Please suggest a 40GB+ DAP with good SQ and no frustrations
May 9, 2008 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided to replace my trusty iRiver H340 (used without an amp with ER4Ps). I need at least 40Gb and preferably 60gb. Video or photos are not necessary. I only need WAV and MP3 and can live without FLAC, AAC or Ogg. Good sound quality however is absolutely essential.

I bought a 60gb Kenwood Media Keg thinking it would satisfy these requirements. To some extent it did, with smoother, warmer sound than the H340 (and absolutely no hiss), although lacking some soundstage depth and dynamics compared to the iriver. However, I keep having a problem transferring files into the Kenwood. At least half the files show errors, and anything with an error will not transfer. This means that half the songs on most of my albums are missing, sometimes the entire CD is gone. I have tried re-ripping at different settings, and nothing fixes this problem. Not sure if it is a fault with the player or the software but it is crapting me up the wall. Since I imported it from Japan and have had it for a while, I don't think returning it is an option.

I thought I could live with a smaller HD so bought a Sony 716 with 8gb. Very nice SQ and conveniently small, adequate software. However, I was being unrealistic thinking I could live with a smaller hard drive. I was thinking of adding the new 16gb player as well for a combined total of 24gb, but carrying two DAPs is a bit much effort, and even then I would have to prune my collection too much to fit on them. Why won't Sony release a 40gb player?

So I bought a 80gb Zune, thinking this would solve my problem, with its reportedly good SQ if awful software. However, I am in Australia and although I bought the Zune from a local seller, I did not realise you cannot dowload the software outside the US. So the Zune was a non-starter before even taking it out of its box (look out for it in the for sale section).

The ipod is an option, but I keep reading that its sound quality is at best ordinary, and I hate hate hate itunes. I originally replaced the ipod with an Iriver because of the sound quality and disgust with itunes (although I know alternatives to itunes are available). I recently dowloaded itunes just to access music purchases, but despite my best efforts to quarantine it, it still attacked my music folders and re-classified everything in an unacceptable way. For example, it changed Bach's Goldberg Variations from Classical to Contemporary Christian, when it is neither contemporary nor christian. God, I hate apple. I also do not want to be another ipod sheep.

So what is left? The Creative Zen Vision M? Some report adequate sound quality but analytical. Toshiba Gigabeat? Can't find much on its sound quality. Any other suggestions? There must be one DAP out there with decent sound quality, adequate software and a hard drive over 40gb ... ?

May 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 26
There are a lot of people who use the Zune outside of the US, so I'm sure you can. Not sure what it involves, but if you go to some forum dedicated to the Zune, I'm sure someone can help you. Given the lack of HDD players, the Zune is probably your best option. Also, the software isn't awful anymore, the latest update improved it a lot.

May 9, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 26
May 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 26
Well I got the Zune software working, but then the Zune froze and I cannot reset it.

So back to my original question.

The Creative Zen Vision M seems to be about the only choice available. Are there any others? How does it compare to the dreaded ipod?

May 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 26
Why can't you reset the Zune? You've tried all the button combos?

May 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 26
Yes, I've followed all the instructions and it will not reset.

May 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 26
You got a dud. Let the battery drain fully. and start again.

May 11, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 26
I've been in discussions with the vendor about replacing the Zune.

In the meantime, in a desperate move, I bought an 80gb iPod classic. In a continuation of my run of bad luck with DAPs, the iPod did not work at all, did not even charge. Fortunately, I got it back to the store the same day and they replaced it.

The sound quality on the iPod classic is not quite as bad as I was expecting. Not as three-dimensional as the iriver, and not as warm as the Sony or Kenwood, but reasonably neutral and smooth. Quite acceptable. (I'm still trying to figure out how to get sound out of the line out dock to use with my Ray Samuels SR-71.)

However, once again, iTunes is wreaking havoc on my files. It is importing things without my consent, and categorising things in itunes contrary to the way I had them organised in my folders. Why can't itunes just allow you to use a simple folder tree structure like the iriver? Oh, how I hate apple, with its "think different" BS, where everyone using an apple product is forced to think exactly the same.

May 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in discussions with the vendor about replacing the Zune.

In the meantime, in a desperate move, I bought an 80gb iPod classic. In a continuation of my run of bad luck with DAPs, the iPod did not work at all, did not even charge. Fortunately, I got it back to the store the same day and they replaced it.

The sound quality on the iPod classic is not quite as bad as I was expecting. Not as three-dimensional as the iriver, and not as warm as the Sony or Kenwood, but reasonably neutral and smooth. Quite acceptable. (I'm still trying to figure out how to get sound out of the line out dock to use with my Ray Samuels SR-71.)

However, once again, iTunes is wreaking havoc on my files. It is importing things without my consent, and categorising things in itunes contrary to the way I had them organised in my folders. Why can't itunes just allow you to use a simple folder tree structure like the iriver? Oh, how I hate apple, with its "think different" BS, where everyone using an apple product is forced to think exactly the same.

in a desperate move? couldn't you just wait untile they replaced your zune?

about itunes, you can configure it not to touch your files.

also apple follows more or less the original UNIX guidelines of never introducing new features or options, possibly even dumbing down software, in order to keep things simple.
that's their philosophy, either buy into it or stop complaining.
how many people buy iPods because they're cool and then complain about iTunes? nobody seems to understand the the beauty is exactly in the iTunes-iPod seamless ecosystem, not in the sexy mirrored back.

I for one am probably the only one who bought an iPod because I like iTunes and not vice versa.

May 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 26
This morning yet another problem. I turn on my iPod and the screen is upside down. Yes, really. Another one needs to be returned. This is just unbelievable.

May 12, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by andare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's their philosophy, either buy into it or stop complaining.

why should he not be allowed to complain about something he bought? surely he has the right to.

May 12, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why should he not be allowed to complain about something he bought? surely he has the right to.

of course he can complain, i was just saying that apple is really rigid about this and leave it or take is their attitude.

about the upside down screen, you really have a streak of bad luck! myself i am amazed that my 10 days old iPod STILL works perfectly.

i think it's safe to say that Apple has been really flaking out ever since it concentrated all efforts on the iPhone. it's just not right! microsoft is no better, linux still has software and drivers issues, how much **** should we take with computers? and all we want is enjoy music!

-- end of rant --

good luck with your DAPs!

May 12, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 26
Yes, I have had astonishingly bad luck with DAPs. I'm now on my third ipod in 2 days, and I will have to spend another few hours tonight charging and loading it.

However, one thing I will say is that the iPod actually does sound a lot better than I expected. Through the headphone out, the sound is perfectly acceptable, if a little spatially flat. However, the line out is very good indeed. I was using the line out through an old Sik Din and the Apple AV cable into my Meier Prehead, and switching from a 320 kbps MP3 on the ipod to the same track played lossless from my Squeezebox through a Lavry DA10 Dac, with the two sources level matched. There was no noticeable difference between the MP3 from the ipod line out and the lossless file through the Lavry DAC. Impressive. Pity iTunes is such bollocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back