Plug headphones into iFi audio GO link for supercharged sound!
Feb 22, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #136 of 356
I wasn't aware that it was actually switching. It might be just that I'm using 5-Ohm IEMs with it but it feels like the Go Link always putting out one gain level, hence putting the IEMatch in the signal path after it so I have some room to adjust the volume. On my phone I have... maybe 5 clicks of adjustment above 0V without the IEMatch in place before it's blowing my ears out, but with my iPad and my computers that setup is a no-go without the IEMatch in-line. 🤯

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #137 of 356
Spent about 20min with these, the Andromeda and the Z1R and I think there is great potencial. Had some issues with mobile software initially (Samsung S22U, Android 13, OneUI 5.1) but when I got them well paired the results were surprising.

Considering that and the low price, I'll definitely be testing them with more gear the coming days to see if they consistently deliver. Also curious if an HD800 or other higher impedance cans will sound OK.

Side note, I've had a USB iDSD BlackLabel for years (still have it) and except for some channel imbalance at very low volume it never disappointed. This Go Link sounds great at 1/10 of the price... Chipsets have been improving nicely.

Then again, it was just a short listen.

20230221_152132.jpg

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #138 of 356
Spent about 20min with these, the Andromeda and the Z1R and I think there is great potencial. Had some issues with mobile software initially (Samsung S22U, Android 13, OneUI 5.1) but when I got them well paired the results were surprising.

Considering that and the low price, I'll definitely be testing them with more gear the coming days to see if they consistently deliver. Also curious if an HD800 or other higher impedance cans will sound OK.

Side note, I've had a USB iDSD BlackLabel for years (still have it) and except for some channel imbalance at very low volume it never disappointed. This Go Link sounds great at 1/10 of the price... Chipsets have been improving nicely.

Then again, it was just a short listen.

I'm using CA Mammoths with mine, how much volume do need to put into the Andromedas to drive them sufficiently with that setup?

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #139 of 356
I'm using CA Mammoths with mine, how much volume do need to put into the Andromedas to drive them sufficiently with that setup?

Andros have 12.8 Ohms @ 1kHz impedance, all they need is a breeze. Volume level granularity is even a bit annoying on Android by default as the difference between two levels is considerable. Some apps allow increasing granularity tho. Mammoths shouldn't be all that different at 8.1 Ohms @ 1kHz, both are pretty sensitive.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #140 of 356
I've got this on my wish list right now and I'll probably pull the trigger once I find an affordable decent IEM that I want to use with my phone. I'll probably get a right-angle USB-C adapter with a slim profile on the male connector so I don't have to worry about my phone case(s) getting in the way.

@iFi audio - I'm curious why you went with such a "block" design instead of a slim oval design for the USB-C connector? In fact, I wonder why you decided to have the permanent male USB connector at all instead of a USB-C female connector on the unit itself? The latter would have allowed for people to use their preferred USB-C cable, and replace it easily if / when needed. Just curious as to the engineering decisions that went into this design.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #141 of 356
The latter would have allowed for people to use their preferred USB-C cable,

....or a USB-C - Lightning cable with their iPhones (there are a few units around*)

Even if it meant a slightly larger unit, the flexibility would be welcome.

*) 225 million units sold in 2022.

Feb 28, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #142 of 356
https://sdgtent.sdgtstudio.com/2023/02/ifi-go-link-hi-res-usb-dac-headphone.html

Nice to see the GO link being reviewed outside our usual channels. Snappy and upbeat review of the GO link by SDGT.

" In regards to the sound, some of you may look at this device and think "whatever"... it's not going to do much until you actually plug it in. The difference is night and day..."

""Is it worth this price? Is water wet? Of course, this is a hi-res headphone amp that you can slip into your pocket or your favorite bag so that you always have access to quality audio (that's the best part about this). It's a #1 New Release for a reason. It's fire!"

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #143 of 356
In my world, needing to drive the sennheiser 58X, I much prefer it to the dc03 pro.

It has this energy that sabre dac chips can give without crossing this line of aggressiveness that sometimes the fiio products do.
what about for iem exclusively are they similar sounding or is there one edging soncially the other (no taking specs in consideration only sound quality as dc03 pro has the useful extra features of hardware volume buttons and detachable usb cable ) ? thanks

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #144 of 356
does anyone know when it switched to 2v power? <50ohm?
you can try the 3.5mm jack extender cable trick :
connect first a 3.5mm audio jack extender (male 3.5mm /female 3.5mm),
dac will see a jack plug in its female connector but detect infinite impedance (open cable= null resitance ) and switch to 2v,
then you plug the headphone in the extender

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #145 of 356
Same here with the iFi Go Link. I've tried it with my LG V30, V40, V50 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, S21+, and Google Pixel 7 Pro. None of them could get the iFi Go Link to render MQA properly. However, the dongle does render properly MQA on all those device when using USB Audio Player Pro. I find it a bit puzzling considering the native Tidal app MQA works perfectly paired with my iFi Hip DAC 2.
for iem usage exclusively are go link and hip dac 2 similar sounding or is hip dac 2 a noticeable step ahead (considering sound quality only )? thanks

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #146 of 356
what about for iem exclusively are they similar sounding or is there one edging soncially the other (no taking specs in consideration only sound quality as dc03 pro has the useful extra features of hardware volume buttons and detachable usb cable ) ? thanks
The dc03 is a hit or miss. With my Samsung phones and without usb pro the sound is somewhere lost in the android process...sometimes I feel no big difference even with my headphone jack.

On the iPhone with original iPhone usb 3.0 adapter is another story the ibasso takes the whole process and it sounds really good. The volume buttons of the iPhone cannot be used anymore and everything is controlled by the volume buttons of the dc03. The same happens exactly with the ifi xdsd. In iPhone everything is taken care from the volume knob.

If you really need volume buttons you need to take a device with buttons.

The go link from the other side is the best all arounder of a dongle. Let's say the Magic Johnson of dongles. Sometimes can play even center but being a play maker.

The sound has this energy that overcomes even the android crapiness and limitations and the s-balanced gives that extra push and spaciousness to difficult to drive headphones like 58x.

OK, I am sorry I delayed my review but as I got received my 660s today and I want to repeat everything with that headphone before I write my final review.

In any case, I did not change my mind for 59£ this is an absolute no-brainer, an instant buy even if you consider buying another dongle.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #149 of 356
@iFi audio - A question about the S-Balanced feature of the 3.5mm connection. What are all of the technical differences when you use a TRRS jack vs. a TRS jack? Please provide as many details as you can, thanks!

Also, can anyone recommend a quality 3.5 TRRS to 4.4 pentaconn adapter that would work with this 3.5mm output connection?

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #150 of 356
Amazing DAC. Never ceases to surprise me.

Can drive even well my 6XX. I was comparing them with my newly 660s and I start using the unbalanced port of my KA3 that I like very much and it was a no go.

I reverted to go link and I was floored. How this tiny dongle managed to drive the 6xx with such authority is still beyond me...

" The Magic Johnson of DACs"

5 stars.
20230304_165140.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back