Plug headphones into iFi audio GO link for supercharged sound!
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #196 of 356
Well, I now know a lot more about the internet connection at my work than I did yesterday. Thanks for posting :)
EDIT: My Go Link has still been going and linking quite nicely on FW1.80, managed to lose my IEMatch though so I've only really been using it with my phone since the update.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #197 of 356
Here I am :darthsmile: .. another happy listener of what ifi was able to put together in a small box like the Go Link. I'm not a audiophile reviewer but here are my pros, cons and some recommendations to improve it:

Pros:
- Clear sound!!!
- Well-balanced sound output with a good soundstage and instrument separation.
- High-built quality, metal case, and good quality components.
- Decent price - $89 cad + tax, on Amazon Canada.
- Very small and light, really feels like a dongle and not an actual DAC + AMP.
- Powerful enough to drive all my headphones: Shure SE535, Audiofly AF180 Mk2, and the large Audeze LCD 3.
- Comes with all adapters you need - including Lighting and the full-size USB-A.
- Firmware that can be updated - very important to improve over time.
- Despite having a large USB-C plug, it fits well with all my phone cases - I was worried about this until it arrived today.
- Large USB-C makes it easy to plug or unplug it.
- Cool ifi logo sticker - Thank you! :darthsmile:

Cons:

- No Microphone Pass-Trough. I have to take my phone out to answer calls.
- The cable between the USB-c plug and the actual DAC/amp is very thin, and feels very low quality - see photos compared with my headphones cables.
- The USB-C plug is huge, it better have a small board in it for that size :p
- The LED Light is too bright - can I turn it off? :thinking:
- The included manual has a font so small that I had a hard time reading it even with a magnifier - in fact, I looked for the pdf version which I couldn't find online :ok_woman: .
- In the box there's a paper "Note for Charging - where applicable" - Does this device has a battery? Is it applicable to the Go Link or not? - I'm confused!
- The Volume Control is not the same across apps, devices, and platforms. On my Pixel 7 Pro, on YouTube, a decent volume is at about 60% of the volume bar. The same phone, the Neutron Music Player has the same audio output at about 10% of the volume bar. But on Windows 10 the same volume I get at about 30%. On top of everything the first start had the volume at about 70% - which I found way too loud, luckily headphones were on the table and didn't burn. :scream:
- Updating the firmware is somehow confusing. The attached pdf doesn't guide you on how to install the firmware, or how to find what firmware is your device at, but how to install apps if the system doesn't allow 3rd party apps to be installed.
- No mobile App, to easily adjust a Master Volume, set a safe maximum as well to update the firmware, or check the device's current firmware version.
- Firmware Update PDF document doesn't include what's new in the update.
- Firmware Updates are available only for Windows users, even if this device is built with Mobile users in mind.

Recommendations for ifi Go Link 2:
- Detachable cable - so it can be replaced if the USB-c plug goes bad.
- If not detachable, the cable should be thick, even wire breaded to make it last longer - it will be sad to throw it away because of a broken cable or usb-c plug, it feels flimsy and cheap made.
- Make the LED turn off after 5 seconds. Turn it on again for another 5 sec if the user changes the volume. It doesn't have to stay lit in my pocket for 7h
- The included manual to have a QR Code link for the Digital PDF manual - easy to zoom in without glasses on my phone :wink:
- Update the manual, on the box or in the included pamphlet the LED color meaning and how to change them.
- Move the Firmware Update through a Mobile App - you build this device for Smartphone users, not Windows users!
- The same Mobile App offers some settings like an option to set an output safe limit, apply filters, an Eq may be nice, or other cool stats and options.

--------

Will use it more and come back with new thoughts about it. Thank you ifi for this amazing device, I enjoy listening to it!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_233056.jpg
    IMG_20230323_233056.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230323_233135_2.jpg
    IMG_20230323_233135_2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230323_233435_2.jpg
    IMG_20230323_233435_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #199 of 356
Cons:
- The cable between the usb-c plug and the actual dac/amp is very thin, and feel very low quality - see photos compared with my headphones cables.
I’ve got an iFi USBC OTG cable which does have a thicker cable than the iFi Go link, but I prefer the one on the Go Link as it can bend to fit more easily into tight spaces like a pocket than the OTG one. I’m not sure that thinner always means a lesser sound quality, or whether it is more easily broken either.

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #200 of 356
Hey @andrewwardell - it was sad to see Audiofly going down, in months after getting my iem's from them. Which are very nice for the price tag they had. Well balanced and nice built with very neat accessories. But that's a book I still think about, even if is no longer available in stores. Of course they deserve some love... :relieved:
@rdale, I agree, ifi has great cables on simple usb adapters, so not sure why they decide to ignore the quality of cables used in their little DAC's like the Go Link. The OTG has a beautiful and sturdy cable from what I can see on the internet, but that won't matter if my Go Link will "pass away" from a broken wire... Hope ifi is just listening to us and the 2nd version of their Go Link will be a better built - we need those adapters, especially with more and more smartphones ditching their 3.5mm audio jacks... :headphones:
Quality, not quantity...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #201 of 356
Not agree about the complains about the built quality of Go Link. Owning the DC03 Pro with two detechable cables (usb-c and lightning versions) in any case is better, for me, on the contrary, better handling with Go Link.

At this price point, I can't imagine a better build for the Link, maybe a detachable cable? a thicker cable for a better perception of sturdiness? but we can't expect the quality of his OTG cables all incluided for 59€.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #202 of 356
but we can't expect the quality of his OTG cables all incluided for 59€
I respect the design decisions of iFi for their product, but I also see a trend toward replaceable in affordable dongle DACs, so I don't fully understand why they wouldn't follow the trend. As for the cost of the OTG cables, like so many other things it's economy of scale and market forces. If they did include an OTG cable (which might retail for $10 - $15 USD), the actual cost of that cable is probably less than $1 USD to manufacture, so they could include it rather easily, if they wanted.

In any case, I'm sure this DAC sounds amazing (love my Zen stack), and I look forward to other portable iFi products in the future. :thumbsup:

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #203 of 356
That's is also true... As I wasn't complaining about the cable as much I was just pointing out that it could have been better quality. It's very short, and shouldn't be expensive to upgrade, as is, it feels that it won't last long. Again, this mention is about the cable only, the rest of the body is metal, very nice built, even if it may scratch phone's screen if not fit properly in your pocket...
Few days in with my ifi Go Link, and I enjoy it more and more, I hook it with my MacBook Pro, an old Huawei P30, and the last year's Pixel 6 Pro. Still, the volume is very different from device to device, or app to app...

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #205 of 356
Finally! Firmware version 1.8 of iFi Go Link works with MQA music using TIDAL Android app! LED turns magenta color when playing MASTER quality songs. Thanks the iFi support team for attending our requests! Thank you. Excellent sounding DAC!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #206 of 356
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #207 of 356
Finally! Firmware version 1.8 of iFi Go Link works with MQA music using TIDAL Android app! LED turns magenta color when playing MASTER quality songs. Thanks the iFi support team for attending our requests! Thank you. Excellent sounding DAC!
Glad it's working for you, and enjoy!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #208 of 356
I use Deezer for music streaming and they do have Flac quality music, but not sure if is MQA - Which is sad to see that they are in trouble. :frowning2:
I wonder if the iFi Go Link encode Hi-Res only through MQA - Tidal or they do offer Hi-Res with local Flac songs or other Hi-Res music services as well. Do you know?

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #209 of 356
I use Deezer for music streaming and they do have Flac quality music, but not sure if is MQA - Which is sad to see that they are in trouble. :frowning2:
I wonder if the iFi Go Link encode Hi-Res only through MQA - Tidal or they do offer Hi-Res with local Flac songs or other Hi-Res music services as well. Do you know?
It plays hi res with Apple music just fine. The colour turns yellow immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back