Plitron Transformers
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

applevalleyjoe

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about building a SOHA II. GlassjarAudio recommends the AVEL LINDBERG 30VA 15+15 toroid transformer, presumably because of its cost-effectiveness. I've been reviewing transformer threads to see what else is available and what is being used by others. I've been interested in the Plitron because I've heard others say that its one of the best; that it is made in Canada; and also because Singlepower uses these in their Extreme Platinum models. Interestingly, I found a Chinese web site calling itself Canada Plitron Manufacturing Company Shenshen, China. I guess that Plitron may not be made in Canada unless that's Canada, China - sort of like Obama, Japan (?).

Regardless of point of origen, I've heard that Plitrons are virtually hum/hiss free though this might be hype. The only thing that I know for sure is that their counterpart model to the AVEL cost TWICE as much! Is there something special about the Plitron toroids? Are they more shielded and is this shield more effective than those of other toroid manufacturers?

I would appreciate any feedback since I have no experience in this area.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 7
The one and only Plitron I have ordered was from thier overstock/discontinued(can't remember the exact catagory) stuff. I still haven't used it.
It was postmarked Canada.
Shipping was a bit more than the traffo.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Plitron's head office is in Canada, they happen to have a factory in China. Take a look at their Contacts page.

The regular power toroids I bought from Plitron still caused hum problems. A shielded toroid would be more along the lines of what you're looking for if you're trying to minimize transformer hum.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Unless you're buying from the overstock listing, I believe Plitron has a $250 minimum order

Also, SumR seems to have better prices for shielded transformers.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 7
I used Avel-Lindberg toroids in a project; I think they're good and wouldn't have a problem using them again. Plitron also makes good transformers.

Though the last few I've ordered have been from Electra-Print, which are excellent. I don't know if Jack winds toroids, but it might be worth emailing him to see if he can meet your needs.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 7
i love the electra-print transformers, and use them for all of my projects. they have improved the sonics of everything i've sub-ed them into. ordering from Jack is always an educational experience, and he's great fun to deal with, and prices his stuff quite fairly.

the plitrons that built their reputation in audio are the lo-no models, which are for amps, and are very expensive, as they use electrostatic shields to reduce the powerline noise that gets thru standard toroids.

i love the smell of varnish in the morning.... smells like....

audio!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back