Please stop
Jun 15, 2009 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
Noobs: I don't think it's right to make dozens of posts in a really short amount of time on this board to boost your post count (assuming that's what you're trying to do). Not cool.

I don't think stuff like these posts should be even counted in a user's post count since it's nothing really productive and doesn't contribute much to the community.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noobs: I don't think it's right to make dozens of posts in a really short amount of time on this board to boost your post count (assuming that's what you're trying to do). Not cool.

I don't think stuff like these posts should be even counted in a user's post count since it's nothing really productive and doesn't contribute much to the community.

It's a place to post about non-Head-Fi obsessions for gadgets and such. Some of us don't have the money in order to keep buying and discussing headphones and such and while we're biding our time to make more money and purchase more headphone related stuff, we can discuss other hobbies or collections of ours or gadgets or such.

With all due respect, complaining just isn't the answer when it's so easy to just ignore this section and some people who post here if you so desire.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 23
I'm totally not against new members posting in this forum. In fact, it's great that anyone can post here and share their other hobbies/gear. However, I think that it's a cheap way of getting your post count up to 50 in order to post in the For Sale forum. Those rules are there for a reason.

I'd like to ignore the posts if it was really easy but the truth is that I check this Gear-Fi forum regularly for new relevant posts, and it's disappointing to see two pages of threads bumped up by a member that joined that day with a post count of ~50. I'm not really trying to discourage anyone from posting here, I just think it just adds irrelevant waste posts to otherwise good threads, and it's a way to get around the requirements of the forum.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 23
Just remember kids: Post count means nothing.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just remember kids: Post count means nothing.

Sure it does - kick it up there far enough and you become a Headphoneus Supremus, and they know that.

But "kids," know this also, a 1500 post count does NOT mean that you know squat...

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 23
It can be very intimidating for new members to get involved in the equipment forums; if they don't have a wide range of experiences, how can they make useful comments? If their comments aren't useful, they get flamed or ignored. I for one don't want any increase in the already-too-high number of "what equipment do I need" threads. Why NOT start here, where they can comment on things they know about?

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 23
My problem isn't with new members (or anyone for that matter) posting in this forum. I don't think the new members that post in more than a page full of consecutive threads with one or two sentence remarks, all around a minute apart, are doing anything productive. To me, it seems like they're just trying to boost post count without posting anything beneficial or helpful. I am not saying that post count or label is what makes a member or not. I wish new members would realize this and stop flooding this forum with one-liners, that's all.

I don't think this happens all the time, it just got my attention because it happened twice in the last couple days.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be very intimidating for new members to get involved in the equipment forums; if they don't have a wide range of experiences, how can they make useful comments? If their comments aren't useful, they get flamed or ignored. I for one don't want any increase in the already-too-high number of "what equipment do I need" threads. Why NOT start here, where they can comment on things they know about?

One way to start is to read more, and post less for a new user, go to meets to try things, etc.
As is mentioned, post count doesn't really mean anything, so it's not a necessity to spam in every thread just to see your name pop up everywhere.

This would also improve the signal-noise ratio on the forums, which I, for one, would welcome.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 23
maybe there should be a rep system to base the ranking system on, but then again that would mean there would be a lot of people who have been here a year or two with thousands of posts who would have to be demoted. I think it's kind of sad that people take pride in web forums rankings in the first place.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 23
The problem likely is a common one, that people don't want to make an effort to find out what they need, but want someone to tell them what they need. It's just laziness.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 23
I have to agree, people who are new to this forum, like me, don't want to get started in discussion especially in high-end forums since many do not have the knowledge or money yet to discuss things with high ranking members. I felt that way when I first joined Overclock.net, but now I have a higher post count then many of the older members on this site. I have tried to be as useful as I can to boost my post count on this site, manly sticking to the portables forums.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 23
Nice job, mudkip. It's always good to see members (whether new or old) boosting their post count by making productive posts instead of dozens of one-liners, "bump" or "
smily_headphones1.gif
" posts, you know what I mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember when I first joined here it seemed like it was hard to get any advice. Even after searching the forums if I couldn't find my answer I would make a new thread but no one would really help me out.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 23
Well, I see lots of people posting things like NICE! or AWESOME! or SUPER COOL! in forums. Not sure if its for the post count or what, but it can generally be annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back