Please stop me from buying BEATS or SMS Audio Street!!!
Apr 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

terminaldawn

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy "on ear" or over ear headphones.  I am guessing I can do better than Beats or SMS therefore I am consulting the experts.  Here is what I am looking for in about this order:

Highly portable.
Comfortable
Noise isolation (Closed)
Removable headphone cord
Headphone cord on one side only
Inline controls
decent style (i know this is subjective)
decent sound 
Budget- Negotiable. (probably no more than $300, prefer to stay under $200 if possible).

I may get hate but the SMS Audio and Beats kinda hit most of these check-marks above for me (i think).  I have heard sound quality is not the greatest and perhaps reliability.  Now I am no super Audiophile.  Really looking for something that is inconspicuous that I can lock out sound at work (office job) that is portable. 

I own Sennheiser PC360 $ HD595 and Klipsch s4i and i am overely happy with all, however need a new pair of cans for the office application.

Hope you guys/gals can offer different suggestions!

Thanks!!!

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 37
Thanks for the suggestion.  I am sure they sound great.  I am not a fan of the way they look.  I work in a upscale office and I cant envision wearing these.  In addition no inline controls is a deal breaker at the end of the day.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 37
I own the sms dj Pro.

They are over priced like a great # of cans on this site. 
Can't NOT recommend them though. 
Fun sound like the M100 with slightly more bass impact. Good mids. Great highs. Again...very fun.
I haven't tried the new beats so I cannot comment.

FWIW...
Throwing yourself at the folks on this site is like gambling. It's worse actually. The odds of you liking something the way another person does is pretty ....well. Ever thought of listening to as many cans as you can and deciding for yourself?

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 37
Good point. Sound quality is not really the most important thing to me though. So as long as it's regarded as decent, I am sure it will be good for me. I only have a best buy near me and I don't think they have a demo section for headphones. I will check though.

I will look more into the akg as well.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 37
Good point. Sound quality is not really the most important thing to me though. So as long as it's regarded as decent, I am sure it will be good for me. I only have a best buy near me and I don't think they have a demo section for headphones. I will check though.

I will look more into the akg as well.

Then you definitely don't need to be spending $300

Good luck!

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 37
Here's my 4 for you
-UE 6000 (if you look around, you can find them for under $100 new, saving you some cash)
-V-moda M80/100.
-Sony MDR-1R (if you can find them under $300, they usually retail for $350)

Also, give the new AT ATH-M50x a try.

EDIT: you can find the UE 6000 and (maybe) the Sony at Bestbuy, since that's where you're buying from. I honestly think you should get the UE 6000. You can save some money, they sound good enough (better than decent for certain genre's like hip-hop/rap, pop and such) and look great.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 37
The Sony MDR-1R have caught my eye.  However to me they don't look collapsible and portable.  I watched a few videos and I haven't really seen anyone collapsing or touting its portability.  Could I be missing something?

Keep the suggestions coming if there are others

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 37
Sennheiser Momentum

VMODA M80 <- not as bassy as Beats or SMS, but amazing regardless

Monster DNA on-ear (seriously they're good)

Mikros 90 are like $60 on Newegg now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826532001

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 37
  Thanks for the suggestion.  I am sure they sound great.  I am not a fan of the way they look.  I work in a upscale office and I cant envision wearing these.  In addition no inline controls is a deal breaker at the end of the day.

so Beats would be acceptable in your "upscale office", but not the M50's? Sorry but that doesn't compute. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 37
  The Sony MDR-1R have caught my eye.  However to me they don't look collapsible and portable.  I watched a few videos and I haven't really seen anyone collapsing or touting its portability.  Could I be missing something?

Thanks!

they fold flat and come w/ a nice carrying pouch. I would consider them highly portable. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 37

Thanks!

They don't fold like the beats, but the earcups swivel, making the headphone flat and very very portable.
Also, give this a watch if you haven't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back