Please suggest a 40GB+ DAP with good SQ and no frustrations
May 17, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 26
Ross,
I too have just bought an iPod Classic...Mainly because of the long battery life combined with the capacity. I have both a H-120 and an H-340 which I think have better sound quality but the Classic is an acceptable compromise for travel.

However, I mainly wanted to say that I use Media Monkey Gold to organize my music and update both the iRivers and the iPod. It costs $20US but I have been using it for years and it is worth it. However, my music is all non-DRM'd (ie legal cd rips or hi-rez downloads) so if you are buying digitally protected stuff it might not work for you.

Anyway, best of luck with you Classic.

May 17, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have had astonishingly bad luck with DAPs. I'm now on my third ipod in 2 days, and I will have to spend another few hours tonight charging and loading it.

However, one thing I will say is that the iPod actually does sound a lot better than I expected. Through the headphone out, the sound is perfectly acceptable, if a little spatially flat. However, the line out is very good indeed. I was using the line out through an old Sik Din and the Apple AV cable into my Meier Prehead, and switching from a 320 kbps MP3 on the ipod to the same track played lossless from my Squeezebox through a Lavry DA10 Dac, with the two sources level matched. There was no noticeable difference between the MP3 from the ipod line out and the lossless file through the Lavry DAC. Impressive. Pity iTunes is such bollocks.

Agree...reports of iPod subpar sound are exaggerated around here.
Yeah, iTunes truly bites.

May 17, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree...reports of iPod subpar sound are exaggerated around here.
Yeah, iTunes truly bites.

That's very true, especially considering how many of us here own portable iPod setups. The beauty of having a LOD like the iPod and Zen is that you only amp the sound once. Most of the "bad sound quality" people associate with the iPods are mainly against its flat sound signature, the clarity isn't any less than the other DAPs.

May 31, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 26
An update/correction to my previous Post #17:

Wondering why my iPod Classic sounded so poorly in comparison to my iRiver H-340, I investigated and discovered that my library had been accidentally downloaded to the iPod as MP3's at 128 kbs. Really a stupid error. They are now downloaded at 256 kbs VBR.

With the higher quality files, the sound is certainly comparable to the H-340 (casual comparison only so far). It is also my impression that the Classic drives my Senn HD-650's directly better lessening the absolute need for an external amp with these phones.

Not sure what battery consumption will be at 256 kbs. In the past I have had to fall back to 192 kbs to get a player to last more than 24 hours on one charge.

May 31, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people use Itune?

I actually don't get it...

You can simply use winamp to manage files (artist,song name..+++) and just simply transfer it. It's really fast too.

Because on a Mac, iTunes is better than pretty much anything else, both in terms of SQ and ease of use, not to mention how bitmatched playback is hassel-free. It gives even foobar2000 a run for the money.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #24 of 26
Auto playlists? I use MediaMonkey most of the time. But I use iTunes to make sure everything is as I expect for when its transferred to the iPod. Because MediaMonkey/iPod/iTunes don't all use tags the same way. I don't really have a problem with iTunes but I prefer using a mix of filetree and tags myself. iTunes can't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back