Pleased with new HD 650 with Objective 2 Amp, but have a question about break-In time
Jul 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jimmy24

Member of the Trade: TheHeadAmpBuilder
Formerly known as Jimbo24
Hey guys. Its my first post here. I've been reading a bit on headphones and amps and I'm fairly new to the whole scene. I recently purchased an HD 650 with an Objective 2 Amp. I'm very pleased but I have a question regarding break-in time. I have only used my headphones approximately less than 20 hours. I'm not sure how long I have to break them in until I hear the true sound from the headphones but if you can give me an estimate on how long it would take, I'd be very glad. Right now it doesn't really impress me that much and I feel like they're just a regular pair of headphones although I there is some noticeable difference in some songs over others.

Also I'm not really into leaving my headphones on over night or during the day because I'd like to listen to gradual changes in the headphones as I continue to break them in. I just want to know if I would be able to break them in if I don't turn up the volume so loud and if I just casually listen to them for a few hours a day. I'm not sure if I need to leave them on for long periods to get a better break-in.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated. 

-James

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 15
How were you listening to music prior to this?  Sometimes it takes a bit of time for your ears to get used to a new sound signature...more-so than the drivers loosening up.
If you don't like them now, it is highly unlikely that your opinion will sway a whole 180 degrees but I would give it some time.

Maybe you haven't heard a good set of cans yet and you set your expectations a bit too high.  Make sure the songs you pick and their quality is appropriate. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 15
Be aware that HD650 are very picky with what you pairing them with. I heard mine, having over 200 hours, with O2 and wasn't impressed either but was surprised to discover that HD650 and Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 are made in heaven for each other 

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 15
Jul 22, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 15
A few tips for OP:

1.  Check for data compression in your music files (what size are your mp3s?  FLACs?  ALACs?).
2.  Check for music with actual dynamics.
3.  Check to see if your music gels with the strengths of the HD650.
4.  Comparison test backwards.  That means listen to the HD650s for a good while and then go back to what you were listening to before.  Differences are more easily detectible when going backwards.

'Break in' is a somewhat controversial subject.  If it exists, then your already damn-good headphones will get better!  Go ahead, listen to your music!

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Hey guys. Its my first post here. I've been reading a bit on headphones and amps and I'm fairly new to the whole scene. I recently purchased an HD 650 with an Objective 2 Amp. I'm very pleased but I have a question regarding break-in time. I have only used my headphones approximately less than 20 hours. I'm not sure how long I have to break them in until I hear the true sound from the headphones but if you can give me an estimate on how long it would take, I'd be very glad. Right now it doesn't really impress me that much and I feel like they're just a regular pair of headphones although I there is some noticeable difference in some songs over others.
Also I'm not really into leaving my headphones on over night or during the day because I'd like to listen to gradual changes in the headphones as I continue to break them in. I just want to know if I would be able to break them in if I don't turn up the volume so loud and if I just casually listen to them for a few hours a day. I'm not sure if I need to leave them on for long periods to get a better break-in.
Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated. 

What are you using for a DAC?
What source(s) are you using (plugging the O2) into?

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to stick with my O2 for now and see how it goes. I started downloading and ripping some cd's in lossless audio and noticed a great difference. I notice the treble sounds a lot more crisp and the instruments can be heard distinctively in the mix. I am fully enjoying them now.

Quote:
What are you using for a DAC?
What source(s) are you using (plugging the O2) into?

I'm only using the O2 atm. I have an ODAC on its way. I'm using my desktop computer with Windows Media Player. 

Quote:
How were you listening to music prior to this?  Sometimes it takes a bit of time for your ears to get used to a new sound signature...more-so than the drivers loosening up.
If you don't like them now, it is highly unlikely that your opinion will sway a whole 180 degrees but I would give it some time.

Maybe you haven't heard a good set of cans yet and you set your expectations a bit too high.  Make sure the songs you pick and their quality is appropriate. 

I was using my Klipsche 3.1 Speakers that are about 10 years old but they produce good sound and bass.

Perhaps my expectations were a tad bit high because of some of the reviews I've seen online were saying how out of this world the sound was and the soundscape being so amazing. Now that I've heard songs in high quality, I'm not really complaining about them. The quality of songs does really make a huge difference. 

-James

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Yea, your problem was your source material. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I'm only using the O2 atm. I have an ODAC on its way. I'm using my desktop computer with Windows Media Player. 

PC motherboards come with low cost DACs, so the ODAC should improve your audio quality.
Try using Foobar for playing audio files.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 15
 A definite + 1 on PurpleAngel's suggestion...Foobar,
I just started to use it myself,and it is a huge improvemnt over media player,and I-tunes.....imho.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 15
About the only thing that "breaks in" in the long run on the HD650 and most other headphones are the pads. In a few months the pads compress and the driver gets closer to the ear so the bass goes up ~1db and the mid-high down 1-2dB.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 15
I too have this exact same combination and I felt completely lugubrious at first because it did not sound anything how I had expected. I have had a couple of nicer headphones before but nothing quite at this level. Anyway, after some tinkering around with configurations and the audio files, I found that the source it is coming from and the quality of the files drastically alters the listening experience. I was plugging my phone in to the O2 and just listening to it like that but it just sounded so crappy and dull. I now have it set up from the computer to O2 and listen to FLAC or 320 kbps and it is just phenomenal.

I have never heard of Foobar, I will have to look into that myself. I have been using Winamp since 97 or 98 though and it just feels so comfortable and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back