pls help me with my setup!
Nov 20, 2011 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

audi0n00b

New Head-Fier

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am an audio noob.  So right now I have an iMac 27" connected to my Mackie Hr824's, I also have the Sennheiser hd25's.  I was thinking of getting an ext DAC like the fiio E7+E9 combo to increase the sound quality of my music.

However, now I am looking to purchase a vintage turntable to play some of the LP's I have purchased.  I was wondering instead of the DAC could I perhaps just purchase a stereo receiver instead?  Or should I still get a DAC and run the iMac through the DAC to the receiver.  I know that the turntable would need to be hooked up to the receiver via a phono preamp if the receiver is relatively new.  So basically the question is now that I am looking to hookup the turntable to the Mackie's as well obviously I need a receiver right?  And so do I need the DAC for my iMac or can I just run the music via cable straight to the receiver?  And also I would appreciate any suggestions regarding if I should purchase a vintage receiver to go with the vintage turntable I plan on purchasing?  Also any suggestions on what type of receiver I should get?  My budget is <$200.

Sorry if this was long I would appreciate any help?  Thanks!

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, you could go a lot of ways.

If you really want to improve the sound, I'd recommend better headphones or speakers. Those make the most difference. With $200, you can get something really good, like a used HD-600.

Getting a good receiver is nice, too. There are lots and lots of models, but brands I like are Adcom, Marantz, NAD, and Rotel. I'd keep an eye out locally (Craigslist, etc.) for a local one. Save on shipping and you can give it a listen first. Same with vintage turntables.

Anyway, I'd recommend doing all of what you mentioned. It can't be done for $200, so spread it out over six months or longer. Heck, you already have some good gear, so enjoy it and piece together something better over time. Upgrade your headphones, find a good receiver and turntable, a DAC and then speakers. I'd also recommend vintage and DIY speakers. DIY is easier than you think and saves a lot of money.

So make a long-term plan and keep after it. Bargains will turn up and you'll end up with something good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back