Please suggest me some artists (references included)
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Banned at his own request
Hello all,

I believe it is about time to expand my music library. Right now I am having a hard time filling up eight gigabytes of storage (all 320K MP3).
What I mean by "references" is that I will list some of the artists that I listen to (or specific albums or pieces), and I'd like to know some other artists with their general genre.

So here we go.
  1. Someone along the lines of Sarah McLachlan and Suzanne Vega. Someone mentioned Céline Dion, but no Céline Dion. Please.
  2. Dark and bassy semi-electronica such as Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" and Deadmau5' "For Lack of a Better Name". Not too fast like Trance or Eurodance. I greatly favor the "Dissolved Girl" track (thank you, The Matrix).
  3. I love Judy Collins. Shall I try Barbra Streisand? I have a cassette of her but didn't particularly like it. However this may be due to the physical of the tape itself.
  4. Female RnB but not Rihanna. Basically none of the "mainstream" ones with overly Autotuned voices. I liked "Only Girl in the World" but the distortion is beyond my limits of tolerance.
  5. Some particular pieces similar to Katy Perry's "E.T.". This is the only Katy Perry song that I actually like and is, in my personal opinion, the only song (I have heard to date) that has proper Autotune application.
  6. Which version of the Ring Circle? Some suggest a mix of different Acts while others suggest an integral version. Solti? I listened to excerpts of it (specifically, "Hohoitoho! Hohoitoho! Heia! Heia!" or something similar).

Thank you all in advance!

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 7
You seem to like female vocals - have you sampled k.d. lang yet? One of the best voices we're lucky enough to have on modern recordings. I've always enjoyed "Drag," a torchy collection of songs about smoking, with some excellent covers. Always fun and she's wonderful through a good pair of headphones.

I'm not much up on electronica, though I do like the genre and want to hear more. One disc that turned me on to electronica is B.T.'s "This Binary Universe." Someone here recommended it a few years ago so I bought a copy. Maybe not exactly what you're asking for, but I found it excellent and it gets regular spins.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 7
You might want to try Lykke Li great female vocals(on some songs) i would start with her and drake on little bit if you are more into hip hop or little bit without drake.  Hanging High and Time flies for a slower song or I follow rivers and I don't mind for slightly faster.  Although any song from her is pretty great.
As far as electronica goes Sympho and Let there be light from rank 1 are actually quite amazing.  Though you might have already heard them Word Problems and Chulthu Sleeps from Deadmau5 have a lot of subtle greatness.  
Hope you enjoy.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
So here we go.
  1. Someone along the lines of Sarah McLachlan and Suzanne Vega. Someone mentioned Céline Dion, but no Céline Dion. Please.
  2. Dark and bassy semi-electronica such as Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" and Deadmau5' "For Lack of a Better Name". Not too fast like Trance or Eurodance. I greatly favor the "Dissolved Girl" track (thank you, The Matrix).

Two wishes in one: try Caroline Lavelle: especially her albums Spirit and Brillant Midnight.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Hmmm - try:

Hera - link here  - good vocals, mainly acoustic guitar.  Try the song "Adrian" first - then branch from there.  IMO her 2 best albums are the one I linked and "Not Your Type".
Agnes Obel - album "Philharmonics" - youtube link here - the whole album is pretty good
Definitely Adele - it's modern soul, but her voice is amazing - you tube link here
Christina Perri - youtube link here
Feist - youtube link here

For a mix of electronic and female vocals - try Hungry Lucy - youtube link here
If you like Hungry Lucy, you can legally download all of their albums free from here - http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Hungry+Lucy%22 - but I'd encourage you to donate to the band.
Another one I like is Little Dragon - youtube link here

If you like any of the above and want more, I can probably give you another 10-15 artists to try.  Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back