Please, surprise me.
Jun 15, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
so jealous! i would've loved to be in this tour as well. i have a few live tapes from both bands on this tour, and all of them sounded great. i've never seen both bands live before, the closest was seeing an acoustic set by Mark Gardener last year, who played a great mix of new songs and Ride classics.

Yeah, it was a fantastic show. The best part was the following night. Pale Saints opened in place of Slowdive. And guess who was standing next to me waiting to get in... members of Slowdive.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
OMG.......where did you buy this Blue Day collection? Didn't even know it existed and can't find it at my usual sources.
frown.gif

Ride has a cool 6 song EP the came out before Nowhere album called "Smile" which is easier to get and well worth having. Some of these are contained on OX4 collection.

Just saw that 2002 version of OX4 on Ignition label has 19 songs vs 15 songs on original OX4.........I think I have the original
frown.gif
(update - just checked I do have 19 song version, last 4 songs are on 2nd CD)

Yeah, Smile is a great compilation. Used to prefer it to Nowhere for its rougher/garage band sound.

Like Smile, Blue Day is just a compilation of Slowdive EPs. If you have their first three, then you have Blue Day + a few extra songs. No big deal really other than for its rarity.

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 44
I second Electrelane's the Power Out and Mew's Frengers.
Add:
Murder by Death - Like the Exorcist, but more Breakdancing
Man or Astroman? - Project Infinity
The One AM Radio - A Name Writ in Water
Devin Townsend - Terria
Pain of Salvation - 12:5

And let us know what you think of what you get.

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
And let us know what you think of what you get.

Yeah, definitely, I second this. It's nice to get a follow-up -- let us know what you got as a result of this thread, and how you liked it.

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hero zero
How about Mansun's 'Attack of the Grey Lantern'?

oh yeah... i second this one. "Attack of the Grey Lantern" is a great album. i think DarkAngel will agree with this one as well.

getting the UK version is worth the price of admission alone if even just for "Stripper Vicar."
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeinabox
Yeah, it was a fantastic show. The best part was the following night. Pale Saints opened in place of Slowdive. And guess who was standing next to me waiting to get in... members of Slowdive.
biggrin.gif

heh... shoegazers are such friendly, tight-knit group of people. all the bands seem to know each other. they were so firendly, the music journalists from UK rags like Melody Maker or NME constantly complained about boring, uninteresting stories and interviews. that's one of the reasons why they dropped the genre like a bomb, and to utter the word "shoegazing" is still kind of taboo. oh well... i guess music journalists like to be verbally abused from the likes of Oasis.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 44
Thanks guys, I took the recommendations of Monsun and Dios. It's my fault for browsing this thread while ordering the new Cure cd. I had to make it an even 4, the Cure, another Soundtrack of Our Lives cd, and I threw in Dios because of the interesting things said, and Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lattern because I took a guess that Bong and I might have similar tastes.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lattern because I took a guess that Bong and I might have similar tastes.
wink.gif

heh... hope you like it plainsong. that album is a great mix of Prog rock, New Wave, Brit-pop, and Glam. the songs interweave each other and tells a really sad but humourous story. i hope you get the UK version (i think the EU version is the same), but anyway, the version with "Stripper Vicar" is best. the US version botches the whole story by rearranging the tracks and deleting "Stripper Vicar."

hey plainsong, are you ready for the new Cure album? i can't wait...
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #43 of 44
The Postal Service - Give Up ... A gem of an album. The beats are uplifting, but some of the lyrics are downright sad. "Nothing Better" is my fave tune in there.

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand .... One of the most highly rated new indie bands to emerge, I can't quite pin down their style to be honest, but check out Take Me Out and The Dark of The Matinee (or i see they released the single simply as The Matinee), and you'd get a good taste of what they're about.

Jun 25, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #44 of 44
Yeah, I read your impressions, and as I'm one of the ones that doesn't think every album has to sound like Disintigration, it sounds like a keeper. I have it on order.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was seeing red when I went to somethingawful.com though. They have a feature this week called Your Band Sucks: The Cure. They go on and on about image and not much is said about sound.
mad.gif

My brother-in-law was looking for something along these lines, so when I get it, I'll have to let him know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
heh... hope you like it plainsong. that album is a great mix of Prog rock, New Wave, Brit-pop, and Glam. the songs interweave each other and tells a really sad but humourous story. i hope you get the UK version (i think the EU version is the same), but anyway, the version with "Stripper Vicar" is best. the US version botches the whole story by rearranging the tracks and deleting "Stripper Vicar."

hey plainsong, are you ready for the new Cure album? i can't wait...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back