Pls Help - rewiring earbuds???
Jul 26, 2007 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vinman

Head-Fier
Ok, I am trying to cannabalize a set of buds from my iPhone and "merge" them with my Sony MDR-EX90s. Ideally, I want to be able to use my mic/iPod switch with the much better EX90 buds.

Started the project simply enough -
I removed the right bud from the iPhone cord. There are three sets of stranded wires - 1 gold, 1 red, 1 red/green twisted pair.

I then pulled back the rubber sheathing at the plug end of the Sony cord and found three stranded wires. 1 gold, 1 red, and 1 green.

I haven't removed the buds from the Sony cord yet, because the wiring wasn't quite as obvious as I'd expected, and I don't want to ruin the Sonys trying to do something that I'm not particulary adept at, anyway.

My question is this...
Should I expect to find the same 1 gold, 1 red, and 1 red/green twisted pair at the right bud end of the Sonys? I don't want to damage the plug end of the iPhone cord because it needs to remain intact. The extra wiring associated with the mic and switch are only going to confuse things, anyway.

The other confusing thing is this...
When I used my continuity tester on the iPhone cord, not one of the three wires showed flow back on the plug. On the Sony cord, after pulling back the sheath at the plug, I got flow on the gold wire across the entire plug, but none for the red or green wires. I guess this is more theoretical than functional knowledge, but it's still a little puzzling. While we're at it, I was a little puzzled by the fact that there are three sets of stranded uninsulated wires carrying the signals to the right bud (only two to the left). Why don't they short - or at least mix the signal and screw up the polarity??

Assuming I pull the Sonys apart and find the same sort of configuration, should I solder all three sets as one joint (since they are all uninsulated together), or should I make seperate solder joints for each stranded wire?

I plan to finish off the project by soldering the proper sets of wires, using liquid tape, then heat shrink tubing. Is this the strongest method of finishing?

I'm hoping that I'm just overcomplicating an easy job, but I don't want to continue until I get some confirmation that the Sonys should be wired the same, and all I have to do is splice, solder, and seal.

THANKS!
etysmile.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Should I just splurge and get the Shure Music Phone Adapter? Apparently it basically plugs into the iPhone and has a mic/switch with a 3.5mm plug to attach any set of stereo plugs/phones.

My idea of combining the two ear sets was meant to simplify and not add more parts to the equation. My fear of damaging the Sonys is taking over, though...

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 9
Ok, well based on that and the overall lack of other's comments, I think I'll chalk up the loss of one set of iPhone buds it up to experience and order the MPA from Shure.

I'm still baffled by the fact that electrical impusles can create accurate sound when they are traveling in a group of separate wires that are all run together, uninsulated from each other. The mysteries of electrons, I suppose. Try that with speaker cable and any other sort of amp, and you'd be calling the insurance company to pay a homeowner's claim...

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, well based on that and the overall lack of other's comments, I think I'll chalk up the loss of one set of iPhone buds it up to experience and order the MPA from Shure.

I'm still baffled by the fact that electrical impusles can create accurate sound when they are traveling in a group of separate wires that are all run together, uninsulated from each other. The mysteries of electrons, I suppose. Try that with speaker cable and any other sort of amp, and you'd be calling the insurance company to pay a homeowner's claim...

The wires are insulated. The red, green, and gold are a special varnish that is applied to the surface of the wire. This is commonly done with magnet wire. The varnish is quite durable, and indeed can be fairly difficult to remove. With solid wire, I just use an X-acto knife to scrape off the varnish.

With stranded wire, it's a bit trickier. Typically, I use an 800 degree soldering iron tip, and a bunch of flux, to burn off the varnish. It can also be chemically removed.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wires are insulated. The red, green, and gold are a special varnish that is applied to the surface of the wire. This is commonly done with magnet wire. The varnish is quite durable, and indeed can be fairly difficult to remove. With solid wire, I just use an X-acto knife to scrape off the varnish.

With stranded wire, it's a bit trickier. Typically, I use an 800 degree soldering iron tip, and a bunch of flux, to burn off the varnish. It can also be chemically removed.

In other words, its really not worth the hassle.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, seeing all the cool earbud transplants in another forum indicate that it is a popular mod, but I haven't the skill or really nice soldering iron for the task. Thanks for the information - especially regarding the wire varnish. That was troubling me greatly!

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 9
I've done earbud transplants, but i can't fathom why there would be four wires going to one bud.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done earbud transplants, but i can't fathom why there would be four wires going to one bud.

Yeah, the green and red wire is what really threw me. It appears to be the same green wire that runs to the left bud, just coiled around the red one, too. I can't imagine why that would be the case, though. I guess maybe its there to differentiate it from the green (left) for color blindness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back