Plug headphones into iFi audio GO link for supercharged sound!
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #331 of 353
What media player are you using? It normally needs to access the GoLink in exclusive mode. For DSD, depending on the player, additional config must be done.
I tried on my Win11 PC with MusicBee and MPC-HC to no avail. On my iPhone 15 I tried via "Vox music player" but it didn't work there either. Didn't know it needed additional config, is there any documentation on what needs to be done to get it all working or any recommended players?

Update: I realized I still have a free trial for TIDAL so I signed up and tried to play some MQA and it changed color. I guess I just need to research how to setup DSD playback properly on my devices. Sorry for the trouble, this device is really cool so far!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #332 of 353
I tried on my Win11 PC with MusicBee and MPC-HC to no avail. On my iPhone 15 I tried via "Vox music player" but it didn't work there either. Didn't know it needed additional config, is there any documentation on what needs to be done to get it all working or any recommended players?

Update: I realized I still have a free trial for TIDAL so I signed up and tried to play some MQA and it changed color. I guess I just need to research how to setup DSD playback properly on my devices. Sorry for the trouble, this device is really cool so far!
MusicBee is a fantastic library/music player but doesn't support native DSD afaik. Try free foobar2000 and search on support the required plugins for native DSD (it works for me). On iPhone, the only app I know supporting DSD (among other formats) is Neutron - there's a trial available I think.

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #333 of 353
MusicBee is a fantastic library/music player but doesn't support native DSD afaik. Try free foobar2000 and search on support the required plugins for native DSD (it works for me). On iPhone, the only app I know supporting DSD (among other formats) is Neutron - there's a trial available I think.
ONKYO HF player as well.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #334 of 353
I use USB Audio Player Pro for several years with Android and it is a great app that supports many DACs natively. It plays DSD 512 just fine and turns the light to magenta. One annoying issue is that it takes the full control over the iFi Link Go and when switching to a different player I need to unplug the unit and plug it in. Otherwise, the volume is too low. But I added a USB Type C to Type A adapter cable and unplugging does not wear out the more fragile Type C connector on my unit or on the phone as Type A is more robust.

Attachments

• 20240308_095827.jpg
    20240308_095827.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #335 of 353
Also using a balanced 2.5mm cable with the 3.5mm TRRS adapter really works well with iFi Link Go and makes the sound a bit more refined and organic. More space added and instrument separation increases too.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #336 of 353
@iFi audio
  1. Will this adapter work with iFi Go Link and balanced headphones?
  2. Will there be a noticeable change (improvement) in sound quality? In other words, is it worth the extra cost and hassle?
cab.jpg

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #337 of 353
I use USB Audio Player Pro for several years with Android and it is a great app that supports many DACs natively. It plays DSD 512 just fine and turns the light to magenta. One annoying issue is that it takes the full control over the iFi Link Go and when switching to a different player I need to unplug the unit and plug it in. Otherwise, the volume is too low. But I added a USB Type C to Type A adapter cable and unplugging does not wear out the more fragile Type C connector on my unit or on the phone as Type A is more robust.
UAPP has an option in settings to free up the exclusive mode (full control...) upon exit. Then you just have to exit the app properly and it will be available for other apps without having to disconnect /connect.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #338 of 353
UAPP has an option in settings to free up the exclusive mode (full control...) upon exit. Then you just have to exit the app properly and it will be available for other apps without having to disconnect /connect.

I tried all the options and nothing works. My iDSD Micro doesn't have that issue and properly releases the control of the USB when exiting the UAPP. No need to unplug.
But Link Go does retain control over USB with my either S23 ultra or S8+ once UAPP is launched and allowed to use DAC. Could be the firmware.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310_101010_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_101010_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #339 of 353
@iFi audio
  2. Will there be a noticeable change (improvement) in sound quality? In other words, is it worth the extra cost and hassle?
cab.jpg
They said no few posts before. I have exactly the same adapter but to balanced 2.5 and unbalanced 3.5.

I have not the one balanced to 3.5 because they said no but i suspect that maube actually is working.

I wanted to test that but then i was too busy and forgot.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #340 of 353
Neutron and Onkyo HF player can not only play native DSD but also covert PCM to DSD but not with a streaming servise. You need to have a itunes library that i have not.

UAPP can upscale PCM with tidal streaming but not convert to DSD (but can play natively DSD).

Audirvana studio can convert tidal streaming to DSD but not from a phone only from PC or MAC.

So unfortunately what i wanted to do i can't do it but since you have a mac you cal also look the Audirvana option.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #341 of 353
@iFi audio
It should work alright. I got a 3.5mm to 2.5mm one by the same brand and it works great.

I would suggest that one instead:

FSIjiangyi 3.5mm Male Stereo to 4.4mm Female Balanced Adapter OFC Silver 8-Strand 19-Core Adapter Cable Suitable for Connecting 3.5mm Jack Audio Player, MP3 Player
https://a.co/d/eJ92Bzd

It has better quality quality wiring. Or just a plain adapter without any wiring.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #342 of 353
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #343 of 353
Hold on a second. Shouldn't the 3,5mm jack be TRRS (4 segments)?

The linked FSIjiangyi 3.5mm Male Stereo to 4.4mm Female Balanced Adapter has a 3 segment 3,5mm jack, so it is not balanced. You can use it, but you lose the S-Balanced benefit (if there is any).
I guess you're right, I didn't notice that the 3.5mm has 3 connections. It must be 4 segments for trrs balanced. Not 100% sure why the description states "balanced" which is confusing.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #345 of 353
…so I see not one, but two new firmware updates have dropped…

IMG_2396.jpeg
Wait, so to update we have to first go to 1.91 then to 1.92? Can't go straight to 1.92? Weird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back