Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
Please read rules before posting.

Rules:
1. Only one post per Headfier.
2. 60 word description maximum
3. One picture only
4. No other comments, "x2's" or any other responses

Basically you get to "plug" one artist for whatever reason. Give a brief description (60 words or less) about the artist (individual/band etc.) and why you are "plugging" them. Maybe through this other people can enjoy their music too.

If you're confused read the rules above.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 15
yokoma5.jpg

A Japanese composer who composes for movies, animated features, games as well as solo works and collaborations. She does not believe in “genres” and creates beautiful fusions of modern, classical, electronic, blues… you name it. Her music ranges from experimental to pop. I regard her as one of the most talented composers of our time and well worth a listen.

Oct 27, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 15
52558_lg.jpg

"Marvelously expressive, sensual audio experience painted largely with two pallettes of nearly infinite range - electronic instrumentation, and Imogen's incredible voice:
  1. Her inhales and exhales are an important part of the performance and adds to the sensuality.
  2. Wonderful layering of harmonic and accent tracks.
  3. The rhythms are perfectly timed.
  4. Passionate, erotic, angelic.
And the lyrics are worthy of the sounds."

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Oct 28, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Anthony Braxton

AnthonyBraxton.jpg

The most important composer since Beethoven. He's my reason for struggling with this whole "music" thing - he flipped music theory on top its own head, creating a 40-year continuation of perhaps the most complex and sophisticated body of work ever undertaken by a single composer. He has over 350 compositions to date, all of which can be played by any instrument, any number of people, for any amount of time, all the while allowing for an infinite number of his compositions to be played at the same time.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 15
Soul Coughing

ruby%20vroom.jpg

The above album encompasses everything good in music. It's an extremely fresh and imaginative album filled with fusions of jazz, hip-hop, electronic, and random samples. Not only is it one of my favorite albums of the 90s (IMO), but it totally goes against the punk/grunge/shoegaze etc. trends of the 90s. Essential listening for basically anybody with ears.

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No other comments, "x2's" or any other responses

Seems kind of odd to start a thread on a music discussion board with one of the rules being no discussion. In any case, I'll toss out an old one from Robert Wyatt, who also has a brand new one out there too, but this post is about Rock Bottom. What a beautiful album. Only six songs spread out over a little under forty minutes, but it still seems to take nearly a month of days to absorb. Complex and highly emotional, yet full of breathing space. It was worked out meticulously while Robert Wyatt lay in the hospital after his paralyzing fall - you would think he'd be full of self-pity at the time, but it's more of a love album. Seeing the need to change his career goals and about to get married, it glows with optimism and maybe even joy. At other times it is both sad and funny ... and always quite strange, too.

Looks like it may be more than 60 words ... sorry
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 15
AIDAN BAKER

adn4web.jpg

Toronto based ambient/drone music legend. Releases solo work under his name, and is a member of or fronts the bands Nadja and Arc. Between these, he has over 50 albums to his name. Nadja for quality drone in the vein of Sunn O))) (album recommendation: Body Cage), solo releases for guitar loop/ambience (album recommendation: Broken and Remade) and shoegaze/post rock. Everything I've heard has been truly excellent, and he's a great guy to boot (we've spoken at shows). Several new releases every year to keep you tantalised. Can't recommend enough.

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Wilco.

'The finest rock band in the world.' Independent On Sunday

‘One of the best live bands in existence.’ Q

'Wilco are among the best live acts in the world. When this band are on stage, wonders really do never cease.' Financial Times

061407_5486.jpg

www.wilcoworld.net/records

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Ray LaMontagne has one of the best voices I've ever heard, especially live.

He's an acoustic/folk artist, with a very emotive voice..

Trouble is a great CD, but his live recordings really showcase his talent..

He has about 20-30 unreleased songs, all of which are among my favourite..

If you get a chance, see him......if not, just listen.

000214_1_ray-lamontagne.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back