Please, surprise me.
Jun 11, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 44
Surely you have heard of [size=small]BUDDHA BAR[/size] and [size=small]CAFE DEL MAR[/size] etc.

You can also try those numerous fashion show albums that pop up (Milano Fashion, Roma Alta Moda, The Music from NY, Lon, Milan and Paris - fashion week).

Nice music
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Recommend me a surefire 'whoa' CD that's not in the 'recommended' lists of major record stores. I'm not in this case looking for a classical recommendation... that's an area I know inside out. I think I'm Norah'd out so no sultry or ballsy females please.

*scratches out 90% of my list*
Well, that leaves the Tea Party, see if you can find "Triptych" or "The Edges of Twilight", or if want a quick sampler of what they sound like you can get the "Tangents" best-of CD. It's good rock with some eastern flavour to it.

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 44
Jenifer Smith, Code Mesa -- legal samples on the link. Don't know if it'll be at your local store, but is certainly available online (check out the used prices at Amazon, for example [!] -- don't forget to go through the Head-Fi link, though).

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 44
I've been on a mission to tell everyone I come across about one of my favorite alt/pop band, well actually a duo, and since someone starts a thread virtually asking for it...
wink.gif
Check out www.lighthousefamily.com and sample some of their songs (2 of my favs being Run and It's a beautiful day). As a bonus the quality of their albums are all pretty good as far as I can tell.

Jun 11, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 44
Bluesville on XM radio has been playing a lot of cuts off a CD by Guitar Shorty named "Watch Your Back" so I picked it up. Very good rock/blues player. He's been making music since 1957. He was Jimi Hendrix's brother in law, and supposedly taught him some of his stage moves. Excellent CD, and I'll definitely pick up some more of his CD's. Really hard driving rock/blues.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 44
Hey Bong, I first saw Cranes when they opened for the Cure on the Wish tour. At that time they hadn't yet recorded "Forever," but were playing some songs from it though.

My buddy has a video tape of a Cure show where Cranes opened for them, but Alison was sick or something and couldn't sing. So Robert Smith came out and played her vocals on guitar! It's pretty cool. Been years since I've seen it.

Here's a second recommendation for Ride's "Nowhere" album. I bought it on a hunch. I was reading that Robert Smith likes them, and since I was looking for some new music, I just grabbed it. I like their drummer; he's pretty awesome. Crap--now that it's been remastered I'm going to have to pick it up again!

Souvlaki is another good album. The last few "bonus" tracks aren't so great in my opinion, and some stuff on "Just For A Day" rival or surpass a lot on Souvlaki (I like Spanish Air, Celia's Dream, and Waves in particular). Did you grab any of the Mojave 3 stuff?

Another band that is kinda similar I think is Spiritualized. I haven't heard much of them but I saw them open for Radiohead and they were pretty cool.

Jun 11, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by strike
Souvlaki is another good album. The last few "bonus" tracks aren't so great in my opinion, and some stuff on "Just For A Day" rival or surpass a lot on Souvlaki (I like Spanish Air, Celia's Dream, and Waves in particular). Did you grab any of the Mojave 3 stuff?

I would say the "just for a day" is the best album by Slowdive, but 2nd album "souvlaki" does have its moments including my favorite song by them "some velvet morning"

As for Cranes I agree with Bong, best album is "loved" but first purchase should be 2CD collection of EPs.

What can you say about Ride "nowhere".......essential purchase.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 44
Blue Day, which is essentially just their first few EPs, is probably Slowdive's best album. Speaking of great concerts, how about Slowdive opening for Ride at the Palace in '92?! Still have the ticket stub in my Nowhere cd jewel case.

Electrelane's The Power Out is a fun album if you like Stereolab. As for other pretty accessible stuff, try The Streets, Franz Ferdinand, and The Shins. Fairly overhyped but have a broad appeal.

BTW, how is the remasterd import of Nowhere? Noticeable improvement in SQ? I'd love to have high quality recording of "Dreams Burn Down" to crank up. The inclusion of the EP is icing on the cake. "Sennen" has always been one of my favorite Ride songs.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 44
DNTEL - Incredible stuff, on par with Aphex Twin IMO.

Postal Service - already mentioned. collaboration between DNTEL and Death Cab For Cutie lead.

The Shins - Oh Inverted World, or Chutes Too Narrow.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People.

Jun 11, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 44
Thanks guys, that should be enough to get me started. I have surprisingly few of the recommendations... With my collection I kind of expected a 50% 'have it' rate. Clearly there's a lot of music out there
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 44
Bangraman:

My current favourite CD is : [size=medium]Spain - The Greatest Song Ever[/size]

Has a few nice tracks, and the CD quality is excellent.

http://www.hmv.com.au/v4/product/wor...asp?sku=842243

My favourite tracks are :

Rosario - Meneito
Rosario - Muchas Flores... ---> Very groovy, moving, involving tracks...
Paco De Lucia - Granada ---> Excellent guitar play... especially if you have a nice sound system to go with it, which you do have, hehe..

Don't know if Latin is your cup of tea though...

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by strike
Hey Bong, I first saw Cranes when they opened for the Cure on the Wish tour. At that time they hadn't yet recorded "Forever," but were playing some songs from it though.

Here's a second recommendation for Ride's "Nowhere" album. I bought it on a hunch. I was reading that Robert Smith likes them, and since I was looking for some new music, I just grabbed it. I like their drummer; he's pretty awesome. Crap--now that it's been remastered I'm going to have to pick it up again!

Another band that is kinda similar I think is Spiritualized. I haven't heard much of them but I saw them open for Radiohead and they were pretty cool.

very jealous! i would've loved to see both the Cranes and the Cure on the Wish tour, but for some reason or another i messed out...
frown.gif

Robert Smith has shown his affinity for various shoegaze bands, especially My Bloody Valentine and Ride in particular. "Loveless" always finds its way in his top ten albums list. also, Robert and Simon Gallup were both blown away when "Nowhere" was released. Robert had his hand in arranging the "Great British Music Weekend" in 1990 and requested that Ride gets a slot in the festival. if you have the "Play Out" video, there is a backstage scene where a list of bands can be seen, and Ride was one of them.

i think for Slowdive, "Souvlaki" had better songwriting, but "Just For a Day" has incredible atmosphere and production, everything is so dense and layered. the bonus tracks on "Souvlaki" lean more torwards to the electronic sounding "Pygmalion." i have to agree with lifeinabox that "Blue Day" has a set of awesome songs though, especially "Slowdive," "Avalyn," and my fave Slowdive tune, "Morningrise."

as for Mojave 3, i never really got into them. i have the first two albums, and IIRC i liked the first one better. Rachel had more vocals in it, and the songs seem more memorable. however, Mojave 3 is a bit too low key for me, reminds me of Cowboy Junkies. i'll have to listen to them again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeinabox
Blue Day, which is essentially just their first few EPs, is probably Slowdive's best album. Speaking of great concerts, how about Slowdive opening for Ride at the Palace in '92?! Still have the ticket stub in my Nowhere cd jewel case.

so jealous! i would've loved to be in this tour as well. i have a few live tapes from both bands on this tour, and all of them sounded great. i've never seen both bands live before, the closest was seeing an acoustic set by Mark Gardener last year, who played a great mix of new songs and Ride classics.

sorry to thread hijack! i'll add another listening recommendation:

Ash - Meltdown. not as fun as "Free All Angels," but a really solid album nevertheless.

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeinabox

OMG.......where did you buy this Blue Day collection? Didn't even know it existed and can't find it at my usual sources.
frown.gif

Ride has a cool 6 song EP the came out before Nowhere album called "Smile" which is easier to get and well worth having. Some of these are contained on OX4 collection.

Just saw that 2002 version of OX4 on Ignition label has 19 songs vs 15 songs on original OX4.........I think I have the original
frown.gif
(update - just checked I do have 19 song version, last 4 songs are on 2nd CD)

Jun 14, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #30 of 44
I'm going to try and surprise you with even genres you probably think you are going to hate. Give'em a chance though
smily_headphones1.gif

Rajaton Vocal Ensemble - Boundless (beautiful accapella only sextet that doesn't succumb to the overpolished/bording Manhattan transfer pseudo-jazz)

Pete Namlook - anything on his Fax Records label, but I'd recommend picking up Air I or Air II (dark droning electronica ambient that is powerful, gripping and minimalistic. Quite underrated and known by only a few)

Anything on Recycle or Die label (This is the back catalogue of another good ambient/electronic label from Germany. More earthly and with a hint of the Frankfurt school, but also mesmerising. Slow builders, not instant pop gems)

Snuff - anything by this English melodic punk band who take a piss on many chart hits, but also go from ska to good ol' British melodic punk. Three minute pop gems, positive energy and funny. I particularly recommend 'Flibbidydibbydibo' and 'Snuff Said', but their more recent stuff is good as well.

Si Begg - Director's Cut (What can I say? I saw/heard Si Begg live at Koneisto festival and I had utterly given up hope on 99% of electronic music before that gig. This stuff is rockin'!)

In the same vein, if you like modern banging beats on an electro tip, try T Raumschiemere's 'Radio Blackout' (equally dance inducing, but still inventive and fresh beats)

Jumpin' Disco Classics from the Underground Vol 1 & 2 (forget the cheesy commercial disco compilations, this is pure unadultered 70s UG disco the way it was played. Relatively good mastering on these releases as well. For that summer feeling
smily_headphones1.gif
). If you like old non-mainstream disco, check out also the T.K. Disco 45, SAM Disco Classics and Solar Disco Classics compilations.

Anonymous 4 - An English Ladymass (another accapella group, singing mainly early music with so beautiful vocal harmonies that your 12 tone rone 'classical' music will sound like pseudo-mathematical harmony after this. Good recording as well, audiophile quality). BTW, this has been on the (classical) charts in the UK, so you've been warned
smily_headphones1.gif

Bugge Wesseltoft - New Conception of Jazz Moving / Sharing / Filming (a good blend of turntablism, proper jazz compositions, mood and meshing of the boundaries of jazz and other genres. Highly recommended if you are in any way into modern non-US jazz). If you like Bugge, check out also Nils Petter Molvaer and Esbjörn Svensson Trio and anything on Jazzland label.

Urna Chahar-Tugchi : Hödööd or any other recording by her (Mongolian singing that is very little processed and so pure emotion that it'll make a grown man cry. Wonderful singing talent and a good disc to evalute that critical 'sense of presence' as well)

Non-Phixion: The Future is Now (for me, another "yes, it's still there" album, but now for rap. A curious blend of social issues, ill beats, horror movies samples and futurama gone wrong episodes. Works so much better than rappers who only talk about themselves, their cars, their ho's and whatnot)

Of the bit better known stuff, I'd also recommend Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (folkish/countrish US indie pop), Calexico (as previous), The Notwist: Neon Golden (melancholic and melodic electronic pop), Lemon Jelly: Lost Horizons/K.Y. (naivistic and really happy melodic electronica), Kodo: anything, but "Best of Kodo Vol 2" is a good start (Japanese drumming with traditional woodwind instruments, non-vocal, really jamming stuff with excellent dynamics), Mew: Frengers (shoegazing influenced melodic pop), Markus Schulz: Coldharbour sessions 2004(simple/smooth sounding melodic trance, if you're into that sort of thing. No goa/psy influences) and Wrens: Meadowlands (more slit-wristing melancholic alt-country influenced pop, but good songs).

I'm also hunting for recommendations, always.

The trouble is that after having bought a decent amount of records (2000+) from various genres and having worked for too long in a record shop, one tends to get too jaded and cynical. It's hard to get by the inital pre-conceptions and listen to the music, unless something truly different about it grabs you immediately. I must be getting old
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers,
halcyon

PS I have all the original release Ride EPs on vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back