.  

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I don't think this will harm headphones. I haven't considered it before actually and I merrily plug and unplug headphones while music is playing without a second thought. My Sennheiser HD540s are over 20 years old and sounding great, so they have not been harmed by this I don't think.

The headphones probably aren't going to mind being shorted to ground.  If the amp had a DC offset or something it could cause a nice pop, but that would be a problem with the amp.  You should still turn it down before you do to make sure there isn't a signal going into the phones, which would cause a strong transient when they short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back